New to BMX, need help

Related:
Create New Tag

7/23/2016 12:57 PM

I am new to BMX, and have no experience, and am looking for a bike. My budget is around $300, I may be able to go a little higher though. I am 5' 10", and weigh about 135 lbs. I was wondering what size bike I should get, maybe a 20.75" inch top tube with 20 in wheels. But I am not sure. Also I do not know where to buy a bike my size, in that budget.

|

7/23/2016 1:19 PM

Regarding where to buy, it varies across your local area. But, when buying, do your research prior and do it well.

Some things to look for in a good bike:
- 100% ChroMoly frame, fork, and handlebar
- Integrated & sealed headset
- Sealed wheel bearings
- Sealed BB (bottom bracket)

There is, however, a bike by Mongoose. It's called the Mode 900. It is very good for its price and features pretty much all the "good" specs of a BMX bike. It's simply the best for its price range.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

7/24/2016 1:27 AM

For $300 look at an SE Everyday or Kink Kurb. Neither of these bikes are great but for a beginner with a small budget these will do nicely. Just check around places like Danscomp for deals and do some research before you buy. I suggest going to your local shop and see what they think for sizes.
Hope this helps.

|

7/24/2016 7:33 AM

I picked up a SE hoodrich for 320 and it has double walled rims, sealed hubs, mid bb, integrated headset and 100% full chromoly. Best bike I could find for around that price and I did alot of research. You can find some really good deals on Craigslist if u don't mind getting a used bike. If I knew what I know now that's what I would of done.

|

7/24/2016 6:04 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Regarding where to buy, it varies across your local area. But, when buying, do your research prior and do it well.

Some ...more

I agree, Mode 900 all the way. Will have some money left over to upgrade some stuff as well if he wanted to.

|

"haha, did you steal that bike? hurhrhrurhurr" "no, fuck you thats just the brand."

7/25/2016 9:29 AM

as many have said, you want the skeletal structure of your bike to be solid. to me, that is frame, forks, cranks, pedal axels, things that are going to bear the brunt of weight transfer in tricks...all should be full chromoly; the sealed hubs and bottom bracket would be next for smooth ride and endurance of those parts themselves. Double walled wheels would be next.

For me, anything after the things mentioned above is just "eye candy"...

to add to the Mongoose mode 900 and that SE bike that sounds awesome, I would also check out the Hoffman 'Bama complete. The skeletal structure is all chromolly. Other parts could be replaced as you need. I almost considered this bike, but then decided to wait and spend more money and go all out with a Verde Luxe

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence