Noob guestion#2

Related:
Create New Tag

5/27/2018 6:32 PM

First....thank you to everyone suggested the legion l100...solid cheap bike.

I decided to now # my questions...here is the next question, I am not a small person. I am 6'1 235. I hear some creaking under heavy peadaling...is this something loose potentially, or just strain from weighing soo damn much?

|

5/27/2018 7:02 PM

It's possibly not enough grease on the clamping area where the crank arms meet the spindle. Take it apart and grease everything,

|

5/27/2018 7:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/27/2018 7:59 PM

Grease the stem bolts too, the crank bolts, every bolt grease the hell out of it, and grease user the top cap bolt and the stem, that'll help too, my bike creaked under pressure from the bars, added a little grease under the top cap bolt, and behold, no more creaking! If what I just said makes no sense, I can make a video in the morning showing you what I mean...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

5/27/2018 8:09 PM

I dont think it has anything to do wuth weight.

When you built the bike up did you use your own grease? Sometimes the parts that need greasing come bone dry cause people dont like dealing with goopy shit but grease is a bikes friend!

|

5/28/2018 6:12 AM

Ride it through a car wash

|

Hmmm

5/28/2018 8:09 AM

Edman123 wrote:

This, but do it backwards so it doesn’t rust.

No but for real, I was/am still a big boy so greasing, tightening, riding and then re-tightening things is a must.

Since it’s also a stock bike with stock cranks, I would suggest eventually upgrading to profile cranks. I only say this because I’ve had the same cranks on my bike for 5 years and literally have had 0 issues. They’re expensive profile elites with a titanium spindle but worth every penny. I have the utmost confidence in my drivetrain.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

5/28/2018 9:18 AM

Edman123 wrote:

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

No but for real, I was/am still a big boy so greasing, tightening, riding and ...more

Thunderbolts...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/28/2018 9:26 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

Thunderbolts...

Probably recommending from personal experience

|

Hmmm

5/28/2018 9:52 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

No but for real, I was/am still a big boy so greasing, tightening, riding and ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

Thunderbolts...

Edman123 wrote:

I've been on Thunderbolts for 2 or 3 years now with no complaints. I've been right around 200-225 lbs over that time and I always land like a sack of bricks.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/28/2018 10:41 AM

No need to change cranks for more expensive brand name stuff.

That works, sure, but in your current category, there's no need to go further up.

Unless it's they are cheap, one piece, bent rod cranks...

Just grease it. Stock 3 piece cranks are bulletproof for you.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

5/28/2018 11:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/28/2018 11:04 AM

The cranks on the 2018 l100 are pretty solid. I was hard on them when I had them. There are of course many a better crankset but I dont think you need a new set unless there is something wrong with your current cranks.

Also the legion l100 2018 cranks are 2 peice. I have seen some list them as 48 spline but the ones I had were 8 spline on the side that isnt welded.

Honestly they were solid, only reason I sold them is because I switched to lhd.

If you get Eclat AK pedals it doesn't matter what crankset you have since you can switch the universal pedal bodies around (wish I knew that before I bought more cranks). Lol

I am running rhd thunderbolt cranks LHD at the moment. No issues. smile

No threadlock, no insane tightening either.

|

5/28/2018 11:41 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

Thunderbolts...

Edman123 wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

I've been on Thunderbolts for 2 or 3 years now with no complaints. I've been right around 200-225 lbs over that time and I ...more

I only say Profile because they’re recommended to me/from me from MTB, DH, and BMX guys. I also assume most people are lighter than me so they don’t need anything too crazy. Once someone mentions they’re above 230 I always recommend getting the strongest parts.

But to be honest if I were to go with another set of cranks, I’d probably go with Thunderbolts. I’m kind of an odyssey fanboy.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

5/28/2018 11:56 AM

Edman123 wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

I've been on Thunderbolts for 2 or 3 years now with no complaints. I've been right around 200-225 lbs over that time and I ...more

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

I only say Profile because they’re recommended to me/from me from MTB, DH, and BMX guys. I also assume most people are lighter ...more

I wouldn't quite go as far as saying Profiles are the strongest cranks. I know a number of people who have snapped Profile cranks. What they really are, are known, good quality parts from a great company.

I'm a bit of an Odyssey fanboy too, as evidenced by my bike check. tongue

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

6/3/2018 8:41 AM

Thanks for the info everyone...

|