Noob question...no laughing

Related:
Create New Tag

10/27/2016 11:16 AM

So, I am a "noob" old guy in that I have been riding forever, but am not up on some of the new terminology...

So what is flatland riding?
How is it different from street if it is at all?

Back when I was riding we either had dirt racing, or just riding around the neighborhood (which would have been considered "street" back then, but we didn't ride walls, or grind rails, or drop off of buildings...). We didn't have skateparks to ride in...or even skate in...so there was no "park"...and I get what that is now....

Just trying to keep up on the styles

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

10/27/2016 11:18 AM

Flatland is a freestyle BMX riding style performed on smooth flat surfaces that do not include any ramps, jumps, or grindrails. It is sometimes described as a form of artistic cycling with a blend of breakdancing.

Flatland occupies a position somewhat removed from the rest of freestyle BMX. They are often very dedicated, and will spend several hours a day perfecting their techniques.

Flatland also differs from the others in that the terrain used is nothing but a smooth, flat surface. Tricks are performed by spinning and balancing on the bike in a variety of unexpected positions. Riders almost always use either knurled/grip taped aluminum or plastic pegs to stand on to manipulate the bike into even more imaginative positions.

One of the primary reasons flatlanders often ride only flatland is the decreased stability of using their shorter bikes on ramps, dirt and street.

Flatland:

Street:

|

10/27/2016 11:23 AM

ok..that is sort of what I thought. I have totally seen that before, but thought it was just part of street.

Cool. Now I get it..

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

10/27/2016 9:45 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

ok..that is sort of what I thought. I have totally seen that before, but thought it was just part of street.

Cool. Now I get ...more

To me, it seems like the flat riders are getting more inspiration from street riding.

To save time and explanation, I highly reccommend looking up on YouTube guys like Matthias Dandois, Terry Adams, and many more have super mind-boggling edits.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn