New steel!

Related:
Create New Tag

1/14/2018 8:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/14/2018 8:54 AM

|

1/14/2018 9:44 AM

Very interesting, I'd say it'll be a few years before they properly figure out the mass-production process though. Hopefully, it doesn't become one of those proprietary alloys that cost way too much for most industries to ever see the benefit of.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/14/2018 11:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/14/2018 11:54 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

Very interesting, I'd say it'll be a few years before they properly figure out the mass-production process though. Hopefully, ...more

Oh, you know it will be... Just like any of the others... Sanko, Reynolds 853, etc....

|

1/14/2018 12:12 PM

Bikes don't need to be lighter though really. I'm sure it will have other awesome uses, and might be worth it for some small parts though. As for cost, bmx stuff is cheap as it is. If a mtb company made a limited run of frames and let you pick a few aspects of the build, and they were made in the US (like T1 barcodes), they'd cost over a grand and no one would moan about it

|

1/14/2018 3:46 PM

I wouldn’t trust it , last I heard Korea shot a missile off and it landed in their own country , I wouldn’t back their worksmanship

|

1/14/2018 3:56 PM

eskimojay wrote:

I wouldn’t trust it , last I heard Korea shot a missile off and it landed in their own country , I wouldn’t back their ...more

South Korea makes a lot of good stuff. I'd almost put their product quality on par with Japanese made products. I'd imagine it's the kind of thing they can license out to manufacturers so it could be made in the US or Taiwan.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/14/2018 5:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/14/2018 5:40 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Very interesting, I'd say it'll be a few years before they properly figure out the mass-production process though. Hopefully, ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Oh, you know it will be... Just like any of the others... Sanko, Reynolds 853, etc....

Sanko is just a metal company in Japan that provides materials to the factories that manufacture the frames over seas. Their 4130 Chromoly is not any more expensive than any other 4130 Chromoly. If anything, it's probably cheaper.

Reynolds is a metal company in England that makes tube sets specifically for building bicycle frames. They sell multiple different alloys of Chromoly for different purposes, so the prices vary. They're definitely more expensive since they only make/sell on bicycle tubing as opposed to all different kinds of metals. They might claim their 4130(525) tubes are stronger, but that could just be a gimmick.

853 is Reynold's high quality Chromoly. Sanko likely offers a similar or same Chromoly for a higher price as well. "Reynolds makes a 4130 called Reynolds 525. It's a general all-purpose tube - less expensive than 853."
|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/14/2018 5:42 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote: Sanko is just a metal company in Japan that provides materials to the factories that manufacture the frames over seas. Their ...more

I'm well aware. The point I was making is that I'm sure if it ever came about for bmx tubing, companies would alloy it to make it special & proprietary, then upsell it.

|

1/14/2018 5:47 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I'm well aware. The point I was making is that I'm sure if it ever came about for bmx tubing, companies would alloy it to make ...more

I think this stuff will be a whole lot more expensive than anything Sanko or Reynolds has to offer.

There's already plenty of metals that would make a stronger or lighter substitute to 4130, but at the end of the day, nobody in the right mind would build a bike with them. It could very easily be cheaper to gold plate a bike and then have it custom wrapped in Versace leather, than to build a bike out of the best possible materials..

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/14/2018 6:09 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote: Sanko is just a metal company in Japan that provides materials to the factories that manufacture the frames over seas. Their ...more
Mishinn_Control wrote:

I'm well aware. The point I was making is that I'm sure if it ever came about for bmx tubing, companies would alloy it to make ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I think this stuff will be a whole lot more expensive than anything Sanko or Reynolds has to offer.

There's already plenty of ...more

Well, according to the article, it's stronger and lighter than titanium. Of course, that doesn't mean it'll be economical for bmx use for some time or cheaper/more useful than Chromoly

|

1/15/2018 12:34 PM

They didn't say it was stronger than chromoly, or even regular hi-ten. Just because it's stronger than titanium, doesn't mean it's stronger than 4130, or that bikes are a good application of the material.

|

1/15/2018 12:50 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

They didn't say it was stronger than chromoly, or even regular hi-ten. Just because it's stronger than titanium, doesn't mean ...more

That is true. But, it would stand to reason that since it is stronger than titanium, that it would have the strength for a frame. Whether or not it is stronger than 4130 & would be applicable to a BMX frame design is up for debate.

|