OFFICIAL BIKE SELECTION GUIDE FOR NEWBIES

Related:
Create New Tag

11/30/2016 3:34 PM

I am making this post to end all of the "best bike under 200$" topics. This is not just my suggestions, Please write your own choices as well.

OK, here we go...

0-200$ Mongoose mode 900 ($199). By far the best available option in this price range; features a Chromoly frame and most of the other parts are Chromoly too. Stay away from bikes with hi-ten frames as those are weaker and are made with cheap parts. Also stay away from all Mafia and Framed bikes

200-400$ Fit VH 1 ($399) This is Van Homans signature bike. It has a mostly Chromoly frame, Chromoly cranks, sealed bearing and very quality parts.

400-600$ Kink Liberty ($449) Full Chromoly everything. Great bike. Looks cool as well.
WTP Crysis ($599) I must say, everything WTP I have come across has been exceptional quality, same goes for this bike. Full Chromoly, and the other parts extremely good quality. I must say that this is a freecoaster. While I wouldn't recommend starting out with a freecoaster because it is harder, it is still a great bike if you can deal with that.

600$ and up BUILD YOUR OWN If you have the means to pay up to 1000 dollars for a custom bike, DO IT. It's what I did. The advantages to customizing on your own is that you can have the geometry fit your riding style, also you can have the bar height you like, crank size you like, and tire size you like. AND maybe the most important thing is that you can customize your look and colors to make your bike look exactly the way you want.
I would highly recommend getting advice on what to buy from someone who knows Bmx, and get them to check what you are buying before to make sure that all your parts are compatible with each other. Spend the most on a good frame, bars and forks as those are the bones of the bike, but make sure to save enough to get good quality parts for the rest of your bike. I recommend buying all of your parts off Dans comp. They have a HUGE selection of parts and you can usually get 15% off of 100+ which will save you a lot.

**PLEASE ADD YOUR OWN PICKS AND TIPS FOR GETTING YOUR FIRST BIKE**
P.S these are just opinions, there are no right or wrong opinions. Please refrain for dissing other people picks unless they are absolutely stupid.

|

"Jason Bourne, its Jesus Christ"

11/30/2016 3:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/30/2016 3:42 PM

FINALLY...someone stickied this topic.

I would add the Colony Endeavor because of the Full Chromo skeleton, as well as the Hoffman 'Bama. The hoffman is also full Chromo skeleton with so-so parts that can be replaced as they break. The mongoose Mode900 is alos a pretty killer deal b/c of the skeletal structure being what it is.

going to add my "guide" of what to look for in a BMX bike:

Things to look for in a quality BMX bike:
All of the "skeletal structure" that is going to bear weight should be full chromoly:
full frame -> front triangle(TT, DT, ST) AND seat stay and chainstay....full Chromoly
fork -> both the steering tube and the legs...full Chromoly
the handle bars ->full Chromoly
the crank arms and pedal axels ->full Chromoly

Rims should be double walled for sure
Sealed bearings in the hubs and bottom bracket

For me, these are the MOST important things to look for to give you the best return on your investment. Every thing after this is “eye candy” to me at least. The parts not listed are meant to wear down after time...tires, hubs, pedals, brake pads, chains etc...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

11/30/2016 3:46 PM

its not stickied, but IT WOULD BE GREAT IF IT WAS .... hint @moderators

|

11/30/2016 4:42 PM

chrisbmx24 wrote:

That would be great if it was stickied, then it could be updated every year when the newer models came out

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom

11/30/2016 4:45 PM

chrisbmx24 wrote:

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

That would be great if it was stickied, then it could be updated every year when the newer models came out

I asked a bunch of moderators and hopefully they will

|

11/30/2016 6:17 PM

That Eastern Traildigger on sale now for like $269 is also looking like a legit deal for a new bike

|

Frmrly BmxBos
Ref: Robinson79, aaron.samuel.green

11/30/2016 11:31 PM

That dk x seems like a steal at $400

|

11/30/2016 11:43 PM

id also suggest checking out albes or empire for bike parts as you can get some purdy deals there as well.

id also clairify that this is for new bikes... considering you can get major steals from craigslist pinkbike or ebay

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

12/1/2016 12:00 AM

Kids are still gonna come on the main forum pages and say the color way on a hi-tensile frame is way sicker than some decent chromoly bike and ask for our opinions on which to get. And after we all tell him the obvious answer he'll call us pussies and go for the shitty bike. I guarantee it.

|

Smoke Drink Die

12/1/2016 2:15 AM

Colonydirt94 wrote:

Kids are still gonna come on the main forum pages and say the color way on a hi-tensile frame is way sicker than some decent ...more

i mean i was with ya up until the pussys thing. ive totally seen people say theyd like the other bike better based on color and whatnot. but never start shit over it lol

|

sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"

12/1/2016 5:01 AM

Happened the other night on here, that's why I bring it up haha

|

Smoke Drink Die

12/1/2016 7:08 AM

Was more funny than anything. Doesn't effect us at all.

|

12/1/2016 7:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/1/2016 7:15 AM

Could you really build a full custom bike at the $600 mark? Maybe you get better deals on parts in your country. I had a look on a currency converter and think I would struggle to build a full bike for the equivalent of $600 USD using new parts. The frame alone could easily use up more than half of that.

|

12/1/2016 7:50 AM

Beamex wrote:

Could you really build a full custom bike at the $600 mark? Maybe you get better deals on parts in your country. I had a look ...more

Realistically, its closer to $800. 300$ for frame, 75$ forks, 45$ bars, 100$ rear wheel, 60$ front wheel, 60$ cranks. 60$ stem 20$ bb kit, 50$ seat and seatpost, and the rest are like 10-20$ each. that is closer to 800-850 range. but for 600 you can build most of it.

|

12/1/2016 8:26 AM

Buying used shit is cool too. Bmx museum has a ton of used stuff. Odyssey forks for $50 cant go wrong with that lifetime waranty

|

12/1/2016 9:21 AM

I don't think this will keep newer registered members from creating another thread where we'll only direct them to one like this, should it become a sticky thread. But hey, maybe I could be wrong.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

12/1/2016 10:43 AM

readybmxer wrote:

I don't think this will keep newer registered members from creating another thread where we'll only direct them to one like ...more

The point isn't to get rid of all of those posts completely, just to have an easy place for them to find good info which will cut down on the amount of those types of posts

|

12/1/2016 12:18 PM

chrisbmx24 wrote:

The point isn't to get rid of all of those posts completely, just to have an easy place for them to find good info which will ...more

Yeah, I understand that, but have a look at the threads right now. Someone's asking about a new bike already.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

12/1/2016 6:27 PM

Most new members aren't even smart enough to read the "READ FIRST" thread, they just post whatever right away. So the problem with stickying it would be people would still just ask what bike they should get when there's a sticky directly above them.

Plus if we stickied every thread people said should be stickied, you'd have to scroll halfway down the page just to see new threads.

|

12/2/2016 2:17 AM

Colonydirt94 wrote:

Happened the other night on here, that's why I bring it up haha

haha no shit? thats fucked lol i honestly wouldnt have expected that. but then again i havent really been on this thing in a long time until recently. so i dont know how folks are on here anymore

|

12/2/2016 2:18 AM

Beamex wrote:

Could you really build a full custom bike at the $600 mark? Maybe you get better deals on parts in your country. I had a look ...more

you might be able to toss something together off of sale clarence and scratch n dent parts along with some coupons and whatnot... itd be tight but maybe doable

|

12/5/2016 4:30 AM

bump

|

12/5/2016 11:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/5/2016 11:11 AM

I built my bike from the ground up. Bought my Fiend frame and forks for a very decent price, bought a set of revenge industries wheels that are made by s&m that were $170 complete for front and rear and $100 on the 170mm stolen talon cranks that have actually been awesome! With the money I saved with that I built my entire bike for about $700 or so and was able to spec it to what I wanted and am very happy with it. I have a few high dollar parts on it like a tree sprocket and my entire brake setup is eclat. Way better than any complete I could have ever bought in my opinion

|