“No Spray Painting!” reads Trey Jones’s new rule.

Related:
Create New Tag

2/16/2018 10:11 PM

So if ya didn’t already see it, not just anyone can spray paint the ramps at swamp fest. i’m guessing it’s because higher-up sponsors for this event didn’t want anyone else getting “free ad-space” on something that they payed for?? anyways, team weed made a bit of a mess of it. check out their gram @TeamWeed420Photo

Photo

|

2/16/2018 11:12 PM

Lmaogrin

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

2/17/2018 1:25 AM

But still sponsors shouldn't be a problem unless their ads/logos are painted over.
I think maybe Trey spent a bit on swamp fest this year and wants to get it back/money for another swamp fest next year which might be why he is doing this.

|

Hmmm

2/17/2018 1:30 AM

Supposed to be a natural “BMX” event and now sponsors and people are being bitches about it .

I respect that he and others put hard work into it , but restricting people from having fun with some paint seems lame . Ramps and paint are universal ! No one is breaking anything . It’s not vulgar stuff . Don’t see the big deal .

Let people spray paint , it’s like smoking and drinking at a party , just relax and go with it . Ultimately it’s his event but it should simmer down a tad , like come on . Rodeopeanut is fucking with the guy hard as fuck too lol

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

2/17/2018 1:40 AM

If I held a jam team weed would be the last thing I'd want being sprayed anywhere. Must be some really cool guys if they feel the need to advertise that they smoke weed so heavily.
If it's a sponsored event, damn right people shouldn't be advertising their shit crew all over the place. That's like me spraying theGrey all over the source park. It's his property, his event, not theirs

|

2/17/2018 1:42 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

If I held a jam team weed would be the last thing I'd want being sprayed anywhere. Must be some really cool guys if they feel ...more

You should totally do that it's would be like an immediate +150 followers lol

|

Hmmm

2/17/2018 3:24 AM

It's gonna happen anyways, I'm sure.

A fellow forum member spray painted basically my entire bike gold at a Jam a couple years back. Not gonna drop names since I'm over it now & have since built a gold bike, but things get out of hand pretty quick and people start doing stupid stuff for no reason at these big jams.

Also I'd like to say that there is a legal graffiti wall on the route for Capital-Lou-Jam whistling Bring it, ya darn BMX vandals.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/17/2018 4:06 PM

Swamp fest was cool last year now it's just corporate bollocks

|

Follow on instagram will follow back.
brandonmorris_

2/17/2018 4:08 PM

You guys think those guys smoke marijuana at all?

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

2/17/2018 4:09 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

It's gonna happen anyways, I'm sure.

A fellow forum member spray painted basically my entire bike gold at a Jam a couple ...more

Love you bud! #Goldgang

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

2/17/2018 4:09 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

If I held a jam team weed would be the last thing I'd want being sprayed anywhere. Must be some really cool guys if they feel ...more

Yeah tbh I don't even know what the fuck team weed is... I don't do drugs and I like to stay a ls far away from it as possible... but what the fuck is team weed anyway?

|

2/17/2018 4:12 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah tbh I don't even know what the fuck team weed is... I don't do drugs and I like to stay a ls far away from it as ...more

Its a bmx meme account.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

2/17/2018 4:17 PM

Brokenbmx wrote:

Its a bmx meme account.

Cool, thanks for letting me know lol

|

2/17/2018 5:38 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

You guys think those guys smoke marijuana at all?

What? They're a BMX group that likes to garden and take care of lawns.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

2/17/2018 7:58 PM

I understand where Trey is coming from. I think the way he said "crew" or "new company" (in quotations) came off as condescending and that's where a lot of these problems came from. Either way, it really isn't a big deal. The paint or the act of being able to paint on ramps at a BMX event isn't going to make-or-break the event.

And, when it comes to the "money" aspect of things - I assume Trey paid the crew that built. I assume they had to pay for the location. Based on camping and whatnot, there likely had to be permits from the city - which generally cost money. From running events in the past, I know insurance - even if just for one day / weekend - can get pretty pricey.

And, if he was trying to / did make a profit off of it, that's fine. He never said he wasn't. Every time someone buys a new BMX frame, you know very well it didn't cost $400 to make. If you can create a quality product or experience, it's your right to monetize it as you see fit. And if you disagree, vote with your money and don't support it. Freedom is a beautiful thing!

|

2/17/2018 11:52 PM

Those big ass ramp to dirt hits looked like the best thing at swamp fest this year in my opinion

|

2/18/2018 6:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/18/2018 8:06 PM

I say, who cares... spray painted ramps suck anyway.

|

2/18/2018 6:30 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah tbh I don't even know what the fuck team weed is... I don't do drugs and I like to stay a ls far away from it as ...more

I smoke weed everyday, but I think "team weed" is pretty shameless, and stupid. I don't support advertising drugs to children.

|

2/18/2018 8:07 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

I smoke weed everyday, but I think "team weed" is pretty shameless, and stupid. I don't support advertising drugs to children. ...more

I think it isn't encouraging it but laughing at the weed smoking culture, and if you can't see them smoke or they haven't told you they smoke weed then you would probably never know.
You would be surprised how many people you interact with every day smoke weed if you knew.

|

Hmmm

2/18/2018 9:24 AM

Some of y’all don’t seem to fully understand TeamWeed. It’s basically a joke account, poking fun at riders and whatnot. Like broken said, a bmx meme account. It’s quite good if you take time out of your day to look at it

|

2/18/2018 9:25 AM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Some of y’all don’t seem to fully understand TeamWeed. It’s basically a joke account, poking fun at riders and whatnot. Like ...more

Ohh ok, I thought they were serious lol.

|

2/18/2018 9:59 AM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Some of y’all don’t seem to fully understand TeamWeed. It’s basically a joke account, poking fun at riders and whatnot. Like ...more

Oh I can tell. I think it’s pretty important to remember bmx is a sport mostly for outcasts and people who don’t take organized sports too seriously. Most of us are fuckin losers. I think that erases a lot of the pretense.

But here’s my big take away. Swampfest started as a backyard redneck jam. The line between rider and bmx company is probably one of the shortest in any sport besides skateboarding. Most companies are born out of the need for the rider to be listened to.

So the fact that some of the biggest companies in BMX showed up and sponsored Swampfest doesn’t really mean that it’s “gone corporate”. These companies don’t even exist to every day people. Nobody knows what Swampfest is besides us. It’s not like the Toyota Triple Challenge where someone could easily break their neck and the prize money wouldn’t cover the cost of a trip to the ER.

Personally I can’t stand Trey Jones, but the dude got off his ass, proposed an event to a venue, organized, built, set up, and created a great event that I’m disappointed I couldn’t make it to. All in the middle of an empty field. If he doesn’t want you spray painting the ramps, swallow your pride, have some respect for the dudes wishes, and don’t spray the ramps. Not a huge deal.

Not get all serious, but the US has a serious societal problem with people coming together. To the point where some crazy shithead walking into a school and blasting 20 students is just another news day here. What’s even crazier is that school is in the same state as Swampfest.

So the less bullshit, the less fighting, the more community we have the better. We all gotta learn to kinda swallow our “but it’s my right!” and just be cool with each other.

|

2/18/2018 10:29 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Oh I can tell. I think it’s pretty important to remember bmx is a sport mostly for outcasts and people who don’t take ...more

I strongly agree with the last three paragraphs here (other than the part about not being able to stand Trey... haha).

|

2/18/2018 1:57 PM

^

That's one of the replies to only read. Along with grumpySteve's, that I wholeheartedly agree with.

Let's just slim it down. To organise a jam of that scale (or of any scale) takes effort, time, money. The only thing we, as responsible and respectable human beings, is to respect our fellow riders.

Without respect and trust nothing is ever going to get anywhere.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

2/18/2018 7:59 PM

I know when it comes to skateboarding, skating on spray paint is sketchy af. You always have to ride painted ramps a little more conservatively, and if it's on wooden ramps, forget about it. I know it doesn't apply as much to riding, but I'm sure it is a little more slippery.

|

2/19/2018 7:30 AM

kylecarlson wrote:

I strongly agree with the last three paragraphs here (other than the part about not being able to stand Trey... haha).

Hahah, well...I don't think he's a terrible person or anything, I'm just not a fan of his riding is all.

Either way, I respect the guy for

A. What he's done for riding (definitely inspired hundreds of kids to ride) and

B. What he's done with Swampfest. I'm seriously tempted to plan to go next year. It looked like a huge amount of dirty redneck fun.

|

2/19/2018 8:03 AM

I have no opinion on the spray painting thing. But I can say that it looked like a whole lot of fun and if it is about money, then that is all cool if it means Swampfest gets even bigger and better next year!

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

2/19/2018 8:38 AM

Trey did people a favour , why waste your money on spray paint , when the ramps just got burned in a big ass fire in the end any ways , that’s money you could have spent on beer

|

2/19/2018 8:45 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Trey did people a favour , why waste your money on spray paint , when the ramps just got burned in a big ass fire in the end ...more

The burning at the end though... Now that's fucking crazy.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

2/19/2018 11:38 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Trey did people a favour , why waste your money on spray paint , when the ramps just got burned in a big ass fire in the end ...more

You are a brilliant man.

|