New school completes shelf life...

Related:
Create New Tag

5/11/2020 2:23 PM

Do you think the new completes will hold a place in people's hearts like a hutch trick star or pk ripper does in mine? If so, which ones today will carry a name and price tag premium like hutch and pk?

|

5/11/2020 4:09 PM

Sunday aftermarket completes and USA-Made Aftermarket builds are the future of BMX collectibles.

Cheap beginner level bikes will only hold value to those that might want one of their very first BMX bike, but there’s far too many compared to the 80’s - which means significantly smaller groups of people will be looking for them.

But only time will tell

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

5/11/2020 4:19 PM

Collectables is the word I was looking for

|

5/11/2020 4:42 PM

Trick Star, Master, RL-20B, etc..

Those are going to be hard to beat ever. The later 80s to BMX freestyle are like the late 50s to cars (had the biggest fins and sick chrome)...

New bikes just don't stand apart or look different from each other.. You could take just about any higher end frame from 1988 and sand blast it, cover it in mud, and still easily ID that frame from a distance. New school bikes the difference is so subtle between frames and companies..

I think some day brakeless USA made frames will have a cult following..

I want a brakeless USA made frame...

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

5/11/2020 5:15 PM

It's already happening with some NS stuff. Look at how much Bob bars go for. Or anything Skavenger. I'm thinking FBM soon, too (never mind the gold digging fucks selling their 2018 frames for $500 right now). I agree with Tim on the USA stuff and Sunday which arguably is already collectable.

The argument that "all NS stuff is the same" is bullshit. There were plenty of shit bikes in the 80s that looked a lot like GT's or whatever, and plenty of frames that weren't easily recognizable. Framestanders and crazy designs sucked so badly. On the flipside there's a lot of easily recognizable modern stuff. Using the "I can recognize your CW Phaze 1 frame snapping from across a field" metric is boring and stupid. But this argument has been beaten into the ground for so long so whatever.

|

5/12/2020 4:25 AM

I think there will be, and I think it will be any beloved brands that have closed their doors, and brands that stood out with colorways etc. Sunday/Odyssey etc will have a following, I could see some Colony stuff, but that would be more in Australia. FBM for sure, Lairdframe stuff I could see having that kind of a following in 20+ years too.

There will be some of that as the youngins grow up. I still love seeing a Macniel frame in the wild, which is pretty rare around here these days, but 15 years ago they were EVERYWHERE.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/12/2020 7:15 AM

Kinda like saying will modern day cars become sort after like muscle cars, not nearly the same. The nostalgia of an era that was an early stepping stone in the evolution of something will always be exactly that. Those that missed those various era's won't care for the collectable stuff as much, but the new school stuff isn't likely to have that same sense of nostalgia. The bikes evolution can't get much better beyond gimmicky stuff like reinventing cassette hubs that isn't really needed, or making super lightweight parts for a minority market.

|

5/15/2020 8:31 PM

Youd have to define NS to me..but the stuff now a days all looks the same and lacks character...a fiend frame vs a cult or bsd frame is all relatively the same other than geometry

I could see a laird frame in the future holding value or in 20 years ppl wanting to get their hands on oil slick parts and maybe some of these limited edition trey jones hand splattered pieces, but only because they are limited

For me, I wish I still had my original federal nation frame and wish I had extra money to buy one of the og standard sta's, terrible 1 barcodes or unique looking frames like 2 hip pork, kink empire, or eastern Hercules since the designs was so out there

Maybe there are collectors of it but I'm surprised some of the old clothing pieces arent more widely sought after like ecd,little devil or base brooklyn...maybe even tajs etnies or luc e's axion shoes

|

5/21/2020 1:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/21/2020 1:52 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Those are going to be hard to beat ever. The later 80s to BMX freestyle are like the late ...more

Because in the old days, to attract customers is by offering product that stands out, i will always remember the first time I lay my eyes on giant gmx275 with factory skyway tuff, I instantly fall in love with bmx, and In 1983, I saw GT for the first time and the visual impact it had on me still last until this day...

Today’s product is base off social media hype, they don’t need their product to be unique & stands out

If bsd, we the people, cult, etc... started in the 80’s ? Most likely it’s not going to survive even if they build good quality bike, it’s just not visually stunning..

Maybe a handfuls or frames could be collectibles.... but that’s it...

|

5/21/2020 10:58 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Those are going to be hard to beat ever. The later 80s to BMX freestyle are like the late ...more

Fit has a USA made brakeless frame or 2, no?

|

5/21/2020 12:07 PM

HtownGetDown wrote:

Fit has a USA made brakeless frame or 2, no?

Yep, Fit Mixtape/ Mixtape XL.

There's also the S&M NBD frame.

|