Nick Bruce Q&A

Related:
Create New Tag

7/16/2015 5:12 PM

I'm stoked to announce that we've got Nick Bruce joining us here in the Vital BMX forum.

From killing contests all over the globe to inventing insane new tricks (flair windshield wiper, anyone?), the past year has been huge for Nick. Add that to the fact that he's the newest addition to the Total BMX pro team and things couldn't be better for the kid from Ohio.

Got a question for Nick? Need advice on a trick? Want to know how he got where he is today? Ask here!

Nick will be hanging out until the 21st, so get your questions in NOW!

|

7/16/2015 5:34 PM

How long did it take you to learn the flair windshield wiper?

How many have you landed on a real ramp?

|

7/16/2015 6:44 PM

What do you think about @techordie ?

|

7/16/2015 6:53 PM

Do you and rob have your train tickets?

|

7/16/2015 6:54 PM

What's ur favorite serial and can u back flip 360

|

7/16/2015 7:13 PM

Rays or Chenga? And will we be catching yout at Rays this winter?

|

7/16/2015 7:16 PM

What is your top three favorite songs to ride to?

|

7/16/2015 7:26 PM

Will we see any big video projects from you and Total this year?

|

7/16/2015 8:25 PM

1. What riders were most influential when you first started?

2. What riders are the most influential to you today?

|

7/16/2015 8:30 PM

Can you attribute your style to your size at all? You're a beefier dude than most ramp riders these days. Any benefits to your physique at all?

|

7/16/2015 8:36 PM

Game of bike between the whole total team who takes the win?

|

7/16/2015 8:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2015 12:37 AM

Nick!

I love the body beef! Off the bike what type of things are you in to? Any movies you enjoy? Where do you like to hang out? What did growing up in Youngstown with Anthony Napolitan, Craig Mast, Chris Doyle etc. riding the local skateparks do for your inspiration?

Keep it sexy! NFC!!

|

7/16/2015 8:53 PM

I keep hearing you got signed to total, but what about your totally underrated sponsorship with NFC?! can you talk about NFC and what it means for you to be on that team?

|

7/16/2015 10:24 PM

Lastly, I notice you have been riding with BMX legend Steve Cuesta! How is it having a rider who has been through the pro scene on your side as you are coming up yourself?

|

7/16/2015 10:32 PM

Remember that time you made me drive two hours away from my house to film at some dirt jumps and you didn't get a single clip?

|

7/16/2015 11:57 PM

what is your recommendation for all the bmx riders in the world? specificaly to the riders who want be a pro like you; Thank's buddy!

|

7/17/2015 6:09 AM

Have you ever thought about legally changing your first name to Bruce?

|

7/17/2015 9:17 AM

Love your riding style and pushing of progression in Bmx

Do you still pull out the sandwich maker from time to time ?

Do you plan on ever getting more into the dirt contests in the future ?

Will we ever see you start destroying mega ramp ?

|

7/17/2015 9:47 AM

kylecarlson wrote:

How long did it take you to learn the flair windshield wiper?

How many have you landed on a real ramp?

The flair windshield wiper was something me and Sandoval talked about a year ago during a session at the Kitchen skatepark. We messed around with them in the foam there, but they didn't quite work at first. So I would randomly try some in the foam pit at Chenga, but I couldn't get the rotation around because I thought the quarter was too small.
I thought well if I had a big enough quarter, I'll send one and it should work. I had big plans to film one and get one done during this past winter, but no quarter felt right.
Then at Toronto Jam I tried one on the 8ft quarter during "Best/Last Trick, almost got it first try. Second try I smashed my face and had to take a trip to the hospital. Then Baldock posted one on resi a couple weeks later, so I wanted to be the first to do it on wood at a contest. Now they feel good at Chenga. So it was kind of a long mental process.

I have landed 3 on wood and I haven't tried any on Resi. Planning to dial them in though

|

7/17/2015 9:55 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Love your riding style and pushing of progression in Bmx

Do you still pull out the sandwich maker from time to time ?

Do you plan on ever getting more into the dirt contests in the future ?

Will we ever see you start destroying mega ramp ?

Thank you man, I appreciate it!
The sandwich maker is a tough one, I haven't tried one in awhile. But I definitely plan on landing one soon

I love dirt contests. They're actually my favorite contests. Unfortunately there's not many happening this year, so I don't think I'll compete in one this year, but dirt is something I love riding along with big contest dirt jumps.

Mega ramp........... I don't know hahah. I've messed around on Mini mega and that was enough lol. The quarter pipe is no joke, and after riding it, I gained a massive amount of respect for those dudes that ride the real mega ramp.
I don't think I'll ever try out the big one. But who knows

|

7/17/2015 9:56 AM

rolland bluntz wrote:

Have you ever thought about legally changing your first name to Bruce?

Hahahah, so my name is Bruce Bruce? I think about it all the time.

|

7/17/2015 10:33 AM

luisdbmx98 wrote:

what is your recommendation for all the bmx riders in the world? specificaly to the riders who want be a pro like you; Thank's buddy!

Thank you for your question! I recommend to just ride your bike the way YOU want to ride it and you'll enjoy it 100% and when you're enjoying it, things become easier.
Then when you're feeling confident on your bike, do what you can to make it to some contests and/or make some quality edits. It's not an easy task, but if you want it, you have to put the work in.
I worked all my life doing landscaping and other odd jobs and I was always too busy to ride. Then I made time for riding because I really missed it. Then I started progressing more because I was riding a lot, so I started traveling to contests, met more people, and eventually I stopped having to go back to work because riding was paying my bills.
I honestly never expected it to turn out that way, but I seriously love it and will continue to do what I can to keep the BMX dream alive. Anything is possible and if others are making it happen... Why can't you?

|

7/17/2015 10:47 AM

kylecarlson wrote:

Remember that time you made me drive two hours away from my house to film at some dirt jumps and you didn't get a single clip?

Hahahaha..... At least we got to hangout in the 110 degree desert weather and watch the locals destroy it

|

7/17/2015 10:53 AM

devinszmata wrote:

Game of bike between the whole total team who takes the win?

That'd be one sick Game of BIKE..... But I think Mark Webb would take it all the way. He has a million different tech moves on lock, so I don't think we can handle it unless we teamed up to get him out first hahaha

|

7/17/2015 11:04 AM

Jaz_Kalkat wrote:

I keep hearing you got signed to total, but what about your totally underrated sponsorship with NFC?! can you talk about NFC and what it means for you to be on that team?

I don't think the BMX world is ready for NFC yet!

|

7/17/2015 12:26 PM

TomMorrisBMX wrote:

Lastly, I notice you have been riding with BMX legend Steve Cuesta! How is it having a rider who has been through the pro scene on your side as you are coming up yourself?

Having Steve Cuesta around and becoming close friends has been amazing. He's been very supportive and has been helping me a lot. It's crazy because I grew up watching him at Section 8 doing things that know else does (even to this day) and he still can do it all like it's nothing!

In regards to your other questions... Off the bike I am really into fitness. Doing different workouts and trying to stay active. I try to do a little bit of everything as well such as golf, tennis, basketball, or whatever the new day brings.

I'm into movies that my great friend Tom Morris has made. I'm excited for Oliver Stoned to come out, so I can see it again
I like to hangout at home, Mill creek park in Youngstown with the lady, or Steve Cuesta's home.
Growing up with guys like Anthony Napolitan, Chris Doyle, Steve Cuesta, and Craig Mast riding at my local park regularly was incredibly motivating. Pro riders riding the same place I was riding really motivates you. I hope I can make the same affect to the young kids at my local parks today.
Also watching them destroy Section8 every Friday band night with Tom Morris shredding the drums was just something you didn't want to miss.

|

7/17/2015 12:38 PM

Patrick SJ wrote:

Can you attribute your style to your size at all? You're a beefier dude than most ramp riders these days. Any benefits to your physique at all?

That's a good question... I think there are benefits though, I am able to muscle the bike around when things get difficult or out of hand. And there are benefits with falling... I don't know if you watched simple session this year, but after body slamming onto my bike from way up 2 times in a row and still being able to ride afterwards lol.. If i didn't have muscle on me, I probably wouldn't have gotten up.
But I think some of the smaller dudes have more benefits because they're lighter on the bike, so they can be quicker and more agile nor do they have to worry about running too light of parts.

But I like doing a lot of tailwhip stuff, so maybe that's where my size comes into play with my style.

|

7/17/2015 12:59 PM

Steve Cuesta wrote:

1. What riders were most influential when you first started?

2. What riders are the most influential to you today?

1. Riders that were most influential when I first started were Dave Mirra and Dennis Mccoy. Dave Mirra was dominating everything along with looking like a true/clean professional athlete. Mccoy won me over during the gravity games when n he did a 900, cut his eye open and still continued like a champ.
There were also local guys when I first started riding that were doing the big stuff I saw on TV right at my local skatepark down the road. They were Steve Cuesta and Anthony Napolitan. Great riders!

2. Riders that are most influential to me today would be the man Jamie Bestwick. He is nearly twice my age and can probably run laps around anyone and is still dominating. Along with Jamie, Kyle Baldock & Logan Martin. They're both constantly pushing the game to new levels and they have the hardest tricks on lock. Love watching those dudes and I'm grateful to be friends with all of them.

|

7/17/2015 1:02 PM

Brandon_Sever wrote:

Will we see any big video projects from you and Total this year?

Yes! I plan on going hard as I can for a TotalBMX edit. Hopefully get it done sometime in the Fall. I have a lot planned and want to be ready Also I will be starting an edit soon for my clothing sponsor, Torque.
Plan to go hard for that one as well!

|

7/17/2015 1:02 PM

When are you going to get a racecar?

|

-Rob