Not sure what parts to get

Related:
Create New Tag

10/17/2017 4:50 PM

I have a Northrock MC2 BMX http://www.northrockbikes.com/specialty-mc2.php It is only partially chromoly. The rest of the components is both standard quality and low quality. I went ahead and already took off the kickstand, reflectors, guard, and such. The handle bars seem to be unusually short, I am basically hunched over when doing tricks and riding just to reach the handlebars. Also when sitting down my arms are angled downwards to reach the handlebars as well. How do I know what correct size bars to get for my length? Other parts of my bike has a bit of rust which is in the stem, and chain, I was thinking of replacing those but I'm unsure what to get.

I do plan on getting other things such as sealed bearings, spline sprocket, and better hubs. So I will be on a bit of a budget, basically I'm not looking for handlebars,stem, and chain to cost as much as a new bike.

|

10/17/2017 5:02 PM

You aren't going to be able to do any of those things with that bike. Keeep saving while you are riding, learning, and enjoying that one.

Send a pic of the bike as it's setup and give your height and maybe we can make a couple suggestions to make it more comfortable.

|

10/17/2017 5:15 PM

Heres a pic Photo

Also I am 5 foot 6 and maybe just a little bit more room to grow.

|

10/17/2017 5:33 PM

Please don't be offended by any of this - I actually want you to enjoy riding BMX.

1. Really the only time you are sitting is when you are resting.
2. Everyone is "hunched over" on a BMX to some degree.
3. The manufacturer gives zero specs on the bike so it's hard to say what might be worth upgrading.
4. The rise on the handle bars does look pretty low, but you aren't super tall.

The only thing I would do on that is maybe get a $20 set of bars with an 8.5" rise off amazon. Other than that, seriously, beat it up, get comfortable riding, and save every penny for something else. Lots of people on here recomend the Mongoose Legion L100 for an entry level bike.

Hope that helps a little.

|

10/17/2017 5:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2017 5:48 PM

Look at the Mongoose Legion L100... full chromoly frame fork and bars also chromoly cranks it has double wall rims front and rear and it has sealed hubs all around (both hubs and bottom bracket) for only $250
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074L44VXV/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508287570&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=mongoose+legion+l100&dpPl=1&dpID=51g8cGIVlmL&ref=plSrch

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

10/17/2017 6:09 PM

I'll start saving for that, I haven't seen any bikes for sale that are full chromo around that price range.

How much do you think I should sell my current bmx bike for?

|

10/17/2017 6:33 PM

Gavin22 wrote:

I'll start saving for that, I haven't seen any bikes for sale that are full chromo around that price range.

How much do you ...more

I'm not sure how much to sell that bike for... maybe give it to a friend or something so you can have someone to ride with and maybe your friend will get into BMX and you can learn together....

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

10/17/2017 7:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2017 7:37 PM

Gavin22 wrote:

How much do you ...more

50 dollars...maybe 75 tops unless you sell to a younger riders dad. Maybe 100 if you can find one of those but that would be pushing it imo.

Like others have said, unless you plan on peicing a custom together part by part over a long period of time, Save up and get a better complete bike. Beat the hell out of that one and only replace things like tubes. Maybe even bypass the mongoose, I will say its pretty nice for the price and would probably serve you well for a while. But if you can save up another couple hundred after you get to the point of being able to purchase the mongoose, you can have yourself a real, real nice bike!

That being said, Here is my video review of the mongoose in question:

|

10/18/2017 9:39 AM

I have never heard of Northrock before...

but like many have said, save up for a better bike as you learn on this one...though, I don't know if Iwould be doing any kind of jumps or drops with that bike...might not last.

The Mongoose L100 is decent, but you could also save a bit more for a Hoffman 'Bama, Easern Shovelhead, or Colony Inception. Those bikes could become long time riders that would be worth putting better parts on as they break, or as foundations for more of a custom build...

depending on your age, and how you attain money, it could be a short time before you could aford those bikes. Personally, I would rather spend $400 once on a bike, than $100 4 times. The one time purchase is usually going to get you a better foundation to work with. And with the amount of repair and upkeep you have to do to a "cheap" bike, you end up spending more money than the bike is worth anyways. A better bike is more like an investment

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

10/18/2017 11:30 PM

Thanks for the advice, I'm looking for a new bike since I have around $300. I was looking for something used that has good parts and I came across this https://offerup.com/item/detail/361428629/?ref=Search

If I can drop the price down to $300 do you think it would be a good deal? Also would this bike last longer than the mongoose l100?

|

10/19/2017 7:27 AM

You can probably get him down to $250. Make sure that he didn't shave off all the brake mounts because it sounds like you're not quite at the point to go brakeless.

|

10/19/2017 7:34 AM

It looks like the posts are there if you look hard enough. I would be wary of the verde frame though, i think they have some lower end frames and the post doesnt specify what model frame it is.

I could say it was a sunday frame but even sunday makes completes with hiten steel.

Or it could simply be a no name frame with a verde sticker...be careful with ads like that, shady people.

|