Now that I'm not building a custom...

Related:
Create New Tag

3/9/2018 1:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/9/2018 1:51 PM

... I've been eyeballn' a lot of completes. Nearly pulled the trigger on a BF22 a half dozen times, but always bail at the last second. Now I find myself totally infatuated with the Kink Liberty. I've never paid much attention to Kink, and after selling my S&M/Profile bits, I admit I'm not thrilled about going Chinese. Sure looks like a lot of bike for the price, though ($449 before discount). How does Kink quality, fit and finish stand up?

|

3/9/2018 2:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/9/2018 2:30 PM

I get that it isn't a custom & all but it isn't junk. The quality of the name brand completes is getting pretty damn good. I wouldn't sweat it.

|

3/9/2018 2:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/9/2018 2:32 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I get that it isn't a custom & all but it isn't junk. The quality of the name brand completes is getting pretty damn good. ...more

Actually pretty impressed with the specs, and the bike looks nice online. Just curious as to how well Kinks hold up (not that my old six will be throwing it off a roof or anything). All the shops around here carry Fit and Sunday. Sunday's, even lower end, always look nice. Fit can be hit or miss. Wondering where the Kinks fit in.

|

3/9/2018 2:41 PM

I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about kink. But, full disclosure, I don't personally know anyone who has had one & I'd never ridden one. I know they are (were?) A rider owned company.

|

3/9/2018 4:44 PM

Kink offers some of the best quality bikes for their price ranges.

Most other bikes for the same price of the Liberty don't have nearly as nice of parts on them. The Liberty is really nice for its price. It has everything "necessary" to be considered a good BMX and then some! If it meets your budget & has specs that you like, I say pull the trigger!

Another company who's completes really impress me is WeThePeople. They deck their bikes out pretty well too, but I don't think their completes in the Kink Liberty's price range are as nice.

I'd recommend the WTP Zodiac as the #1 best-bang-for-your-buck complete bike in the $400-1000 price range at $750.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

3/9/2018 6:10 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Most other bikes for the same price of the Liberty don't ...more

It is pretty hard to find another complete that equals the Kink Liberty at that price range, at least on paper (and in my opinion). Sunday EX, for example, isn't even full chromo, two piece steerer and single walls for fifty bucks more than the Liberty. I like Sunday, but I'm disappointed in their 2018 line-up.

WTP definitely has some well sorted bikes, but you are correct that they can't compete with the Liberty in that price range. Not even close price-wise. Really like the Audio and the new race flavored Atlas, too, but both are too pricey for my current situation. And I keep getting drawn back to the twenty inch wheel as well.

In any case, need to make a decision. The light, and the warmth, are right around the corner.

|

3/9/2018 6:17 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

If you're gonna spend 750 then get a mothership frame and the stolen build kit. Boom instant custom

|

3/9/2018 6:24 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

gmunny375 wrote:

If you're gonna spend 750 then get a mothership frame and the stolen build kit. Boom instant custom

The parts that come in the kit aren't necessarily aftermarket quality. They're basically just mid-level complete parts, comparable to the parts that come on the Zodiac.

The Zodiac frame seems incredibly nice too, comparable in quality to most aftermarket frames.

I'd say for the price, the Zodiac is just as nice as a United Mothership + Build Kit, if not nicer.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

3/9/2018 6:24 PM

I don't think you could go wrong for the money George. DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

|

3/9/2018 7:35 PM

The BF22 is pretty nice now that the frame is 100% CroMo and comes in Trans Black. It would be my choice if I didn't already have a bike.

|

3/11/2018 7:26 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Furyus George wrote:

It is pretty hard to find another complete that equals the Kink Liberty at that price range, at least on paper (and in my ...more

How about Colony and Division bikes? Aren’t they pretty good quality? The Premise and Fortiz have all the specs we’re looking for. They’re about the same price and have everything the Liberty has, but a few other things to consider like the female front hub/axle and the press fit, non-pinch bolt type cranks. The Fortiz adds all 4 pegs and hub guards too. Also, I verified the Fortiz does have a 1-piece CNC steerer fork.
Premise $450 Shipped
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/us/en/colony-premise-bmx-bike-2018/rp-prod162159
Fortiz $495 Shipped
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/us/en/division-fortiz-bmx-bike-2018/rp-prod162201

|

3/12/2018 1:35 PM

STREETFIGHTER50 wrote:

How about Colony and Division bikes? Aren’t they pretty good quality? The Premise and Fortiz have all the specs we’re looking ...more

Appreciate the links, visited both. You're correct that both are smack dab in the range that includes the Liberty, and they seem like competent bikes as well. Personally, I find the Liberty much sexier, credit the extremely nice presentation on Kink's website. And the BF22 is still calling my name, too, as is the trans gold Shovelhead. I'm afraid the Colony/Division bikes are not in the running.

|

3/12/2018 2:58 PM

Yes I agree, Kink’s website and videos are making them even more attractive! Only reason I didn’t go with a Kink was the pinch-bolt cranks. I probably would never break em, but I’ve seen other brands snapped there. Plus I’m a heavy 225lbs too lol! For me, in the looks department the Trans Gold Shovelhead is the winner. I just love that color!

|