New to bmx

Related:
Create New Tag

6/10/2016 5:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/10/2016 5:41 PM

My son and I are trying to build a bike,all we have is a Kink Launch frame. Was wondering if anyone could help out with parts sizes we need, I'm totally new to this bike stuff. Any help is appreciated

|

6/10/2016 8:22 PM

wadeo420 wrote:

My son and I are trying to build a bike,all we have is a Kink Launch frame. Was wondering if anyone could help out with parts ...more

do you know what year it is? some of the older ones used a Spanish BB, the newer ones use a Mid BB.

Do you know what parts you're looking at yet? Most parts are fully interchangeable unless it's bottom bracket stuff. It's a lot to explain. If you have some parts picked out that you're looking at and can post em here, we'll be able to tell you if they'll fit or not

|

6/11/2016 12:42 AM

It's going to get expensive. And the frame isn't amazing. It won't be anywhere near as much fun, but would be much more cost effective to buy a decent complete.

BUT, if you go ahead with it, you'll need an integrated headset (they're all much of a muchness)
a pair of forks (a lot of modern forks come with a built in crown race for integrated headsets)
the front wheel axle size will depend on the cut of the fork dropouts (10mm/3/8ths is standard these days)
A rear wheel with 14mm axle, it'll probably have to be a cassette due to sprocket clearance (9t cassette are easy to find, average gear ratio you'd want a 25t sprocket)
Bottom bracket, this will depend on bb shell and crank axle size. Measure the inside diameter of the shell. 37mm is Spanish, 41mm is mid.
Cranks, any decent 3 piece will do. If they have a 19mm axle you'll need a 19mm bb. So if the frame has mid bb, and you get cranks with a 19mm axle, you'll need a mid 19mm bb.
They're the only tricky parts. Any bmx stem will fit, any bars will fit, any 25.4mm seat post will fit (I'd suggest sticking to bmx brands, so pivotal would be an easy choice, and any pivotal seat will fit it). Any 20" tyres will fit, any 9/16ths pedals will fit a 3 piece crank, etc.
The brake can be tricky if the mounts aren't welded on. If they are welded on, any u brake will fit, and any bmx brake lever will work (v brake levers don't feel particularly nice with a u brake, but will work). If the mounts aren't welded on, and you don't have mounts, there's 3 types, it would be easier to see a pic so we can tell you what you need.

What parts you go for will depend on your budget. Even if you go with cheap parts, it's going to cost a fair bit. If you go for good parts, expect to spend a lot of money!
Cheap parts will be a false economy, as they won't last as long. They're often heavier as well, making the bike harder to ride. The frame you've got is hi ten steel, which isn't great either. But that depends how seriously your son is going to take it

|

6/11/2016 7:58 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

It's going to get expensive. And the frame isn't amazing. It won't be anywhere near as much fun, but would be much more cost ...more

Do you know of any good sites to by complete bikes?

|

6/11/2016 7:59 AM

wadeo420 wrote:

My son and I are trying to build a bike,all we have is a Kink Launch frame. Was wondering if anyone could help out with parts ...more

sundaybmxRR wrote:

do you know what year it is? some of the older ones used a Spanish BB, the newer ones use a Mid BB.

Do you know what parts ...more

Do you know of any sites to get decent priced complete bikes

|

6/11/2016 10:33 AM

There's quite a few, danscomp, albes, empire, are amongst the popular ones. Plus there's probably a shop fairly close to you that would be worth supporting. Give it a Google

|

6/11/2016 11:25 AM

wadeo420 wrote:

It's probably way cheaper to buy a brand new kink launch than to build a custom one.

|

6/11/2016 1:50 PM

wadeo420 wrote:

420bongblazer wrote:

It's probably way cheaper to buy a brand new kink launch than to build a custom one.

Is $275 for a used subrosa tiro good?

|

6/11/2016 1:52 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

There's quite a few, danscomp, albes, empire, are amongst the popular ones. Plus there's probably a shop fairly close to you ...more

|

6/11/2016 2:00 PM

wadeo420 wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Do you know what parts ...more

|

6/11/2016 2:13 PM

wadeo420 wrote:

https://www.danscomp.com/products/SD6128/Kink_16_Launch_Bike.html

this would be way better

|

6/11/2016 2:37 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

There's quite a few, danscomp, albes, empire, are amongst the popular ones. Plus there's probably a shop fairly close to you ...more

wadeo420 wrote:

Better than the subrosa

|

6/11/2016 8:40 PM

wadeo420 wrote:

I am nearly in the same situation as you...step son wants to start riding.

After much, much research, I have found it is a better use of your money to get a complete bike if it is your first time. Get something with a solid frame and fork (all Chromoly if possible) and with sealed bearings in the hubs and bottom bracket. From this starting point, you guys can ride, and then research parts on your own via the interwebs and interaction with people where you ride. If you get a solid structural skeleton (frame, fork, cranks and pedal axels) everything else is relatively easy to change out.

After about year of researching, these are the bikes I narrowed it down to:
1. Verde Luxe
2. WeThePeople Trust
3. Eastern element
4. Hoffman 'Bama

all of these have full chromo frames/forks, and decent parts as well. I went with the Verde Luxe because it had the best stuff for the buck, and they are a local builder...I am going to get to see my bike come together

There are bikes form other companies that also fit the bill...these just happened to make it to my top 4.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

6/12/2016 9:09 PM

wadeo420 wrote:

sXeBMXer wrote:

I am nearly in the same situation as you...step son wants to start riding.

After much, much research, I have found it is a ...more

Thanks much. Really appreciate your help!!!

|