Noob question #3 tire pressue

Related:
Create New Tag

6/22/2018 8:54 AM

I believe this is question #3 from me........tire pressue

coming from mtn biking, less tire pressure = more traction, for the most part.

is this the same in bmx?

I am running 40psi....tire says max is 60...I am 6"1' 235lbs.

Had the bike slip out from underneath me and ate shit all over the cement skate park. Running stock tires Mongoose Legion L100) BTW...thanks again to all who suggested this bike to me...great inexpensive complete package..have people at the park compliment it all the time...especially since I took all the stickers off.

Hizzle fo Shizzle'n out.

|

6/22/2018 9:14 AM

Put 60 in, especially at the park. A lot of park riders go 100+, with better tires of course. The stock Mongoose tires will also contribute to slipping out.

|

6/22/2018 9:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/22/2018 9:16 AM

Yeah I run 70 at the park/street You might want to invest in new tires.

You do get a bit more of a contact patch with less pressure, but that doesn't always necessarily mean more traction.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

6/22/2018 9:17 AM

The mongoose tires will need some breaking in. Also cement parks/steel parks are notoriously slippery if there is any dust present. 40psi should make you tires feel like clouds. I usually go 60-80 for street and park and 40-60psi for dirt.

This being said, i was not a fan of the mongoose tires, although they are not horrible, I prefer lighter, grippier tires.

|

6/22/2018 9:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/22/2018 9:27 AM

The traction attained from lower pressure in MTB is due to allowing the tire to conform & add contact to more area of the terrain. In BMX, there's certainly a point in which contact patch is important but lowering your pressure too much can result in a washout effect, similar to what you may have experienced in a car with a tire that has low pressure. As you turn the tire sorta rolls over. Most everyone I know runs their tire pressure from 60-100 psi. Many of them in the 80 psi range. You can over inflate your 60 psi tires as they are typically tested to hold beyond what is stated on the sidewall. As in, I have known many people to run 80 psi in a 60 psi tire. At your weight, I'd run at least 60 but I'd probably run it up to 70 psi. Running higher pressure also helps keep pinch flats at bay. Overall, tire pressure is a personal preference. BUT, tire pressure in BMX isn't the most contributing factor to traction, either. There are different tires for different riding. A tire that is good for street, might be shit at an indoor park on super smooth concrete. Likewise, a park tire might be a complete safety hazard on wet pavement. As for tires, again, it's personal preference. I've heard many people praise Donnasqueaks, BSD's and Maxxis Grifters for street. But I'm sure there are others you might like as well. Also, some people like thinner tires over fat tires.

On another note, I believe I was one of (many, I'm sure) that recommended the L100 on your budget. For the money, it's a great deal. Glad you like it. I can't speak to the tires on that bike myself. Bulletpup may be the person you could consult on that. In the meantime (before buying new tires), I'd up the pressure & give it a go to see how the tires feel.

***UPDATE***

During my long-ass post.... Bullet beat me to the punch.

|

6/22/2018 9:30 AM

Thanks for input everyone!!! Much appreciated.

|