Nostalgia

Related:
Create New Tag

6/13/2016 7:15 AM

So when i was young i couldnt afford a nice bike. I could get what ever wal mart had. Well now im 28 make decent money and would like to get a decent bike. Nothin expensive just used that i can cruise around chicago and hop down stairs like a 12 year old. My question is i have no idea what to buy. I remember 15 20 yrs ago it was like dyno gt haro diamonback. I also dont know what size to get. Im 5'9 150lbs. Just lookin for recomendations of what to look for to act like a kid again haha

|

6/13/2016 9:28 AM

hotshod wrote:

So when i was young i couldnt afford a nice bike. I could get what ever wal mart had. Well now im 28 make decent money and ...more

Lol I feel yah even though I'm 14 still smile

|

6/13/2016 9:49 AM

hotshod wrote:

So when i was young i couldnt afford a nice bike. I could get what ever wal mart had. Well now im 28 make decent money and ...more

here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dyno-Air-Bmx-Bicycle-58876-/142000925976?hash=item210fea2d18:g:vuYAAOSw2ENW8WRg

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

6/13/2016 10:34 AM

It depends heavily on your budget. I'd suggest getting a good complete rather than just something cheap to mess around on because chances are you'll catch the bug again! I'm 35 and started riding again a few years ago after buying a jump bike hoping it would make a fun commuting bike, turns out I didn't like it so swapped it for a bmx, then built on that to (almost) have my dream bike

|

6/13/2016 11:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2016 11:39 AM

hotshod wrote:

Get a 2-3 yr old complete off Kijiji. There are dozens of wacky brands out there now GT, Haro and the ones you knew are pretty much gone. They don't even appear in the "brands" list on the bike check section of Vital!

Nowadays We The Strange People into BSD and S&M get Fit on Sundays.

The bike you always wanted but could never afford should run you about $300 or less used : Full cro-mo f/f/bars, u brake, beefy 14mm rear axle, alloy rims, sealed mostly and a headset that never loosens up. You'll have to google the model to be sure it's full cro-mo.

|

New tech can't beat old school cool...or can it?
1987 O.O.S. Redline RL20II (Old Old Stock - this ain't no museum piece kids!)
2012 Norco Deviant
1996 GT Avalanche LE w/ Full 2002 XT upgrade and NE Total Air MZO fork

6/13/2016 12:57 PM

So what brands and models. I kinda started to research but all i have is my phone and i got sick of looking up all the brands then their different models and sizes haha. Honestly i had no idea there was so much. For example i found a haro backtrail x1 i believe it was for like $100 but this may be some heavy clunky pile of junk . Basically i need someone to tell me what to look for haha. Dont leave it up to me or il end up with a pick huffy with training wheels. Act like im a child haha. I dont know what bikes are what sizes. I dont wanna go to pick up a bike and have it be toddler sized

|

6/13/2016 1:09 PM

hotshod wrote:

I'd go with a 21 inch top tube. It's going to feel nice and roomy for ya.

How much do you want to spend?

|

6/13/2016 1:14 PM

I dont know all the old brands i was lookin at i was finding stuff between 100 and 200. I dont need fancy by any means. Thats just all i know to look for but for the right thing i could pay more. I just dont even know what a fair price is for stuff

|

6/13/2016 1:30 PM

You won't get much for that. It's definitely worthwhile trying to double that kind of budget, then you'd have a half decent bike that you could still sell on if you find you don't enjoy it. If you do enjoy it and start riding kind of seriously, you'll be spending money all over the place to upgrade things

|

6/13/2016 2:01 PM

And what models/brands. Like i saw the haro backtrail x3 or the f3 or should i stay away from haros all together. Like i said im going of vague memories from 15 or 20 yrs ago.

|

6/13/2016 2:58 PM

hotshod wrote:

And what models/brands. Like i saw the haro backtrail x3 or the f3 or should i stay away from haros all together. Like i said ...more

Welcome back to BMX, hot! :D

Like most of us here, I'd recommend getting a brand new complete. In the long run, it will definitely work best for you, as you can swap and replace parts as time goes on. I myself began with a complete two years ago, but now all that remains of that complete is the frame and cranks, haha!

When looking for a bike, make sure the metal (Primarily the frame, fork, and handlebar.) is made of 100% Chromoly. Some frames use a mix of Chromoly and some other material such as Hi-Ten Steel, which is much weaker than a full-Chromoly metal. Also, look for sealed bearings for the wheels and an integrated sealed headset as well. They are much stronger and reliable.

What's your budget like? If you have a decent amount to spend, try looking into Colony or Sunday. They're a bit pricey, but overall great completes to begin with. If, however, your budget is lower, Fit or KINK may be worth a look. They have pretty nice completes as well.

Remember, it's always a good idea to wear a helmet! Talk to you later.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

6/13/2016 3:21 PM

I have a hard time justifying a new bike. I dont know how often i will even be able to ride or il nvr race or compete its just somethin decent to plunk around on and take off sweet jumps every now and them

|

6/13/2016 3:30 PM

hotshod wrote:

I have a hard time justifying a new bike. I dont know how often i will even be able to ride or il nvr race or compete its just ...more

Racing and freestyle have gone very separate ways over the years. Freestyle bikes are usually Hi Tensile steel or Chromoly (aim for this).

Race bikes are mostly aluminum and sometimes have some Carbon Fiber thrown in. RARE to see steel in racing-especially on a frame.

If you plan to just rip around, hit up craigslist, and look for pretty much any brand you find on Danscomp.com.

Some Haro's are decent, but Backtrails are long gone. Maybe check around your local shops and see what they have?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/13/2016 3:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2016 3:37 PM

hotshod wrote:

I have a hard time justifying a new bike. I dont know how often i will even be able to ride or il nvr race or compete its just ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

Racing and freestyle have gone very separate ways over the years. Freestyle bikes are usually Hi Tensile steel or Chromoly ...more

Yea those are the types of things i was find8ng were backtrails or f3 i didnt know if they were worth a damn or not. Even new let alone now. And if not what brands are the kids ridin now adays i feel old haha
I wont know quality from junk anymore

|

6/13/2016 3:47 PM

hotshod wrote:

I just checked the Chicago craigslist page. I didn't see anything that I would buy from there.

Save up more money and buy a new complete in the correct size (21 inch top tube)

If you're not going to ride hard/often, a mid range complete will last if you take care of it. It will also be lighter than most anything you may find on craigslist.

|

6/13/2016 3:54 PM

hotshod wrote:

pnj wrote:

I just checked the Chicago craigslist page. I didn't see anything that I would buy from there.

Save up more money and buy a ...more

Thanks for lookin man thats awesome. I have money to buy a new bike just seems like a waste knowing i wont ride hard. So whats popular now? What are they riding in the freestyle at the x-games haha

|

6/13/2016 4:06 PM

hotshod wrote:

Look at Danscomp.com (or EmpireBMX, or Albes), they all sell modern/current brand bikes.

Today's bikes have steeper head tube angles, shorter back ends and most don't have brakes.

I would suggest a bike with a longer back end (14 or so inches) as it will be more stable.

The Fit Brian Foster complete isn't a bad bike.

Also, 22 inch wheels are becoming more popular. They're fun, you may want to check them out but I don't think anyone is making completes, yet.

|

6/13/2016 4:18 PM

hotshod wrote:

Oldguyjon wrote:

Get a 2-3 yr old complete off Kijiji. There are dozens of wacky brands out there now GT, Haro and the ones you knew are pretty ...more

this. a decent custom complete can be had for around $350 to $400

|

fawk, i'm old

6/13/2016 4:52 PM

hotshod wrote:

Oldguyjon wrote:

Get a 2-3 yr old complete off Kijiji. There are dozens of wacky brands out there now GT, Haro and the ones you knew are pretty ...more

bikerider86 wrote:

this. a decent custom complete can be had for around $350 to $400

How do i know whats decent and whats junk

|

6/13/2016 7:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2016 7:35 PM

hotshod wrote:

I have been relearning the newer BMX bikes and parts scene in the past year, since I last was "in" it in the 80's. Here is a summary of what I have learned. I plan to ride pretty much like you...some smaller standard type tricks, but nothing crazy. Hopefully it will help...

structure: full chromoly frame; fork; cranks and pedal axels if possible. You keep mentioning that you are going to jus t tool around or "take some sweet jumps"...if you are going to jump, you WILL NOT want a poorly structured bike...pay the extra money for as much Chromo as you can; also double walled rims for sure on the wheels, especially for the braking wheel if you are going to run brakes

prices (new):
- over $450 will be pretty a pretty sweet bike, and will most likely mean full Chromo and pretty decent parts
- $300-$450 would be what you are probably more shooting for; will find Chromoly front triangles (ST; TT; BT) aand forks with a Chromoly steering tube; parst will be less "cool", but usually workable
- under $300 - I would avoid. You will spend at least half as much repairing broken parts, or even replacing structural stuff right away.

when it comes down to it, you will get what you pay for...cutting corners will force you to just spend at least as much, if not more, than a better built, but higher priced bike from the start. If you spend more at the front, you will get more down the road - if nothing else - in resale value.

Brands:
My personal faves for completes ended up being: Verde; Kink; WeThePeople; Fit; Eastern. I am going with a Verde Luxe in the end later this summer

IT is ultimately up to you, but being pretty poor myself, I would rather INVEST in something that will last me a long time then continuously spend what seems like small amounts of money over and over. I lived out of my car for a couple of years so I know how to get the full use out of things...squeezing blood from a turnip as they used to say...

hope this helps

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

6/13/2016 7:44 PM

hotshod wrote:

sXeBMXer wrote:

I have been relearning the newer BMX bikes and parts scene in the past year, since I last was "in" it in the 80's. Here is a ...more

Outstanding! Thank you sir this is exactly what i was looking for. And now i understand what oldguyjon was saying with the brands. Haha i understand you get what you pay for. But what i was saying not riding hard or often i didnt think i needed the top of the line ya know. But youve helped alot thank you

|

6/13/2016 9:49 PM

So anyone on this thread have an opinion of the stolen sinner. Can get the 2015 for $360 seems like a decent price but is the bike decent out of the box. Im looking for reviews but no luck

|

6/13/2016 10:16 PM

If you wanna feel nostalgia get a Hoffman condor complete

|

6/14/2016 6:54 AM

hotshod wrote:

So anyone on this thread have an opinion of the stolen sinner. Can get the 2015 for $360 seems like a decent price but is the ...more

Get that sinner,it's the bike that made the stolen brand popular. You'll have to be pretty good before you'll wish you had more bike than that. Good price, and shiny new is nice.

|

6/14/2016 6:55 AM

hotshod wrote:

So anyone on this thread have an opinion of the stolen sinner. Can get the 2015 for $360 seems like a decent price but is the ...more

oldguyjon2 wrote:

Get that sinner,it's the bike that made the stolen brand popular. You'll have to be pretty good before you'll wish you had ...more

Yes I lost my account already. Welcome account #2!

|

6/14/2016 9:28 AM

eskimojay wrote:

If you wanna feel nostalgia get a Hoffman condor complete

O man matt hoffman yea memories haha. Ok so seems like the condor is a little higher, like 40 or 50$ is one better than the other?

|

6/14/2016 10:16 AM

The 2016 completes are going to be on sale pretty soon as the 2017s start coming out.

I like Fit and Sunday completes.

|

6/14/2016 10:51 AM

tecnic1 wrote:

The 2016 completes are going to be on sale pretty soon as the 2017s start coming out.

Got the bug now! Whos got time to be financially responsible and wait! Im tryin to act like a kid now! Haha how long you think? And does that mean 2015s will go down more yet

|

6/14/2016 11:00 AM

hotshod wrote:

Outstanding! Thank you sir this is exactly what i was looking for. And now i understand what oldguyjon was saying with the ...more

No problem. I love the process of looking and researching. I have tons of lists and spreadsheets that I made up so it is easy to look things up.

Don't forget to get a helmet...other than a full Chromo frame, the helmet is the most important thing

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

6/14/2016 11:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/14/2016 11:01 AM

tecnic1 wrote:

hotshod wrote:

Got the bug now! Whos got time to be financially responsible and wait! Im tryin to act like a kid now! Haha how long you ...more

It's very likely they will go down in price as well, I don't think there is much of a difference between 2015-2017 models just colors and whatnot is different.

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!