New to the forums

Related:
Create New Tag

7/8/2017 7:12 AM

Hey, I'm new to this forum and have "general" knowledge in the bmx community... I'm gonna apologize now for any stupid questions now lol.

I just picked up my first bmx bike last week. I came to figure out that it was originally picked up from walmart, but clearly had a little work done to it. It is a Hyper Bike company frame and I saw found that the frame is fairly light so I want to rebuild it for myself.

Now for the questions... Can someone tell me if bmx parts are fairly interchangeable? I.E. the bearings, sprockets stuff like that. Also what is with the difference in bar sizes, cranks sizes and stuff like that? I've seen like 9 inch bars all the way up to 11 or 12 inches. I also saw different crank sizes as well. What's the diffences on that stuff?

Thanks for any help or advice.

|

7/8/2017 7:58 AM

Oh man that's way too many vague questions, that can all be answered with a simple Google search. Parts are basically interchangeable. There's a few different kinds of bottom brackets and headsets depending on how old it is. We don't know what you have. 9 inch bars are a good place to start. 9 felt huge to me when I first got them. I'm sure what you have now is closer to 7.

|

7/8/2017 8:52 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

Oh man that's way too many vague questions, that can all be answered with a simple Google search. Parts are basically ...more

Alright, thanks for the feed back, ok try to narrow the questions down next time

|

7/8/2017 9:52 AM

Pic of the bike would help us determine what is easy to change or what would need some thinking about

|

7/8/2017 9:58 AM

If the frame is from Walmart I wouldn't dump too much money into it there frames are poorly made and will break faster

|

Ride till you die

7/8/2017 10:20 AM

I wouldn't throw too much money into upgrading it very much.. If I were you I'd save for something a little higher end and ride the Walmart bike til it breaks. Trust me, you'll probably actually save money that way.

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

7/8/2017 11:24 AM

Cam-bmx wrote:

If the frame is from Walmart I wouldn't dump too much money into it there frames are poorly made and will break faster

The frame has a Walmart sticker on it so I assumed it was, the frame itself has the name of "Hyper Bike Co Spinner" on it. I don't plan to dump to much into. Fir now it's just a simple project bike.

|

7/8/2017 11:25 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Pic of the bike would help us determine what is easy to change or what would need some thinking about

I will definitely upload a pic or so of the frame/bike itself.

|

7/8/2017 4:33 PM

Oh, the Mike Spinner one.

That bike isn't very good, haha. Don't put a ton into it, as said above.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

7/8/2017 5:10 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Oh, the Mike Spinner one.

That bike isn't very good, haha. Don't put a ton into it, as said above.

Over here its £75 brand new from Argos, so its a really really cheap bike, ride it till it breaks, which probably wont be long, I don't know if bikes that cheap will take your standardised bmx parts that more of the mid range stuff would come with, best bet is to just save your money and get a mid-higher range bike once you break it, stem will probably be the first thing to go.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2055132?store=4103&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59156|cid:598623310|agid:28645206445|tid:pla-327004123371|crid:96091159045|nw:g|rnd:15985901694082127580|dvc:c|adp:1o1&gclid=CjwKEAjwhYLLBRDIjoCu0te4niASJAC0V4QPrWRo2_7e79DdJb1r4D6sNdMfPyXTHmzvTrnGWnhyQBoClinw_wcB

|

7/9/2017 5:04 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

tokentheblackkid wrote:

I will definitely upload a pic or so of the frame/bike itself.

I know what you have, pictures below and it's an $89.00 bike. Unless they added after market parts, I hop you didn't spend more than $50. For a project I would not spend any money or time on it.

I have been riding over 30 years now and I have seen many people try to make something of a Walmart bike. Only to run into so many problems that they throw it away.

Here is how you really want to go about this. And trust me you will learn about the different parts and lengths doing it. With a bike like you have, you will learn about frustration and not much else.

1- The bike isn't a 100% waste. You can use some parts on the better idea project I'm explaining. Take the tires, tubes, grips, all the gyro cables and the brake pads off. The rest maybe you can sell or donate. You don't want to even think about riding it.

2- Check a mail order site like www.danscomp.com and read the specs of the complete bikes. Notice the difference of parts as the price goes up. This is study material for your project. Look at the different parts also and it's the same thing. Like cars, some you pay for a name.

3- Jump on Craigslist and look around or on this site or www.pinkbike.com After looking at Dans, you will have a better idea what something is worth and what is "junk". Find a bike or you can buy from different people and piece together something.

4- Clean up the bike and ride it. Note things that you like and don't like. Then, upgrade parts via used like I mentioned above or brand new.

5- Paint it maybe, remove some superficial rust and things like that.

When it comes to measurements of parts or frames, millimeters are standard for crank length and stem reach. Inches are for frames, tires, bars. As for bearings NO they are not interchangeable. A US bottom bracket (holds the cranks spindle) are your typical bearings you have on a childs bike or beach cruiser. Mid bottom bracket bearings are pretty much the bearings only of a US bottom bracket that you press into the frame.

I will finish this when I get home...

Photo

Photo

|

7/9/2017 5:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/9/2017 5:20 PM

I lived in the states for a year when i was 10-11. i also had a walmart bmx bike, i wrecked that thing in under 3 months. snapped the stem right off the bike on the way back from school lol, my mum goes and complains at walmart and made that much of a stink she gets me a new one for free, i hadn't told her i had been riding the dirt jumps at the bmx track 4 blocks from our condo complex, cos i knew she would say no cos we had no insurance lol

|