New to BMX - General/Bike Help

Related:
Create New Tag

11/26/2016 3:51 PM

Hey guys, BMX has really grabbed my interest and I really wanna try it out, I've rode a bike before but not a proper BMX. I used to skate for about 3 years but I live in a bad neighborhood to skate in, everything is super sketchy, no legit spots, and people pick on skateboarder kids and not like verbal abuse, they'd beat your ass and take your deck. A hassle I'd rather not deal with. Anyways, BMX got my attention, I'm all for trying new shit and BMX is definitely something I wanna try.

I'm looking to buy this bike: http://www.the-house.com/qfrattp20rnf16zz-framed-bmx-bikes.html

Not sure if it's good or not but I know it has a Full Chromoly Body and it's like the perfect length for me. [I read that somewhere] So let me know if this is a good bike and if their is anything I should know before jumping straight into this.

|

11/26/2016 5:35 PM

the chromoly stuff is solid, but all of the bearings are unsealed so you would have to replace those pretty quickly as they will collect dirt and then "gum up" and not work cleanly. Some of the other parts might not be stellar, but you could replace them with better parts as they break with normal wear and tear.

Won't the same thugs hassle you with a bike, or would you just ride somewhere else?

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

11/26/2016 8:24 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

the chromoly stuff is solid, but all of the bearings are unsealed so you would have to replace those pretty quickly as they ...more

Thanks dude, I'll definitely do that when I get this thing. They shouldn't hassle me as much, people like bikes around here over skateboards, not sure why. If anyone does try to mess with me I can just ride away. I couldn't really do that on a skateboard because the streets and sidewalks are so trash you'll just be slowed down by rocky pavement and rocks are rampant, which is also a reason I couldn't just skate on the streets around here and we don't have parks nearby so..kinda stuck riding rocky roads.

I'm stoked to try this, I'll get that feeling of progression and learning again. We all know BMXer or Skater, no feeling better than landing a new trick, let alone mastering a new skill.

|

11/27/2016 7:19 PM

The Mongoose Mode 900 is just about the greatest bike of all time for it's price range. You can't go wrong with it.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

11/27/2016 8:06 PM

...and I would add to what readybmxer said...fort he price, you can't beat the Mode 900...it is definitely a better bike than the Framed due to what you get for the price

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

11/30/2016 3:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/30/2016 3:17 PM

Thats framed isnt worth 500 like the ad says. Its worth about what it costs, and thehouse is the only place that carries them so they can say whatever they want. Price is an easy indication of how good the bike is. A good complete is like 600. If your gonna spend that much though you might as well just build a custom. If you spend time shopping around, getting things on sale, used frame, and parts. You can build your own bike for like 400, and its probably gonna be better than that $600 complete. If you dont want to build one i would try and find a used bike on craigslist. You can find a nicer bike than the mongoose for like $100. Just dont get the framed. I have never heard anything good about them. Personally i wouldnt get the mongoose either

|

11/30/2016 3:39 PM

Whats your price range?

|

"Jason Bourne, its Jesus Christ"

12/2/2016 3:41 AM

chrisbmx24 wrote:

Whats your price range?

I'm on about a 300-400 dollar budget. My birthday is approaching quickly so if I don't get any really good suggestions I'll probably just go with the Mongoose.

|

12/2/2016 4:15 AM

I'd recommend that one
Unless u have big bucks, go for the mongoose

|

"Jason Bourne, its Jesus Christ"

12/2/2016 4:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/2/2016 4:51 AM

Regarding the thugs and chase part.

Sometimes a bike will get you caught too. A fit person will accelerate faster than a bike sad
So running on your own two feet is the best option smile)

But, let me give you a life-hack regardless whether you are on your bike/skate/feet.

Always have a pouch of bearing balls at hand.
10mm 8mm

While you run or pedal away, and feel that your attacker is gaining up on you and will catch you, drop them at your back.
And pray that he doesn't hit his head smile)

I know that this is dangerous, but hey, better his mamma cries than your mamma! smile)

|

12/2/2016 3:04 PM

am-shaegar wrote:

Sometimes a bike will get you caught too. A fit person will accelerate faster than a ...more

but with a bike you can carry a wrench and not get shit frmo the 5/0.

beat em with a wrench if you cant outrun em lol

but yeah, id go with a mongoose... or if you dont mind going used, check your local craigslist in your price range... you can get some killer deals

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

12/2/2016 3:33 PM

sketchytravis wrote:

but with a bike you can carry a wrench and not get shit frmo the 5/0.

beat em with a wrench if you cant outrun em lol

but ...more

Hahaa, yeah!

I never thought about something like this because in my country we have a shitty self defense legislation.
Basically, if a thief enters your house and you manage to catch him and try to stop him from leaving, while the police gets here, you can go to jail for kidnapping :|
That is unless you are rich and know some corrupt officials, in this case you can shoot your wife's lover and say that he was a thief, and get away with it ... true story smile)

P.S. That last part with the "killer deals" , was that a pun? smile))

|

12/2/2016 5:07 PM

am-shaegar wrote:

Sometimes a bike will get you caught too. A fit person will accelerate faster than a ...more

Haha! That's like some shit from Bully. You know the Rockstar game? You could drop marbles whenever you were getting chased by a group of people and they'd all fall and tumble over each other.

|

12/2/2016 5:22 PM

Also I wanted to know how important is sizing of a bike? I understand that I have to fit onto he bike comfortably but things like handle bar height, handle bar length, crank size, tire size etc. How important is this stuff to the rider? I've had a bike before, I'd hope every kid has had a bike before, but the size of the bike never really mattered I was pretty comfortable on any bike I've ever ridden. Nothing customized, cut, replaced or anything. Just complete a bike from Wal-Mart.

|

12/3/2016 5:26 AM

tedthesailor wrote:

Also I wanted to know how important is sizing of a bike? I understand that I have to fit onto he bike comfortably but things ...more

It's more about customising it so it works best for what you want. So you won't know what you want until you've ridden a little while and thought about what would work best for you

|