Related:
Create New Tag

1/22/2018 7:26 PM

Witch Shoe Do You Wear When You Ride?

|

just living with autism and riding bikes

1/22/2018 7:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/22/2018 7:49 PM

Nikes have a lot more protection, and grip than vans do. Vans will have a better "pedal feel", used to call that board feel lol. So depends on what you prefer. A nice pair of Nikes will cost twice as much as a nice pair of vans, but honestly I grew up when nikes were a big no no at the skatepark, and vans were definitely a lot cooler. Now they seem to have gotten just as trendy and popular as Nikes, for people who don't even ride or skate. Now that I'm older I prefer the protection and cushion of Nikes, but still have several pairs of vans at all times, so I wear both. Whatever is on my feet at the time.

|

1/22/2018 8:03 PM

I love my Vans Old Skool 112 pros... super comfy has an added lip on the front which kinda helps with foot jams... but overall a good grippy comfortable shoe...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/22/2018 8:09 PM

DC

|

1/22/2018 8:24 PM

Vans makes the best shoes and they support BMX more than any other shoe company out . That’s all that you need to know.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/22/2018 8:36 PM

They all suck but vans are the best. I have the new fullcabs and they are decent. It just sucks knowing shoes could be made better and they just aren't.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

1/22/2018 8:46 PM

Nike SB High Dunk Pro

|

1/22/2018 11:42 PM

I usually wear Nike trainers and vans t-shirts/hoodies

|

1/23/2018 1:09 AM

I like my Converse but I'll wear whatever. I've had em all and like what I like now. Cheap ass Nike all court tennis trainers I got at Ross last year were tight. Adidas superstar shelltoes I have are nice and you can jam your foot wherever without hurting your toes. Low tops don't have much support but they look good so that's what I wear. Janoskis are good too

|

@coupd_tat

1/23/2018 1:14 AM

DC Spartan Hi.

*Runs away*

|

1/23/2018 3:39 AM

The way I see it is like this.
If a company is making a product that won't last, no matter how much they "support" bmx, I won't buy it.

And let's be honest, Vans is not doing business for the sake of bmx, vans is doing stuff for bmx for the sake of business.

That being said, what do we want in a bmx shoe?
Durability - this comes down to quality of materials and craftsmanship
Grip - we need something that can lock us into the pedal pins - some say that the waffle pattern from vans is the best. Is this true? For example, the pattern from Adidas ZX 700 is pretty damn good too.
Flexibility - the sole must be flexible enough so that your feet can hug the pedal, and it won't be like you have a lump of wood on your feet
Protection - we also need something that can absorb the shock of bailing, the hits on your ankle, and that offers ankle support

Now, what shoe has all of these qualities?laughing

|

1/23/2018 4:43 AM

am-shaegar wrote:

If a company is making a product that won't last, no matter how much they "support" bmx, I ...more

All good points, and unfortunately Nikes are superior in every way. I wish it wasn't true, because I still like vans better, but Nike makes a much better quality shoe. Anyone who has owned both, will know this to be a fact. Sorry guys.

|

1/23/2018 4:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/23/2018 4:54 AM

Vans Old School... But stupidly I didn't get pros and the cushioning is terrible, so I bought some good insoles.

My next riding shoe will be the 112 pros, look like they offer plenty of protection.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

1/23/2018 5:26 AM

I would have to choose Nike SB due to how long they last.

Runner up would be Etnies because again they last

Vans have to be the most over rated shoes when it comes to riding shoes, the only thing they have going for them is the waffle grip, every pair of vans I have ever had starts to fall apart within the first month of having them it's pathetic most recent I had the fullcab pro's the grip was great as always and surprisingly the protection was actually nice but as usual they came apart in less than 3 months.

|

1/23/2018 6:32 AM

I just ordered a pair of Old Skool Pro Highs. I retired two fancy pairs of Ralph Lauren leather hi-tops to bmx duty and they are...not holding up.

The waffle pattern with my JCPC pedals > Worn to shit RL shoes with worn down fyxation pedals.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

1/23/2018 7:04 AM

am-shaegar wrote:

If a company is making a product that won't last, no matter how much they "support" bmx, I ...more

ggallin422 wrote:

All good points, and unfortunately Nikes are superior in every way. I wish it wasn't true, because I still like vans better, ...more

I still have my vans halfcabs from 2006

Every pair of Nikes I've ever worn lasted a month at most From little use
I had a pair of Nikes that I went running in for about an hour and they were completely wrecked. I've used them as dirty work shoes ever since.

Converse used to be the way to go because they used to cost $20 and was basically a budget skate shoe

I ride Etnies usually, I used to ride Lotek but I don't know if they are still making shoes (I looked on their site and they sell every piece of clothing except shoes)

Buy stuff that's actually down for what you do, those brands actually design a shoe that's better for riding than a regular skate shoe would be, here's the familiar bmx brand shoes
-Almond
-eMerica
-Lotek
-Etnies
-ES (These guys went out of business in 2002, but I'm sure you can find shoes for sale. They made some pretty sick bmx shoes, I used to have ES Accels)
-Osiris
-iPath

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

1/23/2018 8:39 AM

Orchid was the best

|

1/23/2018 8:43 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Orchid was the best

This as fuck , never tried them but my friend had a pair for over a year and had like zero wear

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/23/2018 10:17 AM

I've tried everything, I own vans, nikes, etnies, I had a pair of loteks at one point too. I use odyssey pro PC pedals
Nike has a durable, solid shoe build but as far as the sole goes, the grip slips around on my pedals when I hop and the shoes barely wrap around the pedal, actually got one of the worst shin/knee cuts from slipping a pedal in them so i do not really trust the grip at all. Maybe i never spent enough time to break them in but after one session in a pair I just can't keep them on
Etnies is a solid mix between nike and vans, good shoe build, flexible soles but still sub-par grip, there is just a lack of a "locked in" feeling in my opinion but I'd take etnies over nike.
Lotek has some of the greatest grip, flexible sole, but a rough shoe build. Wore mine around school for a bit and eventually they lost all real form and sort of fell apart.
Vans is my personal choice, The grip is amazing, flexible sole, and a somewhat sturdy shoe build, after awhile they become like socks which is great. Personally if I found another pair of shoes that "locked in" to my pedals like vans do I would change over, just not any other shoes out there like that.

|

1/23/2018 10:26 AM

Etnies jameson 2 eco. Best trainers I've had since orchid (I had 2 pairs of vegan duval, and a pair of van homan's, they ruled!)

|

1/23/2018 11:10 AM

bdh425 wrote:

I've tried everything, I own vans, nikes, etnies, I had a pair of loteks at one point too. I use odyssey pro PC pedals
Nike ...more

Yeah, I mean I haven't found a BMX specific shoe.
They are all skateboarding shoes first and foremost.

About the grip, for me, adidas zx 700 has an amazing grip, but the sole has almost no flexibility
Photo

And some leather boots from CAT have insane amount of grip and are more flexible...but they are boots laughing
Photo

Someone should really venture into making a BMX specific shoe!
That would be a success!

P.S.
emerica and etnies look pretty nice and grippy

|

1/23/2018 11:15 AM

bdh425 wrote:

Nike ...more

am-shaegar wrote:

Yeah, I mean I haven't found a BMX specific shoe.
They are all skateboarding shoes first and foremost.

About the grip, for ...more

grip looks great on those adidas, Supposedly verve footwear is bmx specific but i've never tried them
https://www.vervefootwearbrand.com/

|

1/23/2018 11:21 AM

bdh425 wrote:

grip looks great on those adidas, Supposedly verve footwear is bmx specific but i've never tried them
...more

Those Verve look grippy AF! shocked

|

1/23/2018 2:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/23/2018 2:40 PM

I'm with am-shaegar on this in terms of brand. But, I personally hate using new/nice shoes for riding because they get sweaty, dirty, rank, and eventually destroyed. So my nice Vans get rotated to riding duty once they're ugly enough. Somehow I can make them last for a good while before they end up completely unrideable. And those shoes plus my metal pedals with gnarly pins keep me the hell on my bike with ankle-shattering grip. I don't ride pros or anything fancy but I'll stick with them as my exclusive riding shoe.

I tried one pair of Nikes that were on par with the Vans I get and didn't like them.

Never tried Etnies.

|

1/23/2018 3:00 PM

Etnies last for me. Only ever had one pair of vans and they were done in a week

|

Hmmm

1/23/2018 3:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/23/2018 3:32 PM

am-shaegar wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

All good points, and unfortunately Nikes are superior in every way. I wish it wasn't true, because I still like vans better, ...more

HavokDJ wrote:

I had a ...more

Almost all of those are skateboard companies. Trust me I skated for 20 years. I burn through half cabs in 6 months. Not sure what kind of Nikes you had, but they must not have been Nike sb., Because they last at least twice as long as vans. I bet I've had a hundred pairs of vans in my life. Been wearing them for over 20 years. They definitely aren't what they used to be.

|

1/23/2018 5:16 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Almost all of those are skateboard companies. Trust me I skated for 20 years. I burn through half cabs in 6 months. Not sure ...more

Yeah, unfortunately this is becoming a trend, companies are making the same products using lower quality materials.

Bought a pair of construction gloves from my local home depot, 4 years ago, still have them now, and this summer I had to buy another pair for my brother, same shop, same model of gloves ... thinner fabric, broke in a few days sad

Carhartt is another example, I have a pair 8 years old, intensive worn for these 8 years ... and it's still in a better shape than the same model I bought 2 years ago...

And I'm not the only one

|

1/24/2018 10:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/24/2018 10:42 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

HavokDJ wrote:

I had a ...more

ggallin422 wrote:

Almost all of those are skateboard companies. Trust me I skated for 20 years. I burn through half cabs in 6 months. Not sure ...more

Yeah, but they've been making bmx friendly shoes and have supported them for a good while, hell of a lot longer than vans. Vans only just got into BMX. And I guess I had quality problems with the Nike SB, because that pair of shoes lasted a week.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

1/24/2018 3:42 PM

I really want to get some fade footwear shoes from columbia. They seem so nice and sean burns and colt fake both ride and love them. They don't have distro in the US yet tho sad

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

1/24/2018 4:21 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

Yeah, but they've been making bmx friendly shoes and have supported them for a good while, hell of a lot longer than vans. ...more

Vans has been pretty much in the sport of BMX from the get go. I would not be surprised if vans ran an ad in the first BMX magazine. Slip ons back in the day were really big in racing.

Vans I use for riding, I will most likely retire them before I wear them out.
The key to getting more life out of riding shoes, is to treat them as "riding shoes".

|