That's very light.

|

5/31/2016 12:34 AM

That is unbelievably light... How'd you do it? Don't round numbers, now,

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

5/31/2016 1:56 AM

Average bike will be like 25 lbs , but take in 4 pegs , guard sprocket , metal parts like pedals and bar ends , and other factors will add ALOT more .

Think mine is close to 30 . Light bikes are too finnicky , like some weight to man handle around .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/31/2016 3:07 AM

Mines Like 24, not sure since I sawapped some parts, stock was 23.8 but my hub is lighter, no brakes, cut seat post, swapped the steel sprocket for alloy, but the rear rim is heavier, I added pegs, swapped in a beefy chain, hub guards(but the front is plastic and the rear is 7075 and replaced a cone) so not quite sure. I don't like how heavy the huge tires feel on this light bike.

|

5/31/2016 3:08 AM

My dk is about 22.5 after swapping out the railed seat/post and taking of my brakes.

|

5/31/2016 3:18 AM

Lightest bike I've ever had was my old cult. I wasn't trying to make a light bike but had some pretty light parts on it. The tyres were the game changers when I want from some heavy shadow 2.3 something to khe mac2's that weighed over a kilo less. I think that weighed just under 22lbs but felt really unstable and horrible. Plus I don't trust light parts (especially the tyres as a piece of glass ripped an inch hole in one about a month after I got it).
My current bike probably weighs around the 25lbs mark, but the geometry of the frame makes it feel pretty nimble. It's a good balance for my riding of nimble and stable, but I'm still scared to go fast on it haha.

Geometry is the most important factor. There's no point having a light bike with a long back end and small bars as it'll be less nimble than a heavier bike with short rear end and big bars. It's about balance, and what suits your riding style

|

5/31/2016 7:02 AM

20lbs is pretty damn light, I'm pretty sure mine is around 24lbs

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

5/31/2016 7:44 AM

I'm aiming to get mine to 21, it's just over 22lbs and going to drop a little more pretty soon. Almost entirely Odyssey/G-Sport/Sunday parts so it's reasonably light but very strong. 20lbs is the limit for a bike I'd trust to ride.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/31/2016 9:40 AM

I had a bike that was slightly under 20 lbs at one point. It was so light.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

5/31/2016 9:49 AM

When I had no brakes and light weight tires my bike was just a hair over 20 lbs, but I have to say I was not a fan of having it that light. It didn't ride very well and felt super loose and twitchy in the air. I've since switched to heavier rims and tires and put my brakes back on and I think my bike rides a lot better.

|

5/31/2016 10:13 AM

my bike is 27lbs. handles really well imo.

|

5/31/2016 1:17 PM

A heavier bike in my experience holds it's speed better, especially over rough ground and is usually more stable at speed. Only reason I'm building an excessively light one is to see how light I can make it before I start breaking parts. I have a habit of breaking bars, stems, frames and cranks. As long as I avoid making any of those too light, I should be fine tongue .

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/31/2016 5:23 PM

You need to add some weight to your bike if anything , you might end up like some scrawny pussy with no muscles if your just starting out in Bmx , not a good thing if you want to get bike control , the more muscle the better

|

5/31/2016 6:43 PM

eskimojay wrote:

You need to add some weight to your bike if anything , you might end up like some scrawny pussy with no muscles if your just starting out in Bmx , not a good thing if you want to get bike control , the more muscle the better

If the bike works, why would he change it?

I've personally ridden 32lb builds all the way down to my current 22lb build. In my experience the lighter bike is just easier to ride for longer, feels a little less stable but is slightly easier to throw around for things like 180 whips, 3s and 5s. No matter what kind of riding you're doing, how easy it is mainly depends on your technique. For example, I learned to half-cab over bar height on a very heavy bike and since changing to the lighter one, that height hasn't changed at all. I just can't go higher because my technique doesn't allow me, nothing to do with how much muscle I have. Same with airs, bunnyhops, very little changed going from one to the other.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

5/31/2016 7:18 PM

I did a 360 flyout on a light bike with a super short CS coming from a heavy bike and almost did a 540 lmfao it spun so fast

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/31/2016 9:03 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I did a 360 flyout on a light bike with a super short CS coming from a heavy bike and almost did a 540 lmfao it spun so fast

Short frames tend to spin really easily, there's also a noticeable difference in short offset forks. Not much but definitely a difference. Spinning is the only thing I've noticed becoming easier when switching between a heavy and a light bike, whereas before I was struggling to get to 450 I'm now struggling to not overrotate 5s. That said though, the geo of my current build is a lot different to my 2004 Volume Ardelean build tongue

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson