NoWear BMX

Related:
Create New Tag

10/30/2017 4:13 PM

I never see them discussed here.

I think they are BRILLIANT.

Their designs put me off a little at first but I now embrace it wholeheartedly. Their frame with chainstay brakes and that decade platform are badass, and those bars drip with style. And they've got the crazy ramp-riding/park riding style to match. I just love it

|

10/30/2017 5:28 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

I never see them discussed here.

I think they are BRILLIANT.

Their designs put me off a little at first but I now embrace it ...more

I'm a fan, Karl is a rad dude who has done SO MUCH for BMX. His compound is FREE FOR ANYONE to come ride, and he is working on building a big INDOOR SPOT that will be free as well.

Seriously, he is one of the few dudes still doing it his own way, and not enough good can be said about the guy. I'd easily put him as one of the most underrated humans who rides out there. It's clearly a labor of love for him!

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/30/2017 8:44 PM

damn...this would be worth the drive from C-bus to visit...next summer? Or spring break....

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

10/30/2017 8:52 PM

NoWear is awesome. Was introduced to them through front-braker Mike DiNello. I definitely agree that their designs are a stand-out, but I find myself wanting Mike's frame more and more, haha.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

10/30/2017 8:58 PM

I like the bars a lot. It's nice to see something different. I like the four piece bars a lot.

|

10/30/2017 11:44 PM

Meh, it's pointless. The bars are only useful if you do candy bars, and the frame is structurally weaker by having such a low slung toptube.
I think it's awesome that they're doing something different, but it's not like those things have never been done, or actually make them better

|

10/31/2017 7:32 AM

the bars are the best

|

It’s all bmx

10/31/2017 8:07 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Meh, it's pointless. The bars are only useful if you do candy bars, and the frame is structurally weaker by having such a low ...more

Being that they are made by Rick and the guys at Standard, their quality is good. Besides, the riding done on them is widely varied-from triple whips down to front wheel flatland and they have all taken it very well for around a year or so. Haven't heard of a single one with issues-and I know if there was Karl would be good about fixing the situation one way or another.

I wouldn't say they are "weaker" being that they've been taking more abuse than your average aftermarket frames these days without issue.

The bars are designed around candy bars being easier, but it upend up for a lot and puts a well needed variety into bmx to avoid the cookie cutter stuff that we all see Day in and day out.

Plus you cannot watch a video from these guys and not want to be there-they clearly are doing it for fun-which is something I KNOW you are about.

I'd rock one all day on new frame day. I actually want the 4 piece bars in black.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/31/2017 4:40 PM

I think the way that they keep the seatstay up higher and run tubing to the back part of the downtube on the other side of the seat makes it a LOT stronger than traditional low-slung toptubes (Killorado, anyone?)

|

10/31/2017 7:46 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

I think the way that they keep the seatstay up higher and run tubing to the back part of the downtube on the other side of the ...more

Definitely. There's an extra triangle there too. I'd bet they are just as strong as any other frame. Plus made by standard. Can't beat that. I think it looks awesome. I'd like to see something with a more ridable geometry though. Those specs just look scary to me.

|

10/31/2017 8:24 PM

Anything made by Standard is quality. How many frames are lifetime warranty covered? Standard, Sunday and Solid and a few others are really good with the support. S&M and FBM stand behind what they make. After that... I really don’t know of any of the top of my head. And that’s after 30+ years riding.

|

11/1/2017 12:22 AM

I know standard make good quality stuff, but the low slung tt inherently makes the headtube area weaker than a traditional double diamond frame.

|

11/1/2017 4:54 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I know standard make good quality stuff, but the low slung tt inherently makes the headtube area weaker than a traditional ...more

But this frame has an extra triangle in it, and the rear triangle isn't lower than normal.

|

11/1/2017 6:47 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

I think the way that they keep the seatstay up higher and run tubing to the back part of the downtube on the other side of the ...more

ggallin422 wrote:

Definitely. There's an extra triangle there too. I'd bet they are just as strong as any other frame. Plus made by standard. ...more

Yeah the geo is worst nightmare sort of material to me but I still appreciate them.

|

11/1/2017 7:02 AM

Not a fan of the products (based strictly on appearance - not by strength / quality), but have heard nothing but good things about the guy in charge over there.

|

11/1/2017 7:53 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I know standard make good quality stuff, but the low slung tt inherently makes the headtube area weaker than a traditional ...more

ggallin422 wrote:

But this frame has an extra triangle in it, and the rear triangle isn't lower than normal.

As I said, it weakens the headtube. Having an extra tube near the seat tube makes no difference to the headtube area

|

11/1/2017 8:04 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

As I said, it weakens the headtube. Having an extra tube near the seat tube makes no difference to the headtube area

This man knows. NoWear is definitely cool but that frame is sacrificing strength for uniqueness.

|

11/1/2017 8:36 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Xxohioanxx wrote:

This man knows. NoWear is definitely cool but that frame is sacrificing strength for uniqueness.

But the lowered toptube DOES serve a function, especially with the way they ride.

|

11/1/2017 10:01 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

But the lowered toptube DOES serve a function, especially with the way they ride.

No doubt, but at the cost of a weakened front end. I prefer to keep my face over a slightly lower top tube.

|

11/1/2017 10:50 AM

Plus it looks goofy af

|

11/1/2017 11:06 AM

I dig the bars for the old school look. I do not dig that frame but see the benefit for flatland. I don't think flatlanders are being that aggressive with landings etc that I would worry about any weak points though...

|

11/1/2017 12:37 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

I dig the bars for the old school look. I do not dig that frame but see the benefit for flatland. I don't think flatlanders ...more

This.

I have seen flatland riders who do a little park here and there on GT frames from the mid 90's that are PERFECT.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura