Nonexistent Riding Scene (HELP)

Related:
Create New Tag

6/29/2013 7:21 PM

I bet this'll probably seem pretty ranty, but I don't know where else to go for help so I hope you don't mind. My problem is that in the town I'm from, I'm pretty much the only kid that rides. There's one other but he does cheerleading so he's busy all the time. I live in a small city, so it isn't that surprising that there aren't many riders, but I'm 10 minutes away from Pensacola, a fairly populous city, and the scene there is extremely weak. Neither Gulf Breeze (where I live) nor Pensacola has a skatepark that allows bikes, so even if I do go to the shitty parks we have, the odds of meeting a fellow rider are incredibly slim. I really love riding, but lately having nowhere to ride and no one to ride with has been really frustrating me. There are some street spots in Pensacola for sure, but me going by myself once a week without anyone to motivate me is only so fun. 99% of my riding is in my own small neighborhood.

I just really want to know if any of you have any tips at all regarding how to find other people to ride with. I want to keep rising for as long as I can, but it's hard because recently I've been getting so upset about the monotony of riding all alone. Please if any of you have the same problem or ANY tips whatsoever, please tell me. Thanks.

/rant

|

Refs: element4all, kroller

6/29/2013 7:28 PM

Since you live in a fairly small town this maybe be hard, but what I suggest is trying to influence your friends to ride! Tell them that it's fun and you could teach them a few things and they will never wanna quit! And if that doesn't help maybe you could find someone who skates at the local skatepark and become friends with them and then take them to one of your street spots that you both could bust a few tricks on!

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock
Bike Check
YouTube
Edit
FaceBook (Still Wock)
Twitter (@WillStockSucks)
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

6/29/2013 7:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/29/2013 7:32 PM

yeah what stocksy said and try showing them some real sick edits and bmx movies

|

Give props if deserved but know respect is earned.
-Anthony Flores
My Kinky Setup

6/29/2013 7:41 PM

Stocksy wrote:

Since you live in a fairly small town this maybe be hard, but what I suggest is trying to influence your friends to ride! Tell them that it's fun and you could teach them a few things and they will never wanna quit! And if that doesn't help maybe you could find someone who skates at the local skatepark and become friends with them and then take them to one of your street spots that you both could bust a few tricks on!

Thanks for your help. I don't know about trying to get my friends into it because I tried with one of my friends and it didn't work, plus almost all of them are already involved in a sport which keeps them busy. But I'll definitely take the skater thing into consideration because there's a pretty decent skate scene around here.

|

6/29/2013 8:11 PM

SIRE wrote:

Thanks for your help. I don't know about trying to get my friends into it because I tried with one of my friends and it didn't work, plus almost all of them are already involved in a sport which keeps them busy. But I'll definitely take the skater thing into consideration because there's a pretty decent skate scene around here.

Yeah man I ride with skaters here and there. I don't really live in a very skater-friendly area because I live in West Virginia and it's really hilly here and all of the concrete in my town is cracked and un-even and just torn up! But yeah if you need to ride with skaters, it's better than nobody to ride with at all!

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock
Bike Check
YouTube
Edit
FaceBook (Still Wock)
Twitter (@WillStockSucks)
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

6/29/2013 9:21 PM

Wow a dude that cheerleads instead of riding BMX. What has the world come to? haha but i say keep it lonely, keep it legit. Make your own scene dude. Thats what i did, i inspired a few friends to get a good bike (Stocksy is one of them btw) and a bunch of others by being chill to em, helping them learn and introducing them to things like Vital and lots of videos! its a great time. and when i go into the other town there are other kids i got into riding! its what you make of it man. Get some jumps going, get a few rails, get a grindbox or quarter or half pipe! do whatever you can to make it look cool. First thing to do is get real good! That way when you are doing tricks in front of them they want to also! haha Do what you can, and if it was my choice man, id say just ride, although i love riding with friends, its a lot easier for me to learn tricks alone.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

6/29/2013 10:55 PM

Well I feel sorry for you. I live in a town with about 30-40 other riders.

|

6/30/2013 4:16 PM

bump

|

6/30/2013 9:37 PM

i have almost no spots to ride unless i want ride like 10 miles haha even then its just some ledges that arent even that smooth. plus i skate too and i dont even have a park nearby so i kinda know what you're going through except almost all my friends ride. you should show them videos or like what stocksy said find skaters to ride with. who knows maybe you'll get into skating too. maybe you could get them into riding

|

I dont say stupid things, just no one knows what im talking about.