New to Bmx tips?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/5/2018 6:12 PM

Hey all ☺ I'm new to the site and to the world of BMX, I got my first for my birthday an X rated Dekka Photo

Never had an interest into BMX till I got mine. However not sure really where to start or what tricks I could begin with. Or wether it's just better to ride around for a while, as I was never really adventurous with any of my standard bikes.

Much thanks

|

6/5/2018 6:52 PM

Just ride around, find your feet. Balance, bike control. Do some manuals, find some slabs and see how many lines you can manual. Hop up and down some kerbs.

|

6/5/2018 7:08 PM

jbales wrote:

Just ride around, find your feet. Balance, bike control. Do some manuals, find some slabs and see how many lines you can manual. Hop up and down some kerbs.

Kerbs

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

6/5/2018 7:17 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Kerbs

Curbs is US English and Kerbs is UK English. Lol

|

6/5/2018 7:38 PM

jbales wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Kerbs

jbales wrote:

Wait for real? I didn't know that!!! Hmmm, strange, I like 'kerbs' more lol

|

6/6/2018 12:49 AM

jbales wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Kerbs

jbales wrote:

I did not know that

|

Hmmm

6/6/2018 12:59 AM

Just blast about on your bike. Make a ghetto jump and then send it!

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

6/6/2018 2:58 AM

Ride around and have fun. Learn wheelies and endos. And, no offence, start saving for a better bike, that won't last long

|

6/6/2018 5:12 AM

Edman123 wrote:

I did not know that

Do you even English, bro?

|

6/6/2018 5:13 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Kerbs

jbales wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Wait for real? I didn't know that!!! Hmmm, strange, I like 'kerbs' more lol

Yeah, well... they also have a metal nobody else in the world has.... aluminIUM. wink

|

6/6/2018 6:39 AM

ThatAnxiousDragon wrote:

Hey all ☺ I'm new to the site and to the world of BMX, I got my first for my birthday an X rated Dekka Photo

Never had an interest into BMX till I got mine. However not sure really where to start or what tricks I could begin with. Or wether it's just better to ride around for a while, as I was never really adventurous with any of my standard bikes.

Much thanks

Watch this, find a parking lot, and keep going until you feel good on your bike.
|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

6/6/2018 7:12 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Ride around and have fun. Learn wheelies and endos. And, no offence, start saving for a better bike, that won't last long

None taken! It was around £100 from what I was told, which is great as tbh I don't wanna wreck a £200+ on a few tricks which I'll end up bailing on quite a lot, what would you recommend? wife does have a mongoose tucked away somewhere would need a lot of work done though

|

6/6/2018 7:59 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

ThatAnxiousDragon wrote:

None taken! It was around £100 from what I was told, which is great as tbh I don't wanna wreck a £200+ on a few tricks which I'll end up bailing on quite a lot, what would you recommend? wife does have a mongoose tucked away somewhere would need a lot of work done though

Well, it all depends on your budget really. I'd say give it a couple of months of messing around riding, and do some research in the meantime. Then decide how seriously you want to take it. You can get a pretty good complete for around £500, or spend up to £2k on a custom, or anything in between smile

|

6/6/2018 8:00 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Yeah, well... they also have a metal nobody else in the world has.... aluminIUM. wink

That is true.... ALUMINIUM!!!!!

|

6/6/2018 8:02 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

ThatAnxiousDragon wrote:

On the cheap, for a decent starter bike that's full 4130 Chromoly frame, fork, cranks, bars, it's hard to beat the Mongoose Legion L100.

You can search "Mongoose L100" here on the forum for a post by member "Bulletpup". He's got two & has done youtube videos of both. Depending on when you buy & if it's
open box" etc...., they've been had from $180(US) to around $290(US) from Amazon.

|

6/6/2018 1:04 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

ThatAnxiousDragon wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

On the cheap, for a decent starter bike that's full 4130 Chromoly frame, fork, cranks, bars, it's hard to beat the Mongoose Legion L100.

You can search "Mongoose L100" here on the forum for a post by member "Bulletpup". He's got two & has done youtube videos of both. Depending on when you buy & if it's
open box" etc...., they've been had from $180(US) to around $290(US) from Amazon.

I love them and still am getting my moneys worth. There are better bikes to be had for more money but as Mishinn said if you are trying to keep it cheap its hard to beat. If your budget is 400-500 bucks there are some much better options but i have still yet to see a better 300 dollarish bike.

There are bikes that look better and appear more solid but the materials used are usually all hi-ten steel or a combination of hi-ten and chromoly.

But for now, just ride what you got and get the some tricks locked down! smile

|

6/7/2018 2:26 AM

jbales wrote:

Bike control and balance are the focus of the smart new rider. And once you get comfortable, bunnyhop and manuals would be great to start with. A bunnyhop is the key to most tricks and a manual is balance and to like 1 trick to the next. As well as bike control

|

6/7/2018 11:41 AM

Dont forget to bring it to the local pump track/ BMX race track.

It will help you faster on learning to control the bike, and you will be able to explore the handling.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

6/7/2018 12:32 PM

Don't forget a helmet!

|

6/7/2018 1:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/7/2018 1:09 PM

Don’t forget to bring a towel!

|

6/7/2018 3:45 PM

Sunscreen+grips=unstoppable pleasure

|

6/10/2018 8:09 AM

dead goon wrote:

Don't forget a helmet!

Found mine last night under the bed, might be a while before i use it though, i don't think much damage is going to come from just pedalling

|

6/10/2018 8:10 AM

Thanks for the tips guys, i have a progression thread in the general topics if you want to check up on my progress

|