Not pushing anything here but....

Related:
Create New Tag

11/13/2017 5:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/13/2017 5:57 AM

.... I have been sorta watching Eastern's website to see how they are rolling out 2018 models. It seems they add a bike or two every few days & are now up to 5 models available. The Shovelhead is still a no-show thus far BUT I did notice the 2018 Traildigger comes with a full chromoly frame now! Not bad for a beginner bike for $369. Disclaimer.... the parts list is still on the lower end AND while the frame is full chromoly, the bars and forks are still hi-tens.

|

11/13/2017 11:04 AM

I noticed that too--new Traildigger looks great to me! I have a Mongoose Mode 900 that I've been planning on improving with some new parts. Seriously considering the Traildigger instead. Even with the steel bars and fork, it's only 25.5 pounds. Eventually replacing them with decent chromoly parts would probably make it even lighter.

|

11/13/2017 11:47 AM

Hey Mishin, I ordered the KINK whip and noticed its 26lbs and the fork and bars are fully chromoly, how is it possible that the trail digger is lighter with hi ten!?

|

11/13/2017 12:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/13/2017 12:46 PM

Manny Perez wrote:

Hey Mishin, I ordered the KINK whip and noticed its 26lbs and the fork and bars are fully chromoly, how is it possible that ...more

Probably comes down to parts or perhaps frame material thickness/design. I think the Traildigger comes with a one-piece seat/post which would acount for weight savings. It's possibly that Eastern felt the chances of that bike being REALLY beaten on enough to break things like the handlebars or forks with that particular customer was slim & took a change with those parts? IDK.

|

11/13/2017 2:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/13/2017 2:21 PM

Yea the high ten could be reaaaally thin and good chromoly will be a bit heavier if its thicker. Kink is made to get beat so welds and gussets etc should be beefier, remember that eastern started shaving shit and cutting holes in there frames and such to save weight. It also makes them a lot weaker in certain spots... My bike is 24 lbs who cares ride it. Really just look at the weight of the frame because all the different part configurations etc can vary greatly when assembled into a complete.

|

11/13/2017 2:29 PM

When I was young bikes weighted almost twice as much lol, so bikes today are like Christmas even if they weighed 30lbs, idk how we rode those heavy ass bikes back then

|

11/13/2017 4:11 PM

Manny Perez wrote:

When I was young bikes weighted almost twice as much lol, so bikes today are like Christmas even if they weighed 30lbs, idk ...more

Some of us like the heavy stuff.

|

11/13/2017 6:11 PM

I split my time between a midschool bike and a modern bike, so I like my modern bike to be as light as possible ha ha.

The Traildigger still strikes me as a decent complete with a good weight for the price, and something I’d be willing to upgrade down the road.

|

11/16/2017 11:25 AM

Update: Wow.... Eastern is really making a push. Either that or there's been a vast reduction in materials or production costs. The 2018 Eastern lineup will contain 6 full cr-mo framed bikes! A couple lower end bikes even come with full cr-mo forks! The 4 lower end have varying levels of parts & priced accordingly (hi-tens bars, 8-spline cranks, rotors, etc...).

|

11/16/2017 11:38 AM

So buy the Kink whip in gloss root beer is what you're saying right Mish... ? wink

|

11/16/2017 12:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/16/2017 12:36 PM

Well, I haven't seen what those other bikes look like but that trans root beer is slick. I don't know if any of the Eastern's will match that other than the Shovel (Trans gold... although it looks like the Shovel will only be available in black this year) or the Natural (Trans red). I am just stoked that there are other sub-$400 full cr-mo bikes to choose from.

On another note, I'm betting the Shovel is gonna go up in price by $10 (or more). Looking at their 2018 lineup, there's the Traildigger @ $369, the Talisman @ $379, the Nagas @ $389, & the Element @ $399 (the price point the Shovelhead was at $399 before they sold out. That was SUPPOSEDLY the "sale price" w/ a regular price of $459). So, I could see the Shovelhead price going up by AT LEAST $10 (but I'm thinking it would jump up to $350-$400).

|

11/16/2017 2:40 PM

They released the shovelhead, did anything change when it comes to parts? I like that all blacked out look

|

11/16/2017 2:45 PM

What's the difference between the 2018 element and 2018 shovelhead, looks like the same thing, different geometry?

|

11/16/2017 3:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/16/2017 3:30 PM

Parts and geometry. The element has cheaper parts. An 8 spline crank with pinch bolts as opposed to 48 spline, non-pinch bolt cranks on the shovel. The handlebars on the element are hi-tens vs. Chromoly on the shovel. The stem on the shovel is CNC'd. The shovel also comes with the 100psi squealer tires. The element is also smaller. And, I noticed that the shovel is back up to its "regular price" so...

|