New to BMX, first new bike?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/19/2018 12:19 AM

Hey there, first post! I’m looking at the kink liberty or maybe the gap xl? And I’m also looking at the Sunday colony endeavor. This will be my first BMX bike and first time riding a bike in general in about 10 years.

I’m a bigger guy, 5”11 about 270ish. So I guess full chromoly and double wall wheels is the best way to go according to others. So what of these bikes or others would you recommend? The only thing is the new kink like doesn’t start to ship for a couple weeks according to danscomp and my local bike shop so unless it’s really worth the wait I don’t see why I would.

I’d like to stay between 350-600ish is dollars. I know I’m gunna have to pay more probably because I’m bigger.

|

4/19/2018 1:00 AM

The gap isn't full chromoly. The colony endeavour has pretty responsive geometry. I guess it all depends what you intend to do on them. You might need to buy extra parts to dial it in for yourself.

You could get a good second hand custom and have change for upgrades. There's plenty of Facebook groups selling bmx's and parts. That's where I'd start looking personally. We can always have a look at the spec to let you know if it's worth it

|

4/19/2018 1:03 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

The gap isn't full chromoly. The colony endeavour has pretty responsive geometry. I guess it all depends what you intend to do ...more

I’m really just looking to ride around and learn tricks like bunny hops, grinds, stuff like that. Not really any dirt riding.

So no matter what I’m gunna but I’m gunna have to upgrade, are they not that fat friendly out of the box? Haha

|

4/19/2018 1:33 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

The gap isn't full chromoly. The colony endeavour has pretty responsive geometry. I guess it all depends what you intend to do ...more

aggripaDaRippa wrote:

I’m really just looking to ride around and learn tricks like bunny hops, grinds, stuff like that. Not really any dirt riding.
...more

It's not that, just personal preference things really. But I guess you'll get used to it. And you won't know what you like until you've tried a few different things anyway.

|

4/19/2018 4:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/19/2018 5:39 AM

Of the list (and taking into account, prices) I'd say the Kink Liberty is your best bet/value if you are looking to save a bit of money & upgrade later as parts need replacing (they all do, eventually). Not to say that the Liberty needs anything... it doesn't. It should be good to go right out of the box, as any new complete you buy should. Like Steve said, the Gap is NOT full chromoly & while I always advise full chromoly if you can swing it, in your case, being an adult, I think from a longevity standpoint, full chromoly is your best bet. The Colony Endeavor is the best spec'd of the bike listed. It is $150-$200 more than the Liberty (from what I saw), however, so that is up to you. They are becoming harder to come by, but if you can find the Eastern Shovelhead, that is a great bike for the money ($459). full cromo, 48 splined cranks, double wall, sealed everything. The Eastern Natural is also another option in your price range ($599). Another great spec'd bike. Lastly, if you are on a budget & not sure if you are going to be in it for the lang haul, take a look at t he Mongoose Legion L100. While not the best of bikes out there, it is very impressive for the $280 or so dollars (forum members have scored open box items for as low as $180!). It's full chromoly frame, fork, bars, cranks. Now, I'm not saying the Mongoose is (or is not) similar to anything listed above.... just another option if you are iffy on the sport and reluctant to spend more money. There are a few more companies I think you could do well with in that price range. Fit, WTP, etc... You can do the research but I wouldn't set your sites on just one brand without looking at all the manufacturers... and don't forget your local bike shop (but it sounds like you have contacted them already). Lastly, as Steve eluded, the used market is a great place to score a great deal. The resale market is shit for BMX so on your budget, there's no reason you couldn't score a bike similar to the Kink Liberty at half the cost of new. If you are leaning toward the Liberty, I'd take the time (while you wait for stock) to look at the used market (FB marketplace, craigslist, etc...) & see what you could score. Just be sure you know what you are looking at. Google whatever you find & check the specs for whatever bike is being sold & try to discern if it is what they say it is & check here with anything you might find. Good luck & welcome to the forum and sport!

|

4/19/2018 6:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/19/2018 6:01 AM

Make sure and check the spoke tension of ANY wheel, aftermarket or not, before you start doing tricks. Learn how to keep your spokes tight and your wheels true. smile

|

4/19/2018 6:54 AM

aggripaDaRippa wrote:

Hey there, first post! I’m looking at the kink liberty or maybe the gap xl? And I’m also looking at the Sunday colony ...more

Just a warning - I would advise against purchasing a complete through DansComp. They've gotten worse and worse about inventory, shipping, and customer service lately, to the point where I've chosen not to order things they even have on clearance for fear of never getting my items.

Especially on a complete, and especially because they aren't even "ready to ship" (loosely defined in their current situation) I would try to source one as local as possible. Bike shops will almost always be able to order something for you, and probably give you a break on assembly too (which If you buy a complete with any kind of warranty, it will stipulate that a professional mechanic assembles the bike in order to honor said warranty)

Also, 100000000% what Bullet said. I was about 280-290 when I bought my first BMX complete. The first thing to go was the crank arm. That sent me flying into the back of a minivan, so you may want to upgrade cranks first.

Second thing to "go" were the wheels. They didn't bend or break, but they got loose and I had to constantly wrench on the spokes (without any idea what I was doing) So I eventually borked the nipples and spokes, kept getting friction flats, and just said f**k it and bought new wheels.

If I had learned how to properly tension and tighten spokes, I could've saved a few hundred bucks, or at least given my wheels some more life.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

4/19/2018 7:09 AM

Man, and I thought I was heavy! You guys weight more than I do at less height!
No offense, welcome to the club though (the heavyweight club)

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/19/2018 7:40 AM

aggripaDaRippa wrote:

Hey there, first post! I’m looking at the kink liberty or maybe the gap xl? And I’m also looking at the Sunday colony ...more

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Just a warning - I would advise against purchasing a complete through DansComp. They've gotten worse and worse about ...more

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing about Dan's. I don't want to badmouth anyone but from my own (and others) experience, it seems they often advertise product as being in stock (or at least it appears to be in stock) when they don't actually have the item. When everybody else shows "out of stock" but Dan's says they have it, I'd be weary. We also had a forum member who had a Dan's staffer lie to them directly one the phone about something they didn't have in stock. That said, I don't think anyone has actually been ripped off, per se, but if you order a bike or part and expect it within a week, you might not see it for several weeks in that scenario.

|

4/19/2018 5:49 PM

So where would you guys order off of?

Also how much needs to be put together when it arrives? I’m pretty handy but I don’t know if I have what I’ll need

|

4/19/2018 6:58 PM

Albes, or Empire BMX.

Albes has a 12% off promo: LastChance
|

4/19/2018 7:02 PM

aggripaDaRippa wrote:

Also how much needs to be put together when it arrives? I’m pretty handy but I don’t ...more

From what I've seen out of the box pretty much everything needs to be put together but the bottom bracket is already installed so it's pretty streamline also you may want to take it to your local bike shop first and have them put it together just so whatever warranty you'll have with the bike doesn't go void.

|

Ride your bike.

Eat your vegetables.

Stay off Twitter.

- TheDarkEnergist

The Whip

4/19/2018 7:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/19/2018 7:20 PM

aggripaDaRippa wrote:

Also how much needs to be put together when it arrives? I’m pretty handy but I don’t ...more

Any bike you get will come with everything installed except the front wheel, handlebars, seat/seat post, pedals. Here's the thing tho... It's really just a basic setup. All the screws should really be pulled & the threads greased, everything should be checked for tightness/alignment. Keep in mind most companies "require" a bike be built by a qualified bike mechanic for the warranty to be valid. That said, I don't know of a single warranty event ever they've we've checked.

For tools, you'll most likely need a set of metric hex keys (at the very least, a 4,5,6'm) a pedal spanner wrench (or you might be able to get away with a 9/16 or 15mm opened end wrench) some grease, a 15, 17, & 19 mm socket, a medium extension, and racket wrench. That should cover most everything you'll need. Oh.. A tow pump or compressor would be useful as the toes are usually just barely inflated during shipping.

There's more to building up a bike & there are tips, etc... For proper setup. Things like lightly greasing the seat post tube beefier installing your seat post. Likewise, your pedal threads could be greased before install.

|