New ride for the son

Related:
Create New Tag

9/13/2009 10:32 AM

Hello, my son has got bitten by the BMX bug. He has rode for a little while now, and would like a nicer/better bike. He now rides a Haro x0. He has been dropping hints on bikes. Where we live, there are no bike shops really close, about 60 miles away. I gave them a call and informed them on what he is looking for. Their advise was a Subrosa Malum, its a complete, which most dont like. Here are the specs:

Subrosa Pandora 100% 4130 chromoly frame
Subrosa Pandora 100% 4130 chromoly fork
Subrosa 100% chromoly handlebars 8.0” rise
The Shadow Conspiracy Guttural grips
Subrosa alloy stem
Sealed integrated headset
36H double wall alloy rims
3/8 sealed alloy front hub14mm sealed alloy rear cassette hub
Steel pegs ( 2)
Tubular 3pc. chromoly cranks w/ sealed mid BB
Subrosa sprocket
25–9 micro gearing
The Shadow Conspiracy Interlock V2 chain
Wellgo alloy pedals
Tektro alloy U-brakes
Detangler with removeable tabs
The Shadow Conspiracy Alfred seat clamp
Subrosa Pivotal seat and post
The Shadow Conspiracy Undertaker tires
Color: gloss white
Weight: 27.5lbs

He rides mostly street/parks, really would like to keep it under 500 bucks. What do yall think? Thanks for the info.

|

9/13/2009 10:37 AM

Order from danscomp.com

|

Fly Bikes

9/13/2009 10:38 AM

i think you can get better for 500. let me look around. does he want brakes or not?

the new verde radia is AMAZING.

|

Vital's Official New Mod!

FOR SALE MUST CLICK!!!

9/13/2009 10:38 AM

I have not had it but it looks like a very solid bike. It should be able handle any riding your son could throw at it.

|

9/13/2009 10:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2016 9:51 PM

I would say try to find something with brakes, always nice to have if you need/want them for something.. easier to take them off then to buy a pair. There is plenty of excellent completes out there and there is nothing wrong with a complete for a first bike, since you don't know exactly what you want yet witch is the only reason to build your own. Check out the different bikes on danscomp.com Just try to get something that's decent and fairly priced and as he progresses he can always upgrade.

|

9/13/2009 10:42 AM

Yes, brakes would be nice. Also "I" would like a complete, just for the fact, like i stated, there are no shops locally to help with any "building issues" I sure would come up.

|

9/13/2009 10:44 AM

Bikes have became pretty easy to work on, but the Subrosa bikes are nice. there high quality from what I've seen. few people here have them and there happy with them.

|

9/13/2009 10:47 AM

If you order online and can't build it yourself, be prepared to add another 30-50$ or so for a bike shop to build it. They usually ship almost completely together, but in order to make the bike safe to ride, it needs more than just liberal tightening of bolts. I know you said you were looking at one from a shop, but most people here will recommend bikes at online retailers. So just letting you know.

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.

9/13/2009 10:50 AM

Well when you order one its pretty simple. Just put the front wheel on and adjust the handle bars and every thing else. they come mostly put to gather. I'd imagine you've worked on bikes before. I'm not necessarily suggesting getting it online, just checking the bikes out online. so you know what your looking for when you get to the shop, unless you'd rather pick it up online.

|

9/13/2009 10:54 AM

Great!! I just didnt want to get something that was on par with or with less quality parts than his Haro. Some things my son said that were required were, chromoly frame and forks, sealed hubs. He wanted something with 48h rims, but I guess later I can upgraded the 36h that come with this one. Thanks again for all the great info and knowledge. Im sure I will be back on more questions.

|

9/13/2009 10:57 AM

iismatthew wrote:

Well when you order one its pretty simple. Just put the front wheel on and adjust the handle bars and every thing else. they ...more

You shouldn't trust that the factory did everything correctly. I work at a shop, and it takes us about 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes to build a mountain bike or a road bike, and 45 minutes to an hour to build a bmx bike. You'd be surprised how messed up some bikes come in. On threaded bottom brackets, for instance, there's usually at least a bike every two weeks that came cross threaded from the factory. We've seen headset bearings upside down, wheels that were never dished (centered over the axle), frames completely skewed because of storage/shipping accidents, and post-mount brakes mushroomed so that the brake does not spring back. Most of these things are fixable, and they should be checked, and it should never be a "throw the front wheel on, tighten the headset, pump up the tires, and go" type of deal.

|

9/13/2009 11:25 AM

and btw, just throwing this in. when you get the bike from wherever in a box, tighten the back wheel. it wont seem loose but it always is.

not sure if that made sense but when you order a bike from somewhere, the back wheel is never fully tightened.

|

Vital's Official New Mod!

FOR SALE MUST CLICK!!!

9/13/2009 1:19 PM

crazysgt wrote:

Great!! I just didnt want to get something that was on par with or with less quality parts than his Haro. Some things my son ...more

most people ride 36 hole rims these days

|

9/13/2009 1:27 PM

Yeah upgrading to 48h lol. I'm sure 36h will be fine for him. Everyone I know rolls 36h front and back.

|

"swwyobmx"
so im balls deep in this bitch and she screams hurt me hurt me! so i pulled out and punched her in the fuckin mouth.

9/13/2009 1:32 PM

get one from danscomp

|

funtington wrote :Have a really fat friend who rides them and they are totally solid.
Then again he sucks at riding, then again he is fat as fuck.
refs: backagianthe4time, FTBZ,ScramHype(x2),,fitrider123,iridefly

9/13/2009 1:35 PM

|

Harold and Kumar Go To Taco Bell

ADD This

http://www.myspace.com/platinumbmx

9/13/2009 1:36 PM

if you're gunna get him a subrosa get him 1 with an armada frame.... they're lower which makes it easier to get your feet over for whips and cancans....

|

Easternbiker93 wrote: And Jesus said "Thou shall not find humorous people, but only sarcastic ass hats on Vital"
JustRideBMX wrote: I can't ride high. All I wanna do is ball up and cuddle with everything.

9/13/2009 1:37 PM

|

funtington wrote :Have a really fat friend who rides them and they are totally solid.

9/13/2009 1:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2009 2:17 PM

bmxrider1439 wrote:

if you're gunna get him a subrosa get him 1 with an armada frame.... they're lower which makes it easier to get your feet over ...more

Or he could learn to ride on a real bike.

Edit: Since every one thinks I have something against low frames. I am trying to make him(Bmxrider1439) See that having a super low bike his not going to make you have magical tail whip abilities.

|

9/13/2009 1:45 PM

bmxrider1439 wrote:

if you're gunna get him a subrosa get him 1 with an armada frame.... they're lower which makes it easier to get your feet over ...more

its cheating really

|

9/13/2009 1:47 PM

bmxrider1439 wrote:

Twisted654 wrote:

Edit: Since every one thinks I have something against low frames. I am trying to ...more

It is a real bike. Just cause you don't like it doesn't make it not a bike.

|

9/13/2009 1:48 PM

Also most pro bikes are 36 hole mainly because ( and I know someone will attack me for this) you don't need 48 hole unless you jump twenty stairs daily or you're 300 pounds. That said I doubt your child jumps down 20 stairs or weighs 300 pounds.

|

trails are not skateparks, they exist solely from the work and dedication of local riders. so next time you start complaining about not having local trails to ride, you only need look at yourself.
Bike check?

9/13/2009 1:49 PM

bmxrider1439 wrote:

Twisted654 wrote:

Edit: Since every one thinks I have something against low frames. I am trying to ...more

tibug wrote:

|

9/13/2009 2:10 PM

Twisted654 wrote:

tibug wrote:

ride a fit wrote:

45???

|

9/13/2009 2:14 PM

tibug wrote:

you are right, I was trying to make a point that just because you have a low bike it not going to give magical tail whip abilities.

|

9/13/2009 2:16 PM

Twisted654 wrote:

you are right, I was trying to make a point that just because you have a low bike it not going to give magical tail whip ...more

Gotcha. That makes more sense. It does make whips easier but doesn't make them easy. Agreed 100%. I will edit my post in the other thread accordingly.

|

9/13/2009 2:41 PM

Well, since everybody is like recommending different bikes, I will say to get the Subrosa Malum, as you have said. It is a real nice complete bike with parts that I'm sure won't break. It comes with a lot of Shadow parts, like theire chain for example. I believe Shadow is THE most legit company out there, and Subrosa is the sister company of Shadow. So I say buy it from the bike shop and let them worry about building it up.

|

Don't listen to me, I'm not on the list either!

Here's my blog: http://wcbmxscene.blogspot.com/

9/13/2009 2:45 PM

i am not big on subrosa but i do like the shadow stuff

|

sunday fo life fooools!!!!
aint nuthin better!
i am lovin the haters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9/13/2009 3:20 PM

have you looked at the new 2010 mirraco's???? i saw the orange luxstar and it looks so awsome and for 320, its really really nice! comes with a pivotal seat post and i picked it up and i was really light for a stock bike, i think it was like 26 pounds or less!

|

9/13/2009 3:22 PM

Twisted654 wrote:

tibug wrote:

Twisted654 wrote:

you are right, I was trying to make a point that just because you have a low bike it not going to give magical tail whip ...more

thank you! dude it really pisses me off when ppl say that, "it makes tail whips easy", there not easy with or without a low frame!

|