New tires...wider?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/14/2013 11:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/14/2013 11:17 AM

I'm about to buy new tires and have a question. What's the benefit of having wider tires?

I mostly ride at a concrete park and some street. Recommendations on tire width and brand/type. Currently i'm using kendra kontacts that came on the bike and I don't like them.

My current front is 2.25 and back is 1.95.

|

8/14/2013 11:16 AM

I ride wider tires kinda because i get more leaning ability.. thats about it

|

ı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨

8/14/2013 11:35 AM

Look into...

Cult Deharts - They come up A LOT wider than what they are listed though so you could have problems with them fitting your Frame & Forks.

Animal GLH/TWW/MTT - Any Animal Tyre really they are all awesome.

Odyssey Chase Hawk/Aitken/A.Ross - All of them come in massive sizes & Odyssey Tyres are some of the best!

Fit FAF/FAF-K 2.25"/2.3" - Oddly the 2.25" is wider than the 2.3" but i think that's because of the more aggressive Dirt style Tread.

Demolition Momentum/Machete - Been hearing really good things about these Tyres & they come in HUGE sizes.

Fly Bikes Ruben/Rampera Tyres - These are some of the best Tyres ever! The Ramperas are fucking HUGE too.

Primo LD/WLT Tyres - These have just come out but come in a 2.3" size & they do look reeeeally nice.

Shadow Strada - Come in 2.3" sticky street compound & tread, look pretty good.

United Direct/Swerve/Indirect - These Tyres are pretty damned big too. Not heard a great deal about them though.

|

8/14/2013 11:40 AM

I always hear good things about the chase hawks so i'll probably lean towards those if they are good for concrete park.

What's the benefit of the wider tires? Wider in the front or back, or both , what do you recommend topsey?

|

8/14/2013 11:48 AM

Wider Tyres offer better grip, but they roll slower. I haven't had a lot of experience with wider tyres in the back & i have never ridden anything over 2.25" in the Front. I myself will be running 2.35" Deharts on my new bike. I'm sure there are guys on here that have more experience with the super wide tyres & could fill you in.

|

8/14/2013 11:54 AM

Meh... I prefer thin Tyres, I just ordered two GLHs, one 1.95" and one 2.1".

|

8/14/2013 12:00 PM

Topsey wrote:

Wider Tyres offer better grip, but they roll slower. I haven't had a lot of experience with wider tyres in the back & i ...more

It's a love/hate thing with wide tires. They're great for rail rides & traction but they roll slower. And they make hard 180's harder as they hit the ledge/rail sooner than a narrow tire would. And when you get into 2.4 inflated width it's a royal pain cause you have to keep your wheel super straight so they dont rub. And don't watch the actual size, watch for inflated width as that and the listed size are almost never the same. I would recommend measuring the width of your frame betwen the chainstays to see how wide of a tire will fit

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

8/14/2013 12:06 PM

I like both, ran super thin tires and super fat tires before, I think it's all personal preference.

I always run the bigger tire in front though, I think it absorbs more impact and doesn't hurt my wrists as much, plus they make a good sound when doing buttery rollouts.

I'm currently running a temporary 1.95 tire in the back, only cause I had it laying around, but I usually run 2.2 in the back, I think it's better for manuals.

Also, theres less rolling resistance with thinner tires, which is a plus cause I use my bike as transportation a lot, idk if you do too.

|

Email: mccheesekid@gmail.com
Instagram: @McCheeseKid

Bought from: hrin, Me?, ecuadevil, regalracing, Dolphin

8/14/2013 12:11 PM

Most people ride wide tires in the front, narrow in the back. Or some people just ride both of the same size. No one really ever rides a wider tire in the back cause that just kills your rolling resistance. And yes, wider/fatter tires do slow your rolling down a bit but it sure does give you more control. I love running huge tires and smallest I'd ever go would be like 2.15 which is the Fly Ruben tire. That thing was great.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

8/14/2013 1:06 PM

I would recommend Fit FAFs 2.25 or Chase Hawks from my experience, and a lot of people like Aitkens.

|

"It's not a scooter, it's a bike." - Van Homan
My Fit

8/14/2013 1:31 PM

Topsey wrote:

Look into...

Cult Deharts - They come up A LOT wider than what they are listed though so you could have problems with them ...more

The united swerves suck had them 2 months and they showed like close to no wear but I poped tubes so often that I just sold my bike. I know I could of bought new tires but Didn't have any money and then I sold the bike and now im looking for another one

|

Bang Bang bmx

8/14/2013 1:53 PM

Topsey wrote:

Look into...

Cult Deharts - They come up A LOT wider than what they are listed though so you could have problems with them ...more

I just recently bought a Dehart 2.35 whitewall, was not nearly as big as its been posted. Was also a very difficult tire to put on and off the rim. Could be due to how thick it is. As I wished this was as big as listed, unfortunately it isnt.

Had the Indirect 2.35 and the Direct 2.3 white stripe versions, these are also not as big as listed. United also lists the diameter smaller then what danscomp says. These are nice tires though. The indirect feels as it would be very grippy on all terrain. Danscomp has the Indirect 2.35 listed as the same size as a Machete tire , its not. Machete tire was still bigger a 80psi compared to an Indirect at 110 psi.

Demolition Machete, love it!! The 2.35 is almost as big as a premium refuse resist tire however, its not as high so it will fit in most forks and frames without problems. I highly recommend these to anyone looking for what could be one of the biggest tires. The Momentum is also big a well, Machete is wider , Momentum is higher. Either way, Demolition tires are big!! I prefer the Machete out of the both of them. Both are very good but the Machete is thicker and has a more aggressive tread pattern. I am very happy with these tires and have purchased another set in 2.35/2.25 for my other wheelset. As of now these are my favorite!

Fly Rampera is said to be the biggest, wasnt when I had them. The machete is bigger. I had the tanwalls, fly lists them on their site as 2.3, not 2.35 which is on the tire and most sites. The 2.35 black version may be bigger, I have yet to hear from Fly if the casing sizes are different however , the casing is different on the tanwalls. Its thinner making it lighter.

Hawk 2.4 are big, not as big as a Machete but still big. Therese are slightly smaller, enough to where I can feel a difference in my front. Wish this tire was a little bigger, Odyssey could have probably done this in a 2.5 , Ive ran these in my Fiend and Odyssey R25 forks with plenty of room to go bigger. I would recommend these tires as well. Ive noticed heavy landings feel much softer with them compared to other tires Ive ridden. Ive rode these at 100psi and they absorb a lot when landing hard. I have the P-lytes in 2.40 and 2.20. Highly recommended!

Animal tires are average size but very good tires. The Demo 2.35 tires and hawks 2.40 are bigger then the GLH and TWW in their biggests sizes. I have GLH wire bead and TWW folding. Fly tanwalls were bigger too.. These tires will last you a long time.

Ive no experience with Fit tires, Id say their sizes are comparable to animal from what Ive seen on others bikes.. Im waiting for the 2.40 night visions tires to come out.

No idea on the Primo or Strada, have never rode them, seen them in person or seen anyone riding them.

If you arent used to riding a massive tire in front then anyone one listed will work. Ive been running the Premium Refuse Resists up front for years. Finding a tire to replace it has been difficult. What Ive always wanted was a tire thats comparable in size but I could run near 100 psi. The Premium I run between 70-80 psi in R25 forks. I wanted something where I could easily remove my wheels for transportation and easily put on. With the premium Id always have to lift my wheel in the dropout, tried to get it straight to prevent rubbing...etc. In all the Machete tire was what I wanted, had the width but not height making it easy to fit without any problems. I need a tire that was just slightly smaller and this was it it. So glad I took the chance on getting these.

If you like the Hawks, go for it!! These feel really good when riding and they are an extremely well made product.

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

8/14/2013 2:36 PM

ThugLifeBmxRiderz wrote:

The united swerves suck had them 2 months and they showed like close to no wear but I poped tubes so often that I just sold my ...more

my mate had a pair of them and he had the same thing, CONSTANT punctures, all the time, they get pierced so easily, now he rides 2.25 deharts.... seem legit, he doesnt get punctured anymore anyway

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

8/14/2013 2:40 PM

Once I'm done with my tires I'm getting demolitions 2.0 or 2.2 not too big not too small.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

8/14/2013 2:52 PM

Topsey wrote:

Look into...

ThugLifeBmxRiderz wrote:

The united swerves suck had them 2 months and they showed like close to no wear but I poped tubes so often that I just sold my ...more

EddiMundo wrote:

my mate had a pair of them and he had the same thing, CONSTANT punctures, all the time, they get pierced so easily, now he ...more

Deharts are THICK!!!! The structure of them is very stiff too. Tire does feel very solid when in hand. Im sure riding as well they are very good and will last a long time .

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

8/14/2013 5:09 PM

Ok well I'm currently riding the 2.25 up front and the 1.95 in back. Let's say i'm going to go with the Chase Hawks ( assuming they are good for park+street). If I wanted to go up to wider for more stability how much wider should I go? I don't want a huge change but I have noticed some slipping on my current tires.

|

8/14/2013 6:09 PM

Well if i were you i'd go for the 2.4" up Front & the 2.2" in the Rear. So you're bumping up both Tyres to a larger size but you aren't going mega huge in the back too.

|

8/14/2013 7:52 PM

My friend has 3 or 4 year old deharts. Been on and off multiple bikes and passed around from him to 2 people now back to him. Still look almost new. 2.10s are just about a 2.2 not as big as they say.

|

Instagram

Refs:tomdon x4,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

8/15/2013 1:57 AM

Topsey wrote:

Wider Tyres offer better grip, but they roll slower. I haven't had a lot of experience with wider tyres in the back & i ...more

Dude, Deharts are the WORST tire I have ever run. Mine looked nice and fat, but that's where the happiness stopped. They had bulges, which made them ride funny, and had lousy grip, which made them slip out at times when my Dirt path/ Aitkens gripped assuredly. The other issue was punctures. 2 flats in 3 days. And, no, not pinch flats or installation error. I would honestly steer clear, but that's just me. smile

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

8/15/2013 2:02 AM

Tom white walls are the way to go. By far the best tire I have ever owned. I regret ever getting rid of mine the first time. Luckily I got another set going on my whip and this time they're staying

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

8/15/2013 4:21 AM

But for all of those posers you gotta admit big tires look good wink

|

8/15/2013 6:33 AM

ThugLifeBmxRiderz wrote:

Umm you sold your bike because you got punctures....?

|

8/15/2013 6:52 AM

Use Motorcycle tires.

|

ı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨

8/15/2013 6:53 AM

If you want some good grippy tires for both park use and street use, get Shadow Stradas.
I'm currently riding some and I am quite happy with them, the thing is they have a really soft and grippy compound, but yet roll very smooth because if its slick thread.

Otherwise I would always recommend Odyssey Aitkens, I have always considered them more of a street oriented tire.

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"