Odd bottom bracket bearing issue...

Related:
Create New Tag

2/4/2018 9:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/4/2018 9:56 PM

I bought a used frame off of ebay for like 40 something dollars a while back. I wanted my sons bike to feel a bit more contemporary since he was riding around on the 19" oldschool frame with like a 70° headtube (exaggeration lol). Anyway, he loves the newer frame and all but I found out the hard way it had a spanish bottom bracket.

I was frustrated at first but ended up buying the bearings, no big deal, even though it was a pain to find them for a decent price and no local shops had them. I got them in, installed them and quickly found out the inner diameter is like a hair too small. I had to file down the damn spindle to getit to fit. I figured it was the spindle was out of spec since it was off a mongoose and they dont always use standardized sizes. I tried putting a different spindle in and experienced the same issue with the spindle not fitting past the splines.

Anyway my question is, does anybody have experience with spanish bb bearings? Do they have different inner diameters slightly, than say a mid? I wish I could find my micrometers so I could see how much of a difference they really are.

I dont want to end up buying another useless spanish bearing set and experience the same issue.

It is possible that the problem is just the mongoose spindles as I mentioned but I also dont want to buy another crankset since I have one Id like to use already if it just needs new bearings.

I will probably just pick up a newer used frame for cheap if it ends up I need new cranks. Probably be cheaper...lol

|

2/4/2018 10:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/4/2018 10:09 PM

Spanish only refers to the outer diameter. The inner diameter stays the same (19mm is still 19mm, 22mm is still 22mm.)

Sounds like defective/wrong bearings to me. What brand are they? I'd try to stick with well known BMX brands, though I know not many offer Spanish any more.

Also, do the BB cones fit on the spindle? That would deterrmine if it's faulty/wrong bearings or just a wrong BB/Spindle all together.

& have you tried putting a different 19mm crank spindle(other than Mongoose) in either the Spanish BB or the Mongoose one, to compare spindle size? Profile used to make 20mm cranks, I suppose it's possible that Mongoose is doing something similar? Or maybe they're even using American measurements instead of metric?

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/4/2018 10:10 PM

I've had a couple frames that used them and they've always worked fine. You can buy them on eBay for a decent price too and I'm pretty sure Dan's still sells them. What frame is it?

|

2/4/2018 10:17 PM

NateBrown62 wrote:

I've had a couple frames that used them and they've always worked fine. You can buy them on eBay for a decent price too and I'm pretty sure Dan's still sells them. What frame is it?

I actually have no idea. Didnt really care for the price. My son only rides his bike to and from school and occasionally to his friends houses. Just was looking for more modern geometry.

|

2/4/2018 10:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/4/2018 10:23 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Spanish only refers to the outer diameter. The inner diameter stays the same (19mm is still 19mm, 22mm is still 22mm.)

Sounds like defective/wrong bearings to me. What brand are they? I'd try to stick with well known BMX brands, though I know not many offer Spanish any more.

Also, do the BB cones fit on the spindle? That would deterrmine if it's faulty/wrong bearings or just a wrong BB/Spindle all together.

& have you tried putting a different 19mm crank spindle(other than Mongoose) in either the Spanish BB or the Mongoose one, to compare spindle size? Profile used to make 20mm cranks, I suppose it's possible that Mongoose is doing something similar? Or maybe they're even using American measurements instead of metric?

Ya, thats what I figured...

The wierd thing is the cranks fit all the other 19mm bottom bracket bearings I have. Just not these spanish ones...

Im gonna try one more spindle in the spanish bearings and if it doesnt fit I may just scrap the frame and give him one of my frames and grab another used one for cheap.

Actually, now that I think of it...i could probably just re-use the spindle that I have modified and pick up 2 used 8 spline arms...the only reason Im wanting to switch these arms out is because they are wrlded crooked and causing severe tight spots and making the sprocket wear irregularly.

|

2/5/2018 10:41 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

The wierd thing is the cranks fit all the other 19mm bottom bracket bearings I have. Just not these spanish ones...

Im gonna try one more spindle in the spanish bearings and if it doesnt fit I may just scrap the frame and give him one of my frames and grab another used one for cheap.

Actually, now that I think of it...i could probably just re-use the spindle that I have modified and pick up 2 used 8 spline arms...the only reason Im wanting to switch these arms out is because they are wrlded crooked and causing severe tight spots and making the sprocket wear irregularly.

Just buy a new Spanish bb. Flybikes used to use them and so did McNeil

|

2/5/2018 10:57 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

NateBrown62 wrote:

I found some new arms for 24.00 shipped on ebay. They are probably not heat treated or anything but as long as they are welded correctly I will be happy.

Thank you all for the input. Its cheaper to just reuse the spindle that works and buy these arms instead of paying like 30 bucks for the bearings.

|

2/5/2018 11:03 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

NateBrown62 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

I found some new arms for 24.00 shipped on ebay. They are probably not heat treated or anything but as long as they are welded correctly I will be happy.

Thank you all for the input. Its cheaper to just reuse the spindle that works and buy these arms instead of paying like 30 bucks for the bearings.

21 $Photo

|

2/5/2018 11:04 AM

Nevermind that's 22mm

|

2/5/2018 11:05 AM

Here's one Photo

|

2/5/2018 11:14 AM

There were some weird complete bike cranks that I had seen working in a shop that were 20MM. Wasn't super common, usually entry level stuff. That would cause your issue. Take the spindle to a shop and have them put a micrometer on it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/5/2018 11:31 AM

As Dave said. 20mm axles are fairly common on cheaper completes. Gusset make a bb for them iirc

|

2/5/2018 11:51 AM

NateBrown62 wrote:

Here's one Photo

Thats just the spacers. smile

But thank you!

|

2/5/2018 11:56 AM

NateBrown62 wrote:

Here's one Photo

Bulletpup wrote:

Thats just the spacers. smile

But thank you!

Guess I should look into stuff more haha

|

2/12/2018 5:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/12/2018 6:49 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

As Dave said. 20mm axles are fairly common on cheaper completes. Gusset make a bb for them iirc

Found my micrometers.

The mongoose spindle measured out to 19.01-19.03mm. On the parts where the bearings would sit and 18.84mm on the splined portions.

Anyone else have a micrometer to see what thier spindle measures?

Im about to take the bottom bracket bearing inner diameter measurements. I will update.

Update:

The damn bearing measures 18.98-19.01mm

There is the problem.

I hope the crank setup i just bought from rubio is in that lower range...

|