New rider at 25, need inputs

Related:
Create New Tag

7/25/2018 11:48 PM

(Sorry for the long post) Hey guys let me introduce myself I'm Matt I'm 25, I decided to start BMX because I've been trying to find a fun way to get in shape after kicking Leukemias ass, I've been in remission for 2 years now and although I'm still suffering from side effects I figured it's time to get off my butt and move on, find something I could dedicate myself to, have fun and get better at the same time.

I ordered myself a Wethepeople Reason 2017. Was it a wise choice for a beginner? I'm 5ft10 bike has a 20.75TT Haven't been on a bike for nearly 6 years and I don't know much about them, I looked basically for a full Chromo bike with a cassette and double wall rims, didn't want to start with a FC.

I have osteonecrosis in my feets and ankles meaning the bones are pretty fragile and prone to breaking, is there any ankles protection gear that you guys would suggest? I don't plan on getting into tricks for a while but better be safe than sorry. Also is anyone riding with prescription glasses? What do you suggest to prevent them from falling off?

All in all I'm pretty stoked and can't wait to get on the bike and simply enjoy life. If you guys have any advice at all I'd be glad to hear them. Thanks for taking the time to read!

|

7/26/2018 12:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/26/2018 1:15 AM

Sorry for the double post, don't see an option to delete this.

|

7/26/2018 12:54 AM

Welcome to the forum smile

Shadow make good pads and stuff I believe, pretty sure they have a good ankle guard/brace.

The best advice I can give you is to just have fun. Don't stress over tricks, they come with time. Just get used to being on the bike and everything else will follow

|

7/26/2018 2:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/26/2018 2:13 AM

Do a search on this forum for the Space Brace ankle protection. Should be a coupon code of hookmeupmike! I have a weak ankle and need to get one of these as well.

WTP make clean bikes, good choice.

Have fun riding!

|

7/26/2018 2:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/26/2018 2:31 AM

Ha! Actually just this minute bought a pair of the Space Brace; thanks for the motivation! Thespacebrace.com Vital coupon code HOOKMEUPMIKE!!! for 20% off. Looks like a good product.

|

7/26/2018 7:00 AM

Doctor_Evil wrote:

(Sorry for the long post) Hey guys let me introduce myself I'm Matt I'm 25, I decided to start BMX because I've been trying to find a fun way to get in shape after kicking Leukemias ass, I've been in remission for 2 years now and although I'm still suffering from side effects I figured it's time to get off my butt and move on, find something I could dedicate myself to, have fun and get better at the same time.

I ordered myself a Wethepeople Reason 2017. Was it a wise choice for a beginner? I'm 5ft10 bike has a 20.75TT Haven't been on a bike for nearly 6 years and I don't know much about them, I looked basically for a full Chromo bike with a cassette and double wall rims, didn't want to start with a FC.

I have osteonecrosis in my feets and ankles meaning the bones are pretty fragile and prone to breaking, is there any ankles protection gear that you guys would suggest? I don't plan on getting into tricks for a while but better be safe than sorry. Also is anyone riding with prescription glasses? What do you suggest to prevent them from falling off?

All in all I'm pretty stoked and can't wait to get on the bike and simply enjoy life. If you guys have any advice at all I'd be glad to hear them. Thanks for taking the time to read!

Dude, fuck YES! Congrats on beating Leukemia, that's huge and you should be ridiculously proud.

Great choice on the bike. If you're looking to just get into the sport or just riding, full chromo, double wall rims is good stuff. WTP Make really nice bikes, and some of the better completes on the market.

As far as the ankle/foot stuff - The Space Brace and a good pair of Vans Sk8 Hi-Pro (Make sure you get the PRO) are great. If you have the means, I also suggest checking out The Shadow Conspiracy Invisalite insoles. These will help absorb impact on your heels, which at least for me is where I usually find myself landing.
I immediately replace the insole of almost every shoe I own.

https://theshadowconspiracy.com/videogallery/shadow-invisa-lite-pro-insoles/


As far as the glasses go, I don't need/wear frames, but my buddy Jordan is in a metal band and goes fuckin crazy on stage, while wearing big black framed glasses. I'm *PRETTY* sure this is what he uses to keep them on, but I sent him a message asking to confirm.

https://www.amazon.com/Keepons-Original-Eyeglass-Sunglasses-Spectacle/dp/B00NQTGOTS

Welcome to the forum! Post up some pics of the bike once you get it.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

7/26/2018 9:58 AM

You've got some awesome answers to your questions already so I'll just say welcome to the forum and BMX in general. Oh and definitely get some protection for the feet and legs, those are the parts that usually get hammered the most. Slow and steady progression and taking it easy cuts out some of it tho.

P.S massive respect for beating the Leukemia and enjoying life despite the side effects and all that

|

7/26/2018 10:46 AM

Furyus George wrote:

Do a search on this forum for the Space Brace ankle protection. Should be a coupon code of hookmeupmike! I have a weak ankle and need to get one of these as well.

WTP make clean bikes, good choice.

Have fun riding!

I ride eith one on each ankle and it feels like it helps. Also wear them at work when I deliver mail.

|

7/26/2018 12:17 PM

Thank you guys so much, really appreciated. I'll keep all those great advices in mind but gear might have to wait a while as I've pretty much spent money I don't even have on the bike, but I needed to move on so I still jumped the gun ? Next purchases are definitely helmet and those moon braces, no clue how long it's going to have to wait tho. Really nice to be here, you guys seem like an amazing community, will definitely post pic of the bike when I'm done assembling it!

|

7/26/2018 1:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/26/2018 1:22 PM

Doctor_Evil wrote:

Thank you guys so much, really appreciated. I'll keep all those great advices in mind but gear might have to wait a while as I've pretty much spent money I don't even have on the bike, but I needed to move on so I still jumped the gun ? Next purchases are definitely helmet and those moon braces, no clue how long it's going to have to wait tho. Really nice to be here, you guys seem like an amazing community, will definitely post pic of the bike when I'm done assembling it!

I know it seems backwards but I would recommend getting pads and head protection before you start doing any tricks. If you are just starting out and want to start learning things (tricks) that dont come as naturally as riding the bike itself, you are going to crash or have to bail pretty frequently. I still crash landing flat on the ground at least once per session and bail a ton of times...especially if Im trying to learn something new. Simple Bails can often result in ankle/foot/leg injuries even if you dont fall all the way to the ground. Sometimes I walk away clean with maybe a cut/scrape or a bruise but other times I get pretty hurt and cant ride for a while.

Semi recently ripped the ligaments in half on my right foot... From a flat nose pivot 180. Took a LONG time before I could ride It still hurts every day. If I had ankle protection on, I guarantee you I would have been better off. wink

Learn from our mistakes! You will make enough of your own coming up! Lol

|

7/26/2018 3:14 PM

Oh I definitely won't be attempting any tricks other than maybe a bunny hop with no gear. Don't feel the need to break bones yet lol

|

7/26/2018 5:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/26/2018 5:31 PM

Sorry for bumping up this thread again but I got one last little question, in the bike description it says tapered ss and cs? Anyone care to explain what that means? I'm a little afraid it actually isn't 100% chromo now

|

7/26/2018 5:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/26/2018 5:40 PM

Doctor_Evil wrote:

Sorry for bumping up this thread again but I got one last little question, in the bike description it says tapered ss and cs? Anyone care to explain what that means? I'm a little afraid it actually isn't 100% chromo now

Tapered chain/seat stays is the same thing as tapered jeans or tapered anything. Basically it means the tubing is a thinner diameter at the dropout than it is at the seat tube. I believe (someone with more experience could probably correct me) that it adds strength.

If the frame is listed as full chromoly with tapered SS and CS, you're good to go!

By the way - no need to apologize for bumping your own thread with questions, I think I speak for most members when I say we'd rather have one "I'm a beginner and need to know some basic stuff" thread than have you make a new thread every time you have a question laughing

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

7/26/2018 5:44 PM

Alright, I'm reassured now haha thanks!

|

7/26/2018 6:08 PM

Dude, kick ass job beating leukemia! Yeah man, get some pads. As far as using BMX to get into shape, I did the same. Not necessarily riding got me into shape but I got into shape so I could ride better. Hasn't prevented me from getting injured but for some reason I keep riding.

|

7/26/2018 9:24 PM

Thank man, it's gonna be a pretty good start for me, I pretty much forgot how to use my legs lol, had to relearn how to walk and I can't even run properly still it's kind of hilarious when I do try to, especially at 25, sorry for the lack of word but I simply look retarded ??
Im so hyped to receive the bike and ride. Been so long since I've done anything that requires effort, it just means the world to me. Sorry I'm almost writing an autobiography here haha

|

7/26/2018 9:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/26/2018 9:39 PM

Congratulations on overcoming what you did, any bmx related injury you may suffer in your progression will be minor. Some advice I’d give is to forego pegs for a while until you are a bit comfortable with your bike control and strengthen your feet and legs up, as the times I’ve hit my ankle or heel the hardest have been on my peg particularly the the rear peg on my back foot side, but I’ve gotten my ankles and feet caught snagged and straight banged by my pegs (being reckless but still might be something to think about). Aside from that you have nothing to worry about.

|

account here is less about my and more about bike

7/26/2018 9:38 PM

|

account here is less about my and more about bike

7/26/2018 10:17 PM

Thanks man and thank you all for the great advices, I'll definitely ride with no pegs for a while, not like I'll be able to grind or anything like that anytime soon anyway, not in a hurry ?

|

7/26/2018 11:10 PM

Doctor_Evil wrote:

Sorry for bumping up this thread again but I got one last little question, in the bike description it says tapered ss and cs? Anyone care to explain what that means? I'm a little afraid it actually isn't 100% chromo now

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Tapered chain/seat stays is the same thing as tapered jeans or tapered anything. Basically it means the tubing is a thinner diameter at the dropout than it is at the seat tube. I believe (someone with more experience could probably correct me) that it adds strength.

If the frame is listed as full chromoly with tapered SS and CS, you're good to go!

By the way - no need to apologize for bumping your own thread with questions, I think I speak for most members when I say we'd rather have one "I'm a beginner and need to know some basic stuff" thread than have you make a new thread every time you have a question laughing

Sometimes conpanies use tapering to create extra clearance for pegs too! smile

|

7/27/2018 6:10 AM

Welcome to the forum. I recently joined myself. Congrats for beating cancer. Riding BMX is a great way to get and stay in shape.
At age 45 (46 in less than 2 months), I must also take a few extra precautions. I totally hambergered my shins the first 2 weeks so shin guards were the first purchase after gloves. Then a helmet and knee pads. I always ride the gloves and shin guards, but only use the helmet and knee pads on new tricks, more than 3 stairs, and the skate park transitions. The helmet and pads give me the extra confidence to send tricks I might not otherwise.
As previously stated, the tricks WILL come. Just a month ago I couldn't do half of what I can now.
At this point I just practice and ride for fun. I ride mostly street because I was a street skater for over 30 years and that's just what I prefer. I try new things only when I feel I am ready, and just let it all flow.
As for the fragile joints/bones, technique will be everything for you.
I find myself hucking the hell out of my bike to get my highest hops. I feel it bad by the end of the session too. Those braces, plus watching a lot of better riders landing flat helps immensely. When we are new, there is so much to think of in just a bunny hop. Pull up, jump, tuck, push the bars, and land back tire. Practice makes those component movements become unconscious. I believe that less "over thinking" equals smother riding with less effort, but I am still in the infancy stage of my riding.
Regardless,
Keep riding and stay safe!

|

Pull Up!

7/27/2018 11:43 AM

Thanks for the advices ? I definitely will be taking it slow. I'm in no hurry for tricks, I'm going to wait until I get all my gear at the very least. I'd rather be safe than break a bone and not be able to ride for months.

|