New rider help compression bolt

Related:
Create New Tag

5/30/2017 6:43 PM

I bought the WTP Crysis 2017 complete 21' and also bought the primo stevie headset to make the bars alittle taller but now the compression bolt is what I believe is called does not fit (cant tighten because bolt doesnt reach the thread)Can I buy any compression bolt or does it have to be a certain size? Can someone point me to the right direction?

|

5/30/2017 7:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/30/2017 7:29 PM

If your compression bolt doesn't reach your fork's steerer tube, then it sounds like your steerer tube is too short for the Stevie headset.

I had the same problem. On my stock forks, the tube height was very low, only allowing a few millimeters of space for spacers. My best guess is that your stock forks are the same story. I have a Stevie headset as well, but they only fit my aftermarket Odyssey R32 forks which have a much longer steerer tube.

Also, it is unsafe to run your stem above the steerer tube without contact with the steerer tube itself.

Mind posting a photo of your bike with only the headset on? In other words, remove your stem from the steerer so we can see how much room there is.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

5/30/2017 7:54 PM

Photo

Its about half an inch of steer tube exposed everything is stock

|

5/30/2017 8:10 PM

holy shit no, take that spacer off now. it's too tall for your forks, you need way more of the steerer tube in the stem than what you have.

|

5/30/2017 9:45 PM

The compression bolt isnt even half an inch so can I buy a bigger one that reaches the forks is that enough anchor or should I buy new forks all together?

|

5/30/2017 9:49 PM

Magunda wrote:

The compression bolt isnt even half an inch so can I buy a bigger one that reaches the forks is that enough anchor or should I ...more

You might wanna skip the hassle and just get a smaller spacer. It'd be way cheaper that way

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

5/30/2017 9:53 PM

Here's your options

-buy a new compression bolt that is longer, then have it snap & also possibly snap your stem & likely pinch the fuck out of the top of your steerer tube since you don't have enough room on your steerer tube for that spacer

-spend ~$150 on forks just to fit a taller spacer. Unless you need them or have stock forks currently, that's a bit extreme just to fit a taller headset spacer

-use smaller spacers AKA not that super tall one that takes up half your steerer tube

|

5/30/2017 10:08 PM

Thanks for the reponses ill just ride with the stock headset, Im not in a rush to change it i bought the stem from a friend who didnt want it anymore

|

5/30/2017 11:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/30/2017 11:13 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

holy shit no, take that spacer off now. it's too tall for your forks, you need way more of the steerer tube in the stem than ...more

This.

I used to only run a 5mm dust cap because my fit blades had a really short steerer tube. I have since upgraded to odyssey r25's and now I run 20mm of spacers and my steerer tube takes up all the space inside my stem.

So yea, switch back to the stock cap.

|