Edited Date/Time: 9/24/2016 12:03 PM

deleted due to missing text

|

9/24/2016 11:27 AM

Hmm most of my post disappeared will edit it once kids are in bed

|

9/24/2016 11:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/24/2016 12:48 PM

ok so i will try again as my first post didnt go to plantongue as you can gather from my first post im new to BMX and so is my 5 year old son. ive just got us bikes he has a seal BMX 6teen and i have a stolen sinner.

im not new to bikes as ive been riding and building road and full suss mountain bikes over the last few years and have lost 40kgs as a result and im fitter than ive ever beensmile i guess you could say im passionate about bikes or as my wife would say obsessed tongue.

i also used to skateboard alot as a teenager but that was a long time ago now and i did own a gt dyno comp in the 90s but never did anything with it really, this time i want too.

so far i can bunnyhop as that passed over from mountain bikes although not as high as i would like , im also trying to learn to manual ( i get the front end up easily , i just need to find that balance sweet-spot and practice a lot). i took my boy to the local skate park today and he was amazed and cant wait to ride there ( i need to improve his riding a bit first though especially his braking and spacial awareness). i was pretty amazed to tbh , there were never any facilities for us to skate in the late 80s early 90s , this place looked like the skate parks i longed to ride as a kid watching bones and h street videostongue ive been out around my village and got quite a few strange looks due to the bike , i couldnt care less though i gave up caring what others thought of me years ago lol

anyway im pretty one track minded so i will be surfing the forums and any info i can find online and hopefully fitting in some riding where i can between looking after my two boys and all the road riding i do.

any tips would be gratefully recieved i think i will need all the help i can get at my agetongue

|

9/24/2016 12:00 PM

Photo

my boys bike

Photo

my new bike

|

9/24/2016 12:15 PM

Welcome to bmx! To you and your son! You'd be surprised how many older riders there are out there. I'm I bit younger at 35, and I got back into riding a couple of years ago after a 6 or so year break. Just have fun, that's the best advice I can really give, but I'm sure you will anyway!

|

9/25/2016 1:04 AM

Welcome to BMX I have found myself getting into BMX at 48 very similar to you my son is 5 ...

My advice is enjoy it and get some pads makes the falling off easier when you do have a tumble you can land on your pads.

If you know or can get to know someone who rides ramps it's good to get advice ...

|

9/25/2016 1:16 AM

Cheers for the advice , its good to know there are other people doing the same as me. Ive already got a full set of pads as i used to ride quite a bit of downhill ( also got wrist guards due to having metalwork in my arm from stacking a 15 ft drop lol, i notice it in my wrist while bunnyhopping) i just want some more discrete under jeans pads now and shin guards

|

9/25/2016 7:08 PM

47 year old rider here! Got back into it after about 20 years off. Also have been riding MTB for the past 20 years, so I didn't quit riding, just switched types. Got back into BMX with my step son.

Also the same as you...back in the late 70's/ early80's, we didn't have parks to ride either. It was just dirt racing with probably 3-4foot "pump" jumps as the biggest thing. Bunny hops were there, and manuals were called "wheeleis". It is sooooo awesome to now have all of this trickery and riding style to get into. Relearning BMX has definitely been my mid-life crisis. I LIVED on my bike from age 4-19 pretty much. Riding BMX and heavy metal/punk music pretty much shaped my life. The music never left, but the desire to ride BMX shifted to MTB in my early 20's.

I am now living on the BMX again! Learning with my step son has been a blast. We also MTB together too. Weekends are now spent at the skatepark in the morning, and on the MTB trails in the evening.

Welcome to it!

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence