New to freecoasters.. maybe?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/3/2013 1:42 PM

For a while i have been interested by freecoasters, maybe for a year or two. I have always liked freecoaster riders like karl poynter, uh hes the main guy i know, and charlie crumlish. So if i were to get a freecoaster, what woul dbe a first good one to get? I would be riding pegs, so that is a factor. I tried riding chainless for a little bit yesterday, i couldnt get out of the fakie without slamming my knee on the stem but i only was chainless for like 30 minutes maybe. So yeah basically what hub should i get, should i get a used one?, will halfcabbing be as hard with a fc as it is chainless? um and other freecoaster stuff i should know

|

virginia beach ~ instagram: @_harru_ ~ 4pegz

5/4/2013 12:12 AM

Freecoasters need taking care of, you cant just not maintain it like most people do with Cassette Hubs. For that reason it may not be a good idea to get a used one. The Ezra Coaster looks great, and is convertible to a Cassette, but you won't be able to get one used if you go down that route. Most others use KHE Internals. These include the KHE Hubs, the Alienation Rush, the Federal V3 (The Federal has a Female Axle), the Stranger Coastersaurus, and several others. Some have Nankai internals, but they tend to be for Flatland. Halfcabbing and other ways of getting out of Fakies isn't that hard, you can't use Pedal Pressure but if you can Half Cab with a Cassette you should be able to them on a Freecoaster once you're used to it. It will take about a day of lots of Fakies to get used to it.

|

5/4/2013 1:09 PM

I recently bought a coaster. I bought a used khe astern. I ride 4 pegs. My suggestion would be to buy any coaster with a male axle. Next, half cabbing with a coaster is the same as chainless. I would say to try finding a cheap used one that uses khe internals. Odds are, it will just need the internals greased but even if it needed a complete rebuild it would likely still be less than a brand new coaster. And you must maintain coasters quite often. (by greasing the internals). I would just grab one and give it a go.

|

Refs:
Bought from: Tito24, tinybikerider33 (x2), RideBikesYoo, hookjrclc, MrHavoc1988, ScramHype, BigOleMonster
Sold to: Jared42069 (x2), Sancheezz, blueep3piece, Marco_Gonzalez, Riverside Rider, HardBMX_Tim
Traded: tomdon
Hooked me up: zachhendrix, oscar7588

Personal Email: snmloverbmx@hotmail.com
n-dür product info/ order email: ndur_bmx@outlook.com
n-dür on facebook

5/4/2013 1:27 PM

I've had a Federal V3 since Christmas. Besides the shitty shemale axle, it's awesome and smooth. Even the 3/8" hollow bolts are holding up great to grind abuse.

I wouldn't get the Ezra coaster just yet, I've seen some broken pawls. Just wait until more people have experience with it.

After a day or two, you'll get completely used to the slack, and it'll take around 1-2 weeks to relearn fakies and stuff. I just learned full cabs and I'm getting really good at sliders. Speaking of slack, run max slack. It helps with fakies until you get better. Then you can go to less slack if you like.

The whole thing about greasing coasters every month or whatever isn't true. Everyone I know that has a freecoaster has never even opened it up (Some have been riding the same ones for 2-3 years) and they don't have any problems.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

5/4/2013 4:09 PM

theyve covered it all. coasters arent as much work as people say. just try to avoid pedal pressure as it can prematurely wear the hubshell out, at least on khe built hubs

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

5/4/2013 4:31 PM

tomdon wrote:

theyve covered it all. coasters arent as much work as people say. just try to avoid pedal pressure as it can prematurely wear the hubshell out, at least on khe built hubs

What do you mean by pedal pressure?

|

Refs:
Bought from: Tito24, tinybikerider33 (x2), RideBikesYoo, hookjrclc, MrHavoc1988, ScramHype, BigOleMonster
Sold to: Jared42069 (x2), Sancheezz, blueep3piece, Marco_Gonzalez, Riverside Rider, HardBMX_Tim

n-dür on facebook

5/4/2013 4:35 PM

SnM An1mal wrote:

What do you mean by pedal pressure?

Trying to use pedal pressure to do things like full cabs. Basically cranking forward while rolling fakie.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

5/4/2013 4:41 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Trying to use pedal pressure to do things like full cabs. Basically cranking forward while rolling fakie.

Thats cheating anyway...

|

Refs:

n-dür on facebook

5/4/2013 4:53 PM

SnM An1mal wrote:

Thats cheating anyway...

In the same manner that freecoasters are cheating.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

5/4/2013 4:59 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

SnM An1mal wrote:

Thats cheating anyway...

Xxohioanxx wrote:

this. you cant call pedal pressure cheating if your allowed to fakie without pedaling

|

5/4/2013 5:02 PM

tomdon wrote:

this. you cant call pedal pressure cheating if your allowed to fakie without pedaling

I fucking hate when people say something is "cheating." It's called freestyle for a reason. If there is something that will make something easier, I'm gonna do it.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

5/4/2013 5:07 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

tomdon wrote:

Xxohioanxx wrote:

I fucking hate when people say something is "cheating." It's called freestyle for a reason. If there is something that will make something easier, I'm gonna do it.

truth. whats so hard to comprehend about free & style?

|

5/4/2013 5:14 PM

But why would you want to pedal forward in fakie? Just hop and huck it. And I can fakie just as good with a cassette as I can with my coaster... I actually find that coasters require more skill... But thats just my opinion

|

Refs:

n-dür on facebook

5/4/2013 5:25 PM

SnM An1mal wrote:

But why would you want to pedal forward in fakie? Just hop and huck it. And I can fakie just as good with a cassette as I can with my coaster... I actually find that coasters require more skill... But thats just my opinion

I never fakies halfcabing out, it feels sloppy, I tires slide out of it and do do it you put a tiny bit of pedal pressure.

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

5/4/2013 5:30 PM

SnM An1mal wrote:

because it helps your pop in hops/half cabs, and it helps your momentum in full cabs/5 cabs

|

5/4/2013 5:36 PM

tomdon wrote:

because it helps your pop in hops/half cabs, and it helps your momentum in full cabs/5 cabs

I don't use pedal pressure for half cabs or even full cabs now that I can sometimes do them. I run max slack. Don't think I'll be able to do a 5 cab without pedal pressure though.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

5/4/2013 5:42 PM

SnM An1mal wrote:

tomdon wrote:

Xxohioanxx wrote:

I don't use pedal pressure for half cabs or even full cabs now that I can sometimes do them. I run max slack. Don't think I'll be able to do a 5 cab without pedal pressure though.

i use it all the time but i run a cassette. i didnt use pedal pressure when i had a coaster, and i ran max slack

|