Obsessed with speed(Need help)

Related:
Create New Tag

7/16/2018 1:24 PM

I want to build a bike that will make me go as fast as possible both in a straight line(riding to work) and riding bowls. Can you all help me build the fastest bike possible? Only one condition, it HAS TO BE 33/9 or equivalent. Thank you.

|

7/16/2018 1:29 PM

Sheldon. wrote:

I want to build a bike that will make me go as fast as possible both in a straight line(riding to work) and riding bowls. Can ...more

You are probably going to have to find an older frame to run a sprocket that large.

Also have you ridden that large of a sprocket with a 9t?

|

7/16/2018 1:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/16/2018 1:33 PM

a bike is only as fast as the person on it..?

pedal faster?

I don't get the question.

a more stable bike will feel better at higher speeds but if you can't pedal it at a high rate of speed it won't be a fast bike..?

it ALWAYS comes down to the rider.

a person with more skills than another rider will be able to ride a give bike better than the person with less skills?

that being said..

longer frame.
longer rear end / wheel base.
mellower head tube angle
higher gearing
pedal yer balls off.

also , riding bowls has nothing to do with pedaling. you should not have to pedal at all in a bowl.

|

7/16/2018 1:59 PM

Sheldon. wrote:

I want to build a bike that will make me go as fast as possible both in a straight line(riding to work) and riding bowls. Can ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

You are probably going to have to find an older frame to run a sprocket that large.

Also have you ridden that large of a ...more

Yes, I'm currently running 33/9 on my Kink Titan

|

7/16/2018 2:03 PM

pnj wrote:

a bike is only as fast as the person on it..?

pedal faster?

I don't get the question.

a more stable bike will feel better ...more

Yeah I'm starting to think I'd have to be a weight weenie to achieve the speed I want while pedaling. That being said, I'm certain there are faster tires than what I'm running(TWW and GLH) but I'm not sure which

|

7/16/2018 2:44 PM

skinner tires, higher psi, less tread = faster.

|

7/16/2018 3:02 PM

pnj wrote:

This + the strength and endurance of the rider.

But also the weight and rotational weight of the bike.

I always race my (twin) brother up a very steep hill in our daily rides.
And everytime, even though I have a head start he catches up to me and ends up winning.
Now we are twins and have almost the same strength and endurance so I was always pissed about it.

Until one day when we switched bikes - his bike is 2-3 kg lighter than mine but has the same geometry and tire width.
The roles were reversed this time laughing

Long story short, weight matters too.

|

7/16/2018 3:20 PM

tioga powerblocks, 8t hub & 28-30t sprocket

|

7/16/2018 3:55 PM

Skinny tires are faster. Bigger wheels are faster too, 24in

|

It’s all bmx

7/16/2018 4:04 PM

This thread is turning 20" bikes into rocket science but I'll bite. If you wanna go faster than 33/9 get rid of 9t and go as big as possible on both cogs I.E. 47/12. Less energy wasted on a chain going around a tight radius.

|

7/16/2018 4:07 PM

As much as I love my 28t on my riding bike, I finnaly switched to a 25t on my transportation bike because it's just better on long straight lines and to pedal sit down on my girraffic seat post.
It depends how far is your work, and going fast in a bowl have nothing to do with pedaling.

|

7/16/2018 4:11 PM

Francky wrote:

As much as I love my 28t on my riding bike, I finnaly switched to a 25t on my transportation bike because it's just better on ...more

Unless you're riding a dam-sized bowl

|

7/16/2018 7:08 PM

strap a jet pack to your bike

|

7/16/2018 7:24 PM

pnj wrote:

More flexible/less stiff tires are supposed to be faster too. Look for 120 thread per inch count vs 60 thread per inch count. Lightest tubes you can find as well (Someone must make 20'' latex tubes for racing)? Of course you will puncture easier.

It also has to be said that bigger wheels are faster. Maybe look at a 22'' bike? There's full 24'' cruisers as well of course, but not sure you want to ride bowls with one.

|

7/16/2018 8:03 PM

I mean, I ridea 2.5s at anywhere from 50-60 psi and 28-9, 32mm offset forks, 13.5" chainstay, 11.5 bb height, so my frame is pretty stable and the 28-9 is pretty quick and not super hard on chains and drivers... and I can get going pretty quick, just takes a little more effort to keep going fast...

But some skinny ass tires at like 100 psi and a longer frame and longet offset fork and maybe 30-9, and you'll be like and rocket... while not straining your parts too bad...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

7/16/2018 9:13 PM

my guess is, the OP can go plenty fast on his current bike but lacks the ability to pedal his balls off.

add air to your tires. and try harder.

|

7/16/2018 9:28 PM

light rims (birdcages, sun envy) and profiles with ti spokes. rotational weight

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

7/17/2018 1:07 AM

pnj wrote:

my guess is, the OP can go plenty fast on his current bike but lacks the ability to pedal his balls off.

add air to your ...more

I can pedal, I just want to go even faster. Everyone here rides road bikes, I just want that speed but on a BMX bike.

|

7/17/2018 1:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2018 1:42 AM

The only way you'll keep up with a road bike is by getting a road bike. 700c wheels, 28 width, 100+ psi, 11 52 gearing, and a much better riding position, lycra (less wind resistance) etc, etc, ........
If you want to keep the same gearing, making it lighter is the only option, and smoother hubs might help a little (with a lower resistance cassette). Even then I don't think it will make that much difference. Taller, wider bars will give you more leverage, which might help a bit, it'll at least make it a bit easier to crank hard.

Embrace the fact you're on a bmx. Do bump jumps and manuals on your journey, and enjoy the ride.

|

7/17/2018 1:45 AM

pnj wrote:

SirCaseAlot wrote:

More flexible/less stiff tires are supposed to be faster too. Look for 120 thread per inch count vs 60 thread per inch count. ...more

Tubeless with some race rims

|

Hmmm

7/17/2018 2:26 AM

May I suggest Maxxis 1.95” Grifters.

And hey, just copy Ricky Veronick’s 13.44 LBS setup, only gonna cost a few thousand. smile

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

7/17/2018 6:38 AM

Longer rear end, narrower tires (maybe 2.1 at the widest) with smooth tread. Then it is up to you.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/17/2018 8:17 AM

Build a SM speedwagon frame all Race parts. It will be fine for bowls just get ready to break racer parts.

|

7/17/2018 10:16 AM

Sheldon. wrote:

I can pedal, I just want to go even faster. Everyone here rides road bikes, I just want that speed but on a BMX bike.

That's physically impossible. Like others have said, if you want a faster bike, you need it to be lighter and you need to pedal like a motherfucker.

But the sheer rolling resistance of even the skinniest BMX tire will dwarf that of any road bike tire.

Why not just buy a road bike? I have less than $700 invested in my single speed bike and it's fast as shit.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

7/17/2018 11:34 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

This thread is turning 20" bikes into rocket science but I'll bite. If you wanna go faster than 33/9 get rid of 9t and go as ...more

Make sure to watch the ratio though-if you hit 44/16 you essentially match the ratio of 25/9.

You could do 35/9 and end up almost the same as 47/12, but still get the slight weight and clearance savings with smaller gearing.

Personally I would start with the tires, smoother, narrower and more PSI. Then go for rotational weight like spokes and rims.

OR air up your tires and pedal harder. Look at what Kris Fox runs, and mimic it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura