OX Platinum Tubing

Related:
Create New Tag

1/22/2014 12:32 PM

Okay, i saw Zach Gerber's bike check and it is mentioned in one of the quesitons they asked him. Apparently it is 30% stronger than 4130 Chromoly Steel? I found that interesting. That frame has no gussets and a person like Zach Gerber probably had gussets on a frame made out of Chromoly.

Does anyone think that this could become the new standard for BMX frames?
Is it lighter or the same?
What about the cost?? Will this cost much much more? A fully post weld heat treated frame costs from 360 to 400 dollars nowadays. Will this cost the same as a normal frame that isnt heat treated? What if it is heat treated?

I found this little artlcle site thing about OX Platinum tubing: http://www.henryjames.com/oxplat.html

This is Zach's bike check (it is a great interview btw and a beautiful bike!!): http://www.vitalbmx.com/features/Zack-Gerber-Bike-Check,4154

Zach is actually pretty close to where i live. haha neat.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

1/22/2014 12:50 PM

Standard uses OX platinum as well. Here's another article about OX platinum.

http://www.fbombikeco.com/what-is-ox-platinum/

|

1/22/2014 12:52 PM

I'd never heard of OX platinum tubing. I know my frame (el blanco loco) uses mugen tubing for the front triangle. I don't really know much about it, but it says it's 20% stronger than regular chromoly. I don't think mugen tubing is any lighter than 4130. It will be interesting to see what tubing becomes the new standard.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

1/22/2014 1:00 PM

Fondue wrote:

he's riding a standard according to the bike check

|

I don't support slut shaming, but I do support snake shaming you snaky bastard

1/22/2014 1:02 PM

I think that's just standards fancy name for their heat treating process like Odysseys 4130 thermal and s&m"s 4q baked but I'm not sure on that never rode a standard they sure look nice though

|

1/22/2014 1:03 PM

Fondue wrote:

hmuifulikefriedchicken wrote:

he's riding a standard according to the bike check

I didn't look at the bike check. Thanks for pointing that out.

|

1/22/2014 1:04 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

I'd never heard of OX platinum tubing. I know my frame (el blanco loco) uses mugen tubing for the front triangle. I don't really know much about it, but it says it's 20% stronger than regular chromoly. I don't think mugen tubing is any lighter than 4130. It will be interesting to see what tubing becomes the new standard.

Hmm yeah haha i think Mugen is a different manufacturing process for the steel. Does anyone care to put any info on Mugen on here?

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

1/22/2014 1:04 PM

eskimojay wrote:

I think that's just standards fancy name for their heat treating process like Odysseys 4130 thermal and s&m"s 4q baked but I'm not sure on that never rode a standard they sure look nice though

It's a proprietary alloy of US Steel Alliance. It's in the article I linked.

|

1/22/2014 1:06 PM

eskimojay wrote:

No according to the article it is a different way to manufacture the steel. Not heat treat it. You can heat treat Platinum OX tubing. You wouldnt heat treat already heat treated frame? Haha

|

1/22/2014 1:13 PM

Platinum? That sounds expensive.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

1/22/2014 3:10 PM

It's not new at all...

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

1/22/2014 3:26 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

It's not new at all...

I know it isnt new to all of us. To me it is new for sure. haha first i have ever heard of it and i think it is pretty cool.

|

1/22/2014 5:03 PM

Chromoly is fine for me. Hell , not even heat treated is still strong. Unless you're doing truckdrivers down 30 sets then I can see the idea but I'm pretty sure your frame will die from fatigue before the OX platinum breaks.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/22/2014 7:46 PM

Glad to see Zack's bike check has sparked some conversations!

|

1/22/2014 7:59 PM

I saw a few days ago that Standard had given him a frame. How bad ass is that!???!!! Really happy to see him getting some sweet parts!

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

1/22/2014 10:12 PM

Dang I've known about this since way back when I was still a teenager, crazy daily grind picks up zack Gerber and people go nuts and find out there are other bike companies besides cult hahahaha

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

1/23/2014 8:32 AM

A lot of the comments on here make it sound like it isn't Chromoly. It is Chromoly, just a high quality brand of Chromoly. And it doesn't have any Platinum content.

On a related note, does anyone know why next to no BMX parts use Reynolds Tubing? It is super common on Steel Road/Mountain Bike Frames. I'm pretty sure Specialized did/does use it on their BMX bikes but that's all that I know of.

|

1/23/2014 10:12 AM

BMX_Forever wrote:

A lot of the comments on here make it sound like it isn't Chromoly. It is Chromoly, just a high quality brand of Chromoly. And it doesn't have any Platinum content.

On a related note, does anyone know why next to no BMX parts use Reynolds Tubing? It is super common on Steel Road/Mountain Bike Frames. I'm pretty sure Specialized did/does use it on their BMX bikes but that's all that I know of.

My guess is that since most frames are made in China/Taiwan and so they use locally sourced materials (e.g. Sanko, Mugen, seamless Japanese, etc.) to save on costs.

|

1/23/2014 12:59 PM

BMX_Forever wrote:

Fondue wrote:

My guess is that since most frames are made in China/Taiwan and so they use locally sourced materials (e.g. Sanko, Mugen, seamless Japanese, etc.) to save on costs.

My thought too but Taiwanese Mountain/Road Frames sometimes use Reynolds I believe.

|