Noob question bout hubs

Related:
Create New Tag

4/4/2016 7:31 AM

I'm still sort of a beginner in BMX but I know a few tricks n sh*t but I want to know if I should switch over to a free coaster hub

|

4/4/2016 7:43 AM

It's all about preference, really...in my opinion, a freecoaster is for a little more advanced riders, so it depends on what tricks you do. If you say you're a begginer, the change may not be needed.

|

4/4/2016 8:51 AM

I agree, it's not important for you yet. It won't make anything easier, just different. I'd say learn how to 180 and fakie consistently then see how you feel about it.

|

4/4/2016 9:06 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I agree, it's not important for you yet. It won't make anything easier, just different. I'd say learn how to 180 and fakie ...more

I can 180 but I can't fakie out

|

4/4/2016 9:21 AM

Psycho_Jon831 wrote:

I can 180 but I can't fakie out

stay with a cassette. fakes are a lot harder on a coaster. practice, get better, and as you get more advanced you'll be able to make a more educated choice for hubs

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

4/4/2016 10:07 AM

I’m going to go against the grain here and say that if you think riding freecoaster looks fun, go for it.

If you can’t fakie now, don’t think you’re going to jump on a freecoaster and suddenly be fakieing everywhere. It is harder to fakie on a freecoaster.

It’s also just way, way different.

Here’s my deal. About a month ago I saw a dude who was really good with a freecoaster ride in person for the first time ever, and it looked really fun. I had kinda wanted to try a freecoaster for awhile now, but I had bought into the idea that I should learn to fakie on a cassette first.

I’d never been able to fakie. Not then, not BITD, not ever. If I tried 20 times, I could get out of a fakie maybe once. But that shit looked fun, so I scooped an Odyssey Clutch.

Guess what: First time I rode that shit, I rolled back off a quarterpipe probably 100 times, and got out of a fakie maybe once. That once was accidental because I had it set up with minimal slack and accidently engaged the coaster, so I just pedal pressured that shit around.

Whatever. For like the next two week, I spent like 45 minutes a day just fakieing off that same quarterpipe. The skaters at my local park had to have been laughing their asses off at me behind my back. Now I can halfcab out maybe ¾ of the time, and I’m trying to learn how to actually steer and ride the bike backwards, and to halfcab at a specific spot (not just whenever I decide to chuck it). I’m also at max slack now, but I slowly worked my way there (thank fuck for external adjustment).

So yeah, if I had spent that much time learning to fakie on a cassette, I would have probably gotten to the same point I am now, if not better, but it’s so different, I would be starting all over again once I got a coaster. I still can’t fakie very well on a cassette.

|

4/4/2016 11:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2016 11:27 AM

I've run a few different coasters off and on over the years and I can confirm it will not "make you good at fakies", it is a very different game between the two.

But all in all, if you have the cash and want to, go for it. Worst case scenario you hate it and trade or sell it, best case you love it.

BUT make sure you give it some time to get comfortable on it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura