Noisy driver??

Related:
Create New Tag

5/21/2020 5:22 PM

So I just mounted my new 22" wheels and tires. I wanted the Fit or Revenge 22" wheel set, but they seemed to be hard to find the other day when I wanted to buy, so I ended up with some Stolen Rampage wheels. I was riding my 20" Fit wheels, on this frame previously. The 20" were perfectly smooth, and quiet. After bolting on the 22" wheels, I ended up with an occasional popping noise, and I could feel a slight rumble in my pedals. Thought maybe the chain was too tight so I've loosened it, and adjusted it numerous times trying to get this thing smooth again. Right now it's at the best position I have found as far as getting it quieter, and somewhat smooth, but I'm just wondering what the heck is going on. Maybe the cassette or driver on the other wheels are just better, idk.. Could something possibly need grease? The chain, sprocket, everything is pretty new, couple weeks old. I even adjusted the sprocket for better chain alignment, even though it was perfect with the 20" wheels.

|

5/22/2020 1:57 PM

Switch back....is the noise still there?

|

5/22/2020 3:03 PM

The slight rumble may be an indicator of bad bearings.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

5/22/2020 5:41 PM

Make sure your cone nut isn't too tight on the driver. The bearings in that hub's driver tend to blow out pretty easily so be careful with how much you tighten that cone nut.

|

5/22/2020 9:19 PM

Undesemin wrote:

Make sure your cone nut isn't too tight on the driver. The bearings in that hub's driver tend to blow out pretty easily so be careful with how much you tighten that cone nut.

I'll look into this, thanks.

|

5/23/2020 10:39 PM

FrmDaLeftCoast wrote:

Switch back....is the noise still there?

Got tired of the popping and switched back to the 20" wheels. Problem solved.. kind of, except I want to get it fixed and use the 22" wheels I just bought.

|

5/24/2020 9:02 AM

So I just removed the driver to see if I could find anything. The pawl spring is different on this driver. Instead of the normal little spring with each pawl, this one has 1 round spring that goes around each pawl to hold them in place. I didn't actually see anything messed up or damaged, the bearings seem to spin nice and smooth. I put a little bit of grease on the driver ring, and put it back together. I
just took it for a short spin and it didn't pop at all. I tightened up the spokes as they were pretty loose, it's possible the popping noise could have been from the spokes I guess.

|

5/25/2020 4:50 AM

Probably a pre-stretched chain set into a different driver.

Are you putting 22" wheels on a frame/fork setup for 20"?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura