Now it's just getting annoying

Related:
Create New Tag

4/21/2016 2:10 PM

Hey guys what's up. I'm just wondering what you guys would reccomend for me to do. I have odyssey thunderbolt cranks which are the best cranks in the world. They are approaching 5 years old and just this year the compression bolt has decided that it does not want to stay in the crank anymore. I put the bolt in as tight as possible and after about an hour of riding I can turn the bolt by hand and the cranks are loose. I can't think of any reason for this but I am wondering if you guys know of something for me to do to possibly fix this. It gets annoying because I have to tighten this bolt constantly now. The only thing I can think of doing is wrapping the threads in Teflon tape to keep it from rattling loose. I did this with a pair of pedals a few years back that wouldn't stay in the cranks. It's not ideal and I am hoping that one of you have a better idea. Thanks in advance

|

4/21/2016 2:26 PM

You could try a new wedge band thing. If they've been ridden loose at all you might have deformed the wedges slightly, or the crank arm itself. That would cause it to wobble itself loose

|

4/21/2016 2:28 PM

Lock tight, new bolt and spindle. Or you get just get new cranks, 5 years is kinda pushing it.

|

4/21/2016 3:14 PM

hit up odyssey 5 years is a long time for cranks. Ask them and see what they can do for you. If your are the original owner im sure they'd help you out

|

4/21/2016 3:58 PM

I will try to email odyssey and see what they say. Thanks for the help.

|

4/21/2016 5:23 PM

When did the problem start? Did you recently change anything down there, or did it just gradually start coming loose?

Could try the teflon tape. Or loctite. My bolt comes loose every now and then and I just loctite'd the bitch in and it stays tight for long periods of time now.

|

4/21/2016 5:57 PM

The problem just recently started and I haven't changed anything down there. I did switch to a merritt freecoaster but it also loosens with my shadow raptor and odyssey v3 cassette. It was no problem and than suddenly it was a problem. I can't even ride for an hour before it starts coming loose again.

|

4/21/2016 6:41 PM

Try the tape or a new bolt. The tape should fix it, i've done it on other things.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

4/21/2016 7:05 PM

Plumbers teflon tape is AMAZING. Saved my ace soooo many times.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/22/2016 1:20 AM

Yah it's happened with me too , I cranked that bitch down HARSH and it just stayed lol , but my Allan key flexed to shit when I did it , i jammed that shit in haha . If that doesn't happen , use locktite... I used some on my pedals and they came loose still though ... some people here will say use a specific one that's weaker so you can take them off but I'd say get the best one so you don't worry about it lol.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/22/2016 1:53 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Yah it's happened with me too , I cranked that bitch down HARSH and it just stayed lol , but my Allan key flexed to shit when I did it , i jammed that shit in haha . If that doesn't happen , use locktite... I used some on my pedals and they came loose still though ... some people here will say use a specific one that's weaker so you can take them off but I'd say get the best one so you don't worry about it lol.

Blue, so you don't need Hulk strength or heat.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/22/2016 1:59 PM

I just retired my profiles after 13 years of good solid use , switched to some 1664 good ol cranks and loving them, if I where you id save some and get new cranks , new cranks are always exciting to buy

|

4/23/2016 5:47 AM

Ya I think I am going to save up for some new cranks. I just took it apart to look what's up and the entire inside of the non drive crank and the cluster wedge thing are both really worn out. I'll just wait till the canadian dollar goes back up so I can get a new pair off danscomp. I can't buy it in canada because I called a localish bike shop and they wanted 400 dollars for a pair of odyssey thunderbolts. That is definitely not happening. That is like another car payment and some insurance. Lol

|

4/23/2016 5:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/23/2016 5:40 PM

Dude look into some 1664 cranks , 1664 is an Edmonton Canadian company and they sell cranks for a hell of a deal at www.bmxtransition.com give them a look at least

|

4/23/2016 5:41 PM

Photo

|

4/23/2016 6:06 PM

RIDEboarder wrote:

Ya I think I am going to save up for some new cranks. I just took it apart to look what's up and the entire inside of the non drive crank and the cluster wedge thing are both really worn out. I'll just wait till the canadian dollar goes back up so I can get a new pair off danscomp. I can't buy it in canada because I called a localish bike shop and they wanted 400 dollars for a pair of odyssey thunderbolts. That is definitely not happening. That is like another car payment and some insurance. Lol

That right there might be your problem. If the wedge is worn out then things probably aren't staying tight like they should. A new one might fix the problem, but it's hard to say. They're about $25 CAD, idk if that's the cause of the problem though but if it is, then it'd be worth it cause those cranks are solid.

|

4/24/2016 6:28 AM

eskimojay wrote: Photo

By the looks of it those cranks are 19mm only and my Odysseus are 22mm so they won't work in my bb without pressing in a new one. Thanks for the suggestion though but I will likely stay with my odyssey thunderbolts. I put the Teflon tape on the threads and even though they still wiggle around they did not come loose yesterday after riding for 3 hours. I will probably start saving up money for a new pair because mine honestly look like they have been through a few nuclear wars lol. I do crank slides a lot so it is probably not the greatest idea to run worn out cranks for too much longer but if they break than odyssey will warranty them. I don't really want to switch up cranks because every other crank I have ridden have felt less than solid and kind of felt like I was going to break them. I might look into other 2 peice cranks that are a similar strength to the Odyssey but only if they are way cheaper than my thunderbolts. My local bike shop says that the only crank they have never gotten back is the odyssey thunderbolts and we were actually discussing that we want to cut a pair open to see what was inside because nobody has ever broken them around where I live lol. Thanks everybody for the help and I will look at some differant cranks and probably ask on here about them if I find something I like. I need 2 peice cranks (I hate 3 peice) and 22mm spindle with bolt drive for my sproket.

|

4/24/2016 8:10 PM

Let's see pictures of your crank set up. Lol "nuclear war" How bad could they possibly be..?

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

4/25/2016 10:25 AM

Put some more washers on the compression bolt side

|

4/26/2016 9:50 AM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

Let's see pictures of your crank set up. Lol "nuclear war" How bad could they possibly be..?

Lol ya I might have been exaggerating a little bit but they are pretty beaten up.

|

4/26/2016 9:52 AM

BNC wrote:

Put some more washers on the compression bolt side

I emailed odyssey about it and they also said to do this but unfortunately it does not do anything. Adding more washers just makes the bolt grab by way less threads and that makes it kind of sketchy to use because I ride my cranks so tight so they don't spin when my feet leave the pedals.

|

4/26/2016 9:59 AM

Actually, doing the opposite might help, so the arm is as far on the axle as it can go.

If tightening your cranks tightens your bb, your bb spacer is too short. It shouldn't matter how much you tighten the cranks, it shouldn't affect whether they spin or not

|

4/26/2016 10:24 AM

Blue Loctite, if that doesn't work, replace the wedge.

|