Non agressive riding

Related:
Create New Tag

9/16/2015 5:35 AM

Hi all,
I am new to BMX, after many years of non agressive mtb. I ride mostly for fun and fitness and I love my new cruiser, but all I hear since getting the bike is 'what tricks can you do?' and 'you should do this or that trick'. Doesn't anyone ride BMX with two wheels on the ground, and not racing against the clock?

I'd love to hear from those who do.
Eugene

|

9/16/2015 6:08 AM

For the most part people on here are all about tricks, and you'll see that with young kids. That's all they care about, and if you say you can do a barspin, they respond with "Do it".

They don't care if you WANT to do them, they just expect you to show off.

Honestly I have found just cruising, doing little stuff here and there is more fun to me nowadays.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/16/2015 6:40 AM

I'm big on just flowing around bowls. Yes, that involves less than two tires on the ground, but I don't really do tricks aside from a few tabletops and maybe a 270.

When kids ask, I just tell them I don't really do tricks; I just like to go fast.

|

9/16/2015 6:55 AM

Well, first the foundation of BMX is in racing and freestyle (tricks and stuff) So, practically everyone that gets into it does one or the other (or both)....it's sorta the point and a super comfy cruise is not what BMX bikes are designed for.

Second, if you like cruising around on your 24", go for it. There isn't a rule book to follow, so choose a path or blaze your own and most importantly, have fun doing it. Kids are going to talk shit, make fun, and whatever else....so get used to ignoring them, fighting (if you are also a youth), or showing them up.

If, however, you are trying to cruise around a skatepark, then you should really go somewhere else.

|

9/16/2015 7:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/16/2015 7:08 AM

mlsthmpsn wrote:

Well, first the foundation of BMX is in racing and freestyle (tricks and stuff) So, practically everyone that gets into it does one or the other (or both)....it's sorta the point and a super comfy cruise is not what BMX bikes are designed for.

Second, if you like cruising around on your 24", go for it. There isn't a rule book to follow, so choose a path or blaze your own and most importantly, have fun doing it. Kids are going to talk shit, make fun, and whatever else....so get used to ignoring them, fighting (if you are also a youth), or showing them up.

If, however, you are trying to cruise around a skatepark, then you should really go somewhere else.

This is incredibly contradictory.

You say it freestyle and that he can choose his path, but if he is just going to cruise he should stay away from the skatepark. How does that make sense?

Not everyone goes to a skatepark to ride the foot tall ledges and rails. Some people like to cruise around, some pump bowls, some hammer out flipwhips over ridiculous gaps. Some do a little of everything. There is no "set" requirement on a BMX bike. I have 4 pegs, yet rarely grind. Am I in the wrong for that?

Does that mean someone who rides trails is not allowed to flow a park too if they don't want to do tricks? Or is that not allowed? What if a flatlander shows up and only wants to fakie around some?, is that wrong too?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/16/2015 7:46 AM

He said that he doesn't do tricks and only rides with two wheels on the ground, just cruising around...I take "cruise" to mean more just slow pedaling, like you are on a beach boardwalk or something, enjoying the scenery. This is not what skateparks are for.

I don't picture "cruising around" as pumping around bowls or flowing around a park mannying boxes and carving quarters. This is perfectly acceptable at skateparks.

As for flatlanders, they can do whatever they do, just not in the middle of all the features where people are trying to fly back and forth. The few parks I've been to have some open areas for that. If there isn't a spot for that, then most parking lots, tennis courts, cul-de-sac or anywhere else really is much more suited for flatland riding.

|

9/16/2015 8:38 AM

mlsthmpsn wrote:

He said that he doesn't do tricks and only rides with two wheels on the ground, just cruising around...I take "cruise" to mean more just slow pedaling, like you are on a beach boardwalk or something, enjoying the scenery. This is not what skateparks are for.

I don't picture "cruising around" as pumping around bowls or flowing around a park mannying boxes and carving quarters. This is perfectly acceptable at skateparks.

As for flatlanders, they can do whatever they do, just not in the middle of all the features where people are trying to fly back and forth. The few parks I've been to have some open areas for that. If there isn't a spot for that, then most parking lots, tennis courts, cul-de-sac or anywhere else really is much more suited for flatland riding.

I take "cruise" to mean not really intending to do anything to crazy, just carving around, taking it easy. I do that when I start my sessions off, and to wind down, or when I am somewhat hurt. Clearly we see it differently.

If we want to get into technicalities, perhaps his "cruising" would escalate into manuals and hops and such, and go from there, into the "trick territory" you feel is required to ride a skatepark. BUT since we don't know that, I would say it is perfectly acceptable for him to ride a park if he wants, regardless of wheels leaving the ground. As long as he is having fun and not intentionally getting in the way, who cares? Sure, some kids harass him, but kids are assholes, and when it comes to BMX, it is always basically a "who has a bigger wiener" contest with riders under roughly 20. Plus, WE ALL START SOMEWHERE.

There are better places to just roll around casually, but that doesn't mean he needs to stay away from places that are designed for other uses. Would you tell BMXers on a mountain bike trail that they are not allowed because they are hopping and jumping stuff on the trail? It's not designed for what they are doing, so they must not be able to use it for that, right?

I hope you understand that BMX started with kids using their bikes for things they weren't designed for, so to say that essentially you "must" use everything for what it was designed for is a little silly in my book.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/16/2015 9:50 AM

u liek juses?
Photo

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

9/16/2015 10:22 AM

Always working on the bag of tricks , I need at least an 8 foot tall halfpipe if I'm just going to cruise , or I get bored real quick

|

9/16/2015 10:26 AM

Yeah, I'm 18 and love street (tricks on natural obstacles) but also go to the park some times. But definitely love dort jumping and love the bowl, the bowl is so addictive. I dont know a lot of tricks on a 24" you can do dirt jumping it's so relaxing

|

9/16/2015 11:31 AM

All I do is pump around and get air, occasional tabletops and turn downs. It's all about finesse

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

9/16/2015 11:59 AM

I just fuck around. I do tricks yes but not to impress anyone. I do things at my own pace with my own style. Fuck anyone that thinks there is a certain way to ride. FREEstyle

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

9/16/2015 1:00 PM

Thank you, everyone,. You've really helped me realize the only thing I'm interested in is cruising and that that's OK. I wish you all happy trails!

|

9/20/2015 9:30 PM

I love just riding around on my bmx. I don't really care for tricks, I can hop gutters and that's about it. I just love peddling the thing really hard. I mostly ride for fitness and leisure and before I had a car it was used for transport frequently.

|