Noob Questions

Related:
Create New Tag

12/24/2010 6:15 AM

1.can i un-lace a wheel
and
2.if i can and do unlace said wheel, if i change the hub and re-lace it to the rim, will rim be weaker

|

"The more I learn, the more I realize how dumb I am." -JustRideBMX

12/24/2010 6:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2010 6:20 AM

1. yes

2. no

you might need different sized spokes though

|

12/24/2010 6:25 AM

Its not recommended to re-use spokes, but I have seen many people do it with little problem.

|

12/24/2010 7:41 AM

D.E.T. wrote:

Its not recommended to re-use spokes, but I have seen many people do it with little problem.

i probably wouldn't because the hub would need different sized ones, but someone told me that when you lace a wheel, the rim molds to the nips/spokes, and changing them makes the rim weaker

|

"The more I learn, the more I realize how dumb I am." -JustRideBMX

12/24/2010 8:01 AM

It definitely wouldn't make the rim weaker. If anything, it just makes it harder to get and retain good spoke tension. Which is more or less what makes a wheel strong and keeps it tru. Worn out nipples and spokes, would be more prone to loosening.

|

12/24/2010 8:06 AM

D.E.T. wrote:

It definitely wouldn't make the rim weaker. If anything, it just makes it harder to get and retain good spoke tension. Which is more or less what makes a wheel strong and keeps it tru. Worn out nipples and spokes, would be more prone to loosening.

you're right and wrong at the same time.
new spokes have yet to stretch yet. old ones did their stretching already and when they're tight they're tight.
you have to ride on new ones and wait for them to stretch before you tighten them again. you'll find that your new spokes come loose more than old ones because of that.

|

All my edits are iPhone edits...

last member of the week ever

G-SPORT - S&M - FIT - ODYSSEY