Not landing right

Related:
Create New Tag

9/24/2016 10:35 AM

I slip every stem I get, Im landing wrong ig, is tire pressure better for gaps or lower pressure. I listened to my friend lowered my pressure just spent 300+ on gpsort rims and spokes and the rims had a very bad flat spot after this 10+ foot drop I did, what I'm trying to get to is every stem I get which I always always ridden topload, they either slip or I break the stem. I had my friends tighten it the way they so it and I've done it no matter what it slips, I've tried many stems. I've don't a gap on my bike my bars would slip try it on my friends his didn't slip. I have tried a. Front load I like. It gives me more pop, do you think a front load is less. Likely to slip? Ive just had problems with slipping bars my whole time of riding, I would literally mkbe my bars back to the way I like them 4-7 times a day. And I just bought new bars and stem idk hahah

|

9/24/2016 12:20 PM

Sounds to me like you're over tightening the bolts, and crushing the bars. Or you're not tightening them enough and damaging the surface where the bars and stem come into contact when it slips the first few times. If you're doing big drops, learning to land properly will help a ton. You need to go fast, and land back wheel first. Use your knees to help absorb the impact and keep your weight central.
I crushed the bars on the first bike I ever had and they slipped all the time. I've never once had bars slip since then (that was in 94)

|

9/24/2016 1:06 PM

What may help is trying to shave off the paint on the inside of the stem where the bar sits.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

9/24/2016 2:09 PM

readybmxer wrote:

What may help is trying to shave off the paint on the inside of the stem where the bar sits.

This. Also, as stated above, don't over tighten, and if you're doing big gaps make sure to have high tire pressure ( I assume you are riding low pressure, I had to decode your post a bit).

|

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it, is there a chance it will kill a squirrel?

9/26/2016 6:15 AM

Well I ride 70 psi and I lowered them trying friends advice and that fucked my 2 week old gsport rollcages what a water of money but, I'll try your guys advice!

|

9/26/2016 10:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/26/2016 11:02 AM

I run 80 PSI and weigh like 250, but I don't do big drops anymore.

As to the stem, one thing you could try is to remove paint in the clamping area, THEN CAREFULLY use a box cutter and CUT AWAY FROM YOURSELF to put small grooves in the stem clamping area. It gives the knurling on the bars something to grab into.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/26/2016 5:08 PM

Dave that sounds smart I'll try that!

|

9/26/2016 5:17 PM

I did it to the stem I am running back in 2006 or so and it still has not had bars move. Run like 4-5 sets of bars since then without issue. I did run a different stem for a couple years, but every stem I do run gets that treatment.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/27/2016 1:43 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I did it to the stem I am running back in 2006 or so and it still has not had bars move. Run like 4-5 sets of bars since then without issue. I did run a different stem for a couple years, but every stem I do run gets that treatment.

Damn, a 10 year stem? Must be solid as hell.

|

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it, is there a chance it will kill a squirrel?

9/27/2016 2:26 PM

Hey bro make sure that when you are tightening down your stem you take your time and tighten the bolts in an X-pattern to apply the pressure evenly. I was so eager to go and ride that I just made them tight and went out to ride and the bars moved on me... point is, take your time and do it right and you won't have to do it again. Also what dave said works well, but remember TAKE YOUR TIME! You will be happy you did. Hope this helped.

|

Fo' pegs or no pegs

9/28/2016 6:17 AM

Yes helps a lot man!!!!! Ima try the groove thing

|

9/28/2016 9:06 AM

I had the same problem about a year ago (not dropping that big though...holy crap) and someone here...I think it was Reyn, also suggested sanding down the area where dave suggested putting grooves to rough up the contact area a bit. That solved everything for me...also, landing back tire first is huge because that way the rim and your body are absorbing the initial impact, not your stem and bars....I have never dropped 10' (on purpose) but I know that landing back tire first helps me save everything...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

9/28/2016 9:25 AM

Make sure you clean the bars and stem eveytime after they slip, or they will more than likely slip again due to loose material between the bars and clamping area of the stem. (Ie shards of metal and paint)

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

9/28/2016 11:10 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

xXHawkXx wrote:

Damn, a 10 year stem? Must be solid as hell.

Original Shadow Top Load. I even use the gyro plate.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura