New to this - Please share advice

Related:
Create New Tag

2/7/2014 4:38 AM

Sup

I am approx 1.84m - just under 6ft.

I've been advised to look at a 21" BMX.

I want the bike for transportation between home / work - couple km's.

I need a bike with reasonable handling for in between traffic.

Want a light bike so in between I can mess around jumping on / off things y'know.

So a beginner bike 21". Which seems to be non existant. Or I'm just blindsided by the amount of shiiiz on the interwebs.

Give Thanks

|

2/7/2014 5:55 AM

If you are not going to do tricks i wouldnt buy a bmx. Id buy a mtb or a road bike.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

2/7/2014 5:57 AM

you don't necessarily need a 21. get what you think would be best

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

2/7/2014 6:49 AM

I want to do tricks in the sense on freestyle city riding.

I have a bike at the moment but its a bit big and heavy for being adventurous with stairs and benches etc etc.

The reason I ask the about 21" because I'll spend a lot of time on it and don't want to screw my knees up

|

2/7/2014 6:51 AM

Are you South Africa? You're not in the States.. as you used km.. and American's never use metric casually.

If your heart is on a BMX, and you're commuting on it... at least get a 24"... you'll get tired of commuting distances on the BMX after the novelty of it wears off and you'll wish you got a road bike or mtb.

A 24" cruiser could be a happy medium though... bigger tires, little easier ride.. but you can still fuck around on it.

|

2/7/2014 6:57 AM

NervousXtian wrote:

Are you South Africa? You're not in the States.. as you used km.. and American's never use metric casually.

If your heart is ...more

He's riding like 1 1/2-2 miles. A 20 would be just fine if that's what he wants.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/7/2014 2:35 PM

Lalalayla wrote:

I want to do tricks in the sense on freestyle city riding.

I have a bike at the moment but its a bit big and heavy for being ...more

Okya, i thought you just wanted it to transportation, the first thing is whats your budget.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

2/7/2014 2:40 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

He's riding like 1 1/2-2 miles. A 20 would be just fine if that's what he wants.

Sure, 2 miles isn't far, even on a 20... but a BMX would be far from my first choice as a commuter. You also sit lower, and if used to commute you should have reflectors.. and on a BMX they sit low as well.. so it's harder to be seen... especially since he mentioned traffic.

It can be done, but again.. no my first choice as a commuter.

|

2/7/2014 2:42 PM

If he wants to do tricks he can run a rear brake and taller seatpost. For that distance it would be okay.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

2/7/2014 2:57 PM

NervousXtian wrote:

If your heart is ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

NervousXtian wrote:

Sure, 2 miles isn't far, even on a 20... but a BMX would be far from my first choice as a commuter. You also sit lower, and if ...more

I get ya, a commuter would be ideal for the situation, adding tricks in would not for the commuter.

Honestly I would suggest staying off busy roads as much as possible regardless of what you ride, but a BMX would be fine for those distances AND allow you to do tricks.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/7/2014 4:57 PM

I agree, never trust people in cars. Seems like there's a story every week of a person on a bike getting hit here in Portland.

Why I ride side streets as a rule.

|

2/12/2014 5:56 AM

Uh no I'll end up riding it a good couple km - like - 8 -15 mies. - god knows how far actually, It will be my 2nd set of feet - but I can't afford like a bike for every occasion.

Our city is pretty bike-friendly, but I always wear a helmet anyway. Safety first.

Thanks for the responses ..

I rate the 23inch might be best here, judging from your comments.

Sweet, Thanks

|