Noob to Site w/ some questions

Related:
Create New Tag

3/26/2016 8:02 PM

Hey all!!
Don't know if this is where this post goes so redirect if it needs to.

I am an old school BMXer who has been riding since 1976. Grew up with the good old days of Mongoose BMX bikes. Still have my 1987 Californian Pro, and am in search of an 81 Supergoose to replace the one that was stolen from me.

Have also been riding MTB for the past 20+ years. I have been living in that world more from a gear/bike standpoint., and need some help with what is quality product now-a-days. I know that (sadly) Mongoose has gone to the bottom of the pile in big box store schlock. My step son wants to get into the BMX thing, and I want to get him a quality bike to start out on, and to ride hopefully as long as I have.

What should i be looking for as far as frame specs/components/quality level? Sizing? As mentioned before, I am very well versed in bike specs in the MTB world....would like to also become the same here in BMX world again

I notice the geometry of current BMX bikes seems to be much different than what I grew up with. Are there any current bikes that are comparable to the older 80's Mongoose stuff?

Ant help would be appreciated

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

3/26/2016 8:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/26/2016 8:58 PM

Full chromoly & All sealed, of course.

|

"It's like riding someone's bike and they got the same frame" -Four
Refs:Four x4,tomdon x5,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

3/26/2016 8:58 PM

Ohio Straight edge represent! Nice motive co avatar.

If you're buying a complete bike to start on look for sealed everything (integrated headset, bottom bracket, hubs etc), chromoly everything, double wall rims, depending on height a 20.5-21" top tube length. And yeah geometry now is all about shorter back ends and poppier bikes for street riding it seems.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

3/26/2016 10:02 PM

Four wrote:

Ohio Straight edge represent! Nice motive co avatar.

If you're buying a complete bike to start on look for sealed everything ...more

Hell yeah! Been sXe since 82 (birth actually) but saw Minor threat live in 82 and that started it all.

Been looking at Sunday bikes, also Terrible One....the geo definitely looks "lower" than my Mongoose. Shorter back ends have crept into mountain bikes as well in the past 10 years....BMX inspired.

Any other good companies? Companies who also have good ethics?

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

3/26/2016 10:25 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

Hell yeah! Been sXe since 82 (birth actually) but saw Minor threat live in 82 and that started it all.

Been looking at ...more

Other good companies vary from people to people. Sunday/Odyssey are great companies that pump a lot into BMX. Are you building a bike or buying a complete? Kink bikes is a great company too and have nice completes. There's a bunch of reputable brands now.

|

MOTW- 6/21/10- 6/27/10
Refs- Hyphy
Facebook

3/26/2016 10:36 PM

Easternbiker93 wrote:

Other good companies vary from people to people. Sunday/Odyssey are great companies that pump a lot into BMX. Are you building ...more

I was thinking about buying complete at first, but after poking around some of the sites, I would consider building. So far, I like what I am seeing by Sunday, Terrible one and We The People. I REALLY like the WTP Patrol build that could be ued both on dirt trails as well as street. That is probably the route I would head down...building something I could off road with as well as street ride. I grew up on the trails on my 70's era Mongoose's.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

3/26/2016 10:48 PM

A mid-level mtb probably costs more than a bomb-proof custom BMX so you might as well go all out if you're gonna go for it.

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

3/26/2016 11:15 PM

As mentioned above you should be looking for a full chromoly frame, fork, bars and cranks. Sealed bearings throughout, then geometry to suit riding style. There's a few completes out there that compare to a custom build that are cheaper than building a custom (they're just not as cool as having custom). It all depends on budget.

United make good completes, as do fit (which is owned by s&m, so you'd be supporting a US company that's been around since 87). Cult, kink, fly, there's quite a few actually.
Wtp completes seem to be good value for money, however I've noticed they're starting to lose some chromo tubes on their frames. Even the more expensive mongoose's are good on paper. The best bet would be to look around on a few sites, take note of any that take your fancy, then compare them to see which would work out best value and have everything you need

|

3/27/2016 1:42 AM

Right now, the best companies for completes are Fit, Sunday, and We The People.

|

3/27/2016 9:14 AM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

A mid-level mtb probably costs more than a bomb-proof custom BMX so you might as well go all out if you're gonna go for it.

First of all...love the user name. Maiden is one of my most fav bands.

Second, I did notice that, and when i do this, i would go all out. i want the bike to last forever. I am not one to skimp on things of this nature. That's why I also want to really do research, and will probably test ride as many as I can.

Cool thing about BMX is there are not as many components as MTB, and that looks like it helps keep the cost down. Love the simplicity of the BMX bike....strong light frame and fork; one gear; one brake....

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

3/27/2016 9:31 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

First of all...love the user name. Maiden is one of my most fav bands.

Second, I did notice that, and when i do this, i would ...more

Cheers on the minor threat too!

Especially if you want something old school looking building a custom allows you infinite color combos and parts that aren't as geared towards the current trends. Most completes right now come stock with huge bars and huge tires and fairly tight geometry. Look up Bone Deth. All their stuff has old school/punk vibes and is solid as hell. I'm the same way about only wanting a totally awesome bike even though I suck at riding

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.

3/27/2016 9:46 AM

Specific geometry that will feel like what you're used to from an older BMX would be like 74.5 degree headtube angle, 13.5"-14" chainstay length and then top tube length will depend on how tall you are. 175mm crank. Handlebars no bigger than like 8.5" unless you're a big dude. that would give you a versatile setup. And like everyone else has said, All chromo (heat treated is even better), all sealed, and double wall rims.

|

My Ride
My Other Ride

3/27/2016 9:48 AM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

Cheers on the minor threat too!

Especially if you want something old school looking building a custom allows you infinite ...more

Yeah...I am definitely not as good as I used to be....old age and injuries will do that. i could see myself getting into jumping again, but not the crazy empty swimming pool/bowl/riding the walls of a 30' culvert stuff anymore. I will let my step son do all that while crank the boom box on the side

I do want a solid bike though, for him and I. I will look up Bone Deth as well. Love to support small, solid companies that do it right and have good ethics

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

3/27/2016 9:50 AM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

Specific geometry that will feel like what you're used to from an older BMX would be like 74.5 degree headtube angle, ...more

Awesome...this is EXACTLY what i have been looking for. Spent all night last night trying to find geometry specs.

Up The Irons!!!!!

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

3/27/2016 11:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2016 11:19 AM

It's cool to see older guys returning to BMX and encouraging their kids to ride! I was into BMX in the 80s and just recently got back into it.
As far as geometry goes, you may also notice that on street/park frames, the bottom bracket is a bit higher than on old school or race-oriented frames. Not sure if this will make much difference for you or not, the higher BB is better for manipulating the bike with your body weight for tricks, but not quite as stable for high speed.
Race frames these days seem to be almost exclusively aluminum (or exotic stuff like CF), so if you prefer the lower BB you may have trouble finding a chromoly frame that suits you.

|

3/27/2016 7:15 PM

loosegrips wrote:

It's cool to see older guys returning to BMX and encouraging their kids to ride! I was into BMX in the 80s and just recently ...more

Yep! I have always said "you are only as old as you let yourself be"....my body is 46, my brain is still 17 (when it needs to be to keep me sane). Sometimes the body doesn't heal as quick as it used to though....

I am definitely going for the Chromoly builds, so the BB height won't factor much in my decision. You definitely won't see me riding rails or hopping off of roofs, but i want something solid to get me around with my step son...who will most likely be doing all of that. I still plan on some medium jumps, and riding dirt like I used to mostly. In the near future, I will be putting some Schwalbe Mad Mikes or Kenda Motocross AK 44's on my good old Mongoose....which I will never retire.

Just bought a new MTB so I will not be spending large amounts of money on a bike for at least another year...which gives me some time to research and test ride. Took me 2 years to finally pull the trigger on my MTB (Surly Krampus).

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

3/27/2016 11:42 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

Been looking at ...more

That's awesome man! You've been edge before I was even born haha.

Terrible one and sunday are both solid. kink, fbm, the take, mutiny, odyssey, g sport, fit, s&m are all solid companies

|

3/28/2016 8:32 AM

Four wrote:

That's awesome man! You've been edge before I was even born haha.

Terrible one and sunday are both solid. kink, fbm, the ...more

Yep. Have never drank, smoked or done any kind of drug. I don't even take medicine when I am sick, and rarely use pain killers for injuries. Unless it is major surgery and I don't have a choice, I pretty much just let my body heal naturally and deal with the pain. Just coming off a pretty bad near dislocation of my hip while playing hockey. rode for the first time in 3 weeks this weekend.

What is the thought about BSD frames? Sort of liking the BSD RVIDXR V2 20.7....

Am also gonna check out some of the ones you listed above. Already been checking out Terrible One,Sunday, and Bone Deth

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

3/28/2016 9:52 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

Yep. Have never drank, smoked or done any kind of drug. I don't even take medicine when I am sick, and rarely use pain killers ...more

That's awesome man. I'm the same way no drugs or medicines or caffeine in large amounts like soda or coffee and haven't smoked or drank apart from a sip of beer when i was like 13 tasted horrible so I guess I've been edge since then.

Bsd frames are solid and that one would be good.

|