No helmet edits

Related:
Create New Tag

9/6/2018 9:09 PM

I constantly see pro edits with the standard falling several times before landing a trick but they usually never wear helmets. I get they are pro, but they still fall why do they risk it? It is kind of mind blowing. What do you guys think?

|

9/6/2018 9:40 PM

King_Maker wrote:

I constantly see pro edits with the standard falling several times before landing a trick but they usually never wear helmets. I get they are pro, but they still fall why do they risk it? It is kind of mind blowing. What do you guys think?

A lot of the pros grew up watching dudes who never wore helmets, then rode with other people that never wore helmets. Once you have a habit, it's not easy to change. Plus I think there's still a general opinion in bmx that helmets are for pussies, especially among street riders.

I've done snowboarding for 10+ years, always with a helmet and couldn't imagine going out there without one. However, I have no helmet when I ride a bmx. Trying to change that tho, just need to find one that doesn't give me a headache.

|

9/6/2018 10:07 PM

Rode with a helmet religiously for a while then it slowly faded away . Stupid ? Yes . But it happens . I dont know what to say , helmets have advantages but the ability to just hop on your bike and go is just the best . I will throw a helmet on for big stuff or transition

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/6/2018 10:51 PM

I've never worn a helmet. A lot of pro's are the same, they just don't like em

Pro choice

|

9/6/2018 11:31 PM

It's obviously rider choice. No changing what people think. That being said, I think no helmet is a horrible choice.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

9/7/2018 12:37 AM

They are dumb.

To me one head trauma is more than enough, I wasn't even attempting something crazy, just a 180 downstairs, the fork steerer tube broke at the landing and BOOM ! it knockedme out...

|

9/7/2018 1:03 AM

My take on it is you could fall and hit your head doing literally anything. But you wouldn't wear a helmet to the supermarket just in case, would you? Your chances of getting hit by a car are higher, but you don't wear full body armour to cross a road.

To me personally, all pads are tempting fate. I don't wear knee or shin pads, and I've only had one shinner in the past couple of years. If I fall, it's usually my hands that end up worst off.
The two times I did wear a helmet, it made me think constantly about falling and hitting my head, and I did, both times.

But, I'm not going to be trying flair whips. My style of riding is really easy to jump safely from my bike. And even though I'm getting old, my reactions are quick enough to save me. If I hit my head, I'm fully aware it's my own fault. But I simply can't see it happening with how I ride

|

9/7/2018 1:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/7/2018 1:24 AM

I automatically assume that a BMX rider not wearing a helmet is a complete idiot, and I'm always right after speaking with them a bit.

Just in this thread we have someone arguing that you're as likely to hit your head at the supermarket as when riding BMX, which is laughable to say the least.

|

9/7/2018 2:31 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

My take on it is you could fall and hit your head doing literally anything. But you wouldn't wear a helmet to the supermarket just in case, would you? Your chances of getting hit by a car are higher, but you don't wear full body armour to cross a road.

To me personally, all pads are tempting fate. I don't wear knee or shin pads, and I've only had one shinner in the past couple of years. If I fall, it's usually my hands that end up worst off.
The two times I did wear a helmet, it made me think constantly about falling and hitting my head, and I did, both times.

But, I'm not going to be trying flair whips. My style of riding is really easy to jump safely from my bike. And even though I'm getting old, my reactions are quick enough to save me. If I hit my head, I'm fully aware it's my own fault. But I simply can't see it happening with how I ride

Yeah luck (or unluck) is a big factor, not only bmx wise.

But bmx is one risky thing we love and choose to do, so why not make it safer to ride longer ?

I learned a lesson on my crash, wear the helmet whatever you do, because just riding the bike and do a simple hop was impossible to do for nearly two month, I fully recovered and progressed since but it's a scary feeling to not being able to control our own body, one year later Scotty crashed and I understood how lucky I am, I hope he will recover fully some day.

Take Brandon Begin as an example, he doesn't ride a helmet because he wants to look cool or doesn't feel comfy on a helmet or whatever, he knocked his head half cabbing el toro, was lucky to recover, and still dosen't wear a helmet... why ? just because he will not cab el toro again... that's his choice yeah, but not the smartest one.

|

9/7/2018 3:23 AM

Fatalize wrote:

I automatically assume that a BMX rider not wearing a helmet is a complete idiot, and I'm always right after speaking with them a bit.

Just in this thread we have someone arguing that you're as likely to hit your head at the supermarket as when riding BMX, which is laughable to say the least.

If you don't want to get hurt, don't ride a bmx. It's that simple really. I've been riding over 20 years and never broken a bone. Call me an idiot because I make a conscious choice how to live my life? I hope you get hit by a bus while not wearing pads. Would that make you start wearing full body armour to go shopping?

To put this into perspective, robbo has been riding trails for a long long time, then falls off a cliff and is told he won't walk again. I know more people that have been hit by cars while commuting to work, than people that have fallen off a bmx, resulting in life long injuries.

|

9/7/2018 3:36 AM

100% helmet rider right here. I ALWAYS wear my helmet. The risk doesnt outway the reward. You NEVER know whats going to happen. What if an aminal or something came and ran right in front of you and you fell? Wasn't in your control but you just fell without a helmet and could suffer brain injury if you hit your head.

I really dont know, i mean if there's a risk to something and there's a way to prevent or make the risk not as bad, wouldn't you do it?

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/7/2018 3:56 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

If you don't want to get hurt, don't ride a bmx. It's that simple really. I've been riding over 20 years and never broken a bone. Call me an idiot because I make a conscious choice how to live my life? I hope you get hit by a bus while not wearing pads. Would that make you start wearing full body armour to go shopping?

To put this into perspective, robbo has been riding trails for a long long time, then falls off a cliff and is told he won't walk again. I know more people that have been hit by cars while commuting to work, than people that have fallen off a bmx, resulting in life long injuries.

1) Your single personal experience is not a proof that you're right.

2) You know more people hit by car because there are WAY WAY more people walking near cars than people riding BMX.

3) Getting hit by a bus when going shopping is not a normal event, while falling in BMX is common and expected.

You should follow some courses on statistics before spewing random shit.

|

9/7/2018 4:00 AM

I try to always wear a helmet, but there are times when it's not with me etc. You can still get injured with a helmet on, but it definitely makes sense to me as it's reducing the risk of me injuring myself to the point where I can't support my family, which would be selfish.

However I would never give someone shit for not wearing a helmet, they aren't hurting me, it's their life, so go live it.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

9/7/2018 4:20 AM

Fatalize wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Fatalize wrote:

2) You know more people hit by car because there are WAY WAY more people walking near cars than people riding BMX.

3) Getting hit by a bus when going shopping is not a normal event, while falling in BMX is common and expected.

So you think more bmxers suffer brain injury, than other cyclists get hit by cars? And I'm the one that needs to look up statistics? Lol
It's not a single personal experience if plenty of bmxers have never broken a bone as a direct result of riding a bmx.
I don't wish harm on anyone, but the principal remains. I bet more people get hit by busses than suffer permanent brain damage falling off a bmx too.

If you don't wear full body armour, your opinion is contradictory. A helmet may save your head if you land on it (a slight concussion is a much likelier reality than serious injury). But it won't stop you shattering a leg, or breaking your spine. Both of which can kill you, or leave you in a wheelchair for the rest of your life.

If someone chooses to wear a helmet, cool. But it's personal choice. And calling someone an idiot for not wearing a helmet, when you know very little else about them, makes you a dick

|

9/7/2018 5:54 AM

Fatalize wrote:

Come on man, no need to be so rude. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, no matter how much different from yours.

|

9/7/2018 6:08 AM

Not about edits but still. Speaking of helmets. Seeing the practice sessions at BOH, I don't see many helmets. I understand it's choice on the streets but I thought it would have been mandatory at an event in a private skatepark like that.

|

9/7/2018 6:35 AM

I think the only thing a helmet would help stop is concussion or compression of the brain....
Some of the shit I see day to day in my line of work and I still don’t really want to or always do wear a helmet.

It’s your neck that gives you the problems and no helmet will stop you injuring that.

|

9/7/2018 6:44 AM

Interesting opinions even non-helmet riders agree wearing a helmet is the smart choice. I use to ride without a helmet all the time in my teens, but as I got older I realize just how dumb it is. I think Scotty Cranmer's crash really solidified the wearing of a helmet; had that dude not been wearing one he probably would be dead.

Also, I read from someone above that wearing a helmet and riding street is seen as being a pussy and I agree most of the street riders seem to have that mentality. I just hurts when I see someone fall and smash there head. This clip right here made me cringe hard.

?start=226
|

9/7/2018 6:45 AM

philbaines wrote:

I think the only thing a helmet would help stop is concussion or compression of the brain....
Some of the shit I see day to day in my line of work and I still don’t really want to or always do wear a helmet.

It’s your neck that gives you the problems and no helmet will stop you injuring that.

A quick google search on helmets and traumatic brain injuries definitely has strong studies saying otherwise...

|

9/7/2018 6:46 AM

I'm mostly a street rider, and if someone thinks im a pussy for wearing a helmet then fuck them lol. I dont give two shits what people think about me.

|

9/7/2018 6:51 AM

philbaines wrote:

King_Maker wrote:

A quick google search on helmets and traumatic brain injuries definitely has strong studies saying otherwise...

And the helmets that are designed for Bmx aint gonna stop shit,if you hit your head that hard that thin little piece of plastic between you and the ledge isn’t going to do much.
Motorcycle helmets would help-but most helmets wouldn’t do much apart from stoping a skin break, if I’m correct most helmets sold for skate/Bmx etc ain’t crash tested

|

9/7/2018 6:52 AM

I wear one sometimes and sometimes not. I've ridden many many miles on my bike and fully understand the risks and variables involved. But when I'm just pumping the skatepark, doing some smiths, 180s, manuals, etc, I don't really wear one.

I've done all sorts of skating, boarding, biking, falling, etc and I've only ever gotten legitimately injured by doing something non-sports related. My worst injury came from stepping off a curb after work.

It's everyone's own choice, and unless someone is putting a gun to your dick and forcing you to wear one/not wear one, it shouldn't bother you much.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

9/7/2018 7:09 AM

Kids should wear a helmet - but if you're over 18 it should be your decision.

|

9/7/2018 7:25 AM

My honest opinion is when I see an edit where someone’s wearing a helmet I can still appreciate the riding but it does automatically get filed in my head as a “helmet edit”. The only edits where I’d rather see someone wearing a helmet than without are for riders who have already smacked their heads to the point of injury (van Homan, aitken)...can definitely see the problem in that, and the argument that wearing a helmet in the first place could have prevented/lessened the injury, but to me it then changes the entire feel of the riding and expression of the rider...I don’t think less of them just slightly differently. Also can see how some riders push themselves harder or take an approach in which wearing a helmet really does serve them, whereas other styles and approaches don’t really warrant them as the risk of hitting the head is so low it’s not even something to allocate brain resources to for preventive purposes...

When I ride I don’t have a helmet and hitting my head isn’t an option, if I put a helmet on I’ve created a narrative where hitting my head has a high enough chance of happening to where my only piece of protection is there and subconsciously becomes a place to fall on. In the two years I’ve been riding I’ve had two above the neck incidents, both times hit my face hard and had to reasses the mechanics of the situations and learned from it...I would have liked to not hit my face especially the second time as my cheekbone eyesocket and forehead are not exactly the same as before (gratefully still handsome) but a regular helmet wouldn’t have helped in that situation and I didn’t get knocked out, no headaches or vision problems, no cognitive disturbances...so I just see it as coming with the territory and feel that what I get out of riding my bike is more important than general vanity or adhering to a fear based concept of self preservation.

|

account here is less about my and more about bike

9/7/2018 7:25 AM

vie4130 wrote:

I read that with an Arnold Schwarzenegger accent.

|

9/7/2018 7:35 AM

vie4130 wrote:

jbales wrote:

I read that with an Arnold Schwarzenegger accent.

wink
|

9/7/2018 7:39 AM

philbaines wrote:

King_Maker wrote:

philbaines wrote:

And the helmets that are designed for Bmx aint gonna stop shit,if you hit your head that hard that thin little piece of plastic between you and the ledge isn’t going to do much.
Motorcycle helmets would help-but most helmets wouldn’t do much apart from stoping a skin break, if I’m correct most helmets sold for skate/Bmx etc ain’t crash tested

That depends. In the UK every single helmet sold has to comply with certain regulations. In America you can buy non certified helmets, here you can't. But protec, shadow, etc all comply to our safety standards. There's not much point in wearing an uncertified helmet, but a certified helmet certainly will make a difference.

|

9/7/2018 7:46 AM

King_Maker wrote:

philbaines wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

That depends. In the UK every single helmet sold has to comply with certain regulations. In America you can buy non certified helmets, here you can't. But protec, shadow, etc all comply to our safety standards. There's not much point in wearing an uncertified helmet, but a certified helmet certainly will make a difference.

I’m sure “which” did a test on some helmets and they wanted a few recalleded because they were that bad

|

9/7/2018 7:51 AM

philbaines wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

philbaines wrote:

I’m sure “which” did a test on some helmets and they wanted a few recalleded because they were that bad

Yeah probably. But the bad ones could be the cheap uncertified ones that offer little protection. I know shadow and protec stress test theirs. Although I believe some protec are uncertified, they'd still offer more protection than a cheap uncertified helmet.

|

9/7/2018 8:02 AM

My Shadow Helmet is pretty radcool It's certified too, there is literally zero point in wearing an uncertified helmet...

|