Odsy R32 vs S&M Pitchforks Xlt

Related:
Create New Tag

10/24/2018 6:28 AM

I am ordering forks this week. I’m looking for some input. Both forks would surely be strong enough for me but the current forks I have are showing serious droupout issues. I do a lot of double peg stalls, and Smith grinds and the dropouts are bent way out and up. So much so the tire isn’t centered between the fork legs anymore. Weight is important to me but most important is which fork is designed better for peg use. I’m a beginner/intermediate level rider who does a lot of peg stuff and I don’t want to bend up a 140$ pair of forks dropouts if I can help it.

To summarize between the two forks listed is one built better for grinding than the other?

|

10/24/2018 6:41 AM

I've ridden Odyssey forks for a long time. In fact, they're the only major part on my bike that isn't made by S&M.

I'd go with the R32 assuming the geometry is similar. If you break the R32 Odyssey will replace them.

|

10/24/2018 6:42 AM

Buy the sunday octave fork off ebay. Ypu can find them for like 80 bucks sometimes, full lifetime warranty. Same construction and process as the odyssey r32. Same offset too.

|

10/24/2018 6:46 AM

R32 all day er day

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

10/24/2018 6:59 AM

I have the pitchforks and fuckin love grinding. There are barely any marks on my dropouts or the bottom of the fork legs.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

10/24/2018 7:18 AM

I’ve rode a few s&m forks , they all kicked ass

|

10/24/2018 7:29 AM

Thanks for the quick replies fellas. Looks like I can’t go wrong either way.

|

10/24/2018 8:09 AM

I love both forks. I'd just go with the brand you like, they're both legit forks.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

10/24/2018 8:16 AM

I have both forks. S&M kinda feel more solid, but that being said Ive never had an issue with R32s and Odyssey does that lifetime warranty.

|

10/24/2018 9:18 AM

It was probably just a bad batch. But there were pictures of snapped dropouts on pitchfork xlt's all over the place for a while. I'm sure they're fine, but if I liked to use pegs a lot I'd go with odyssey for the warranty

|

10/24/2018 9:25 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

It was probably just a bad batch. But there were pictures of snapped dropouts on pitchfork xlt's all over the place for a while. I'm sure they're fine, but if I liked to use pegs a lot I'd go with odyssey for the warranty

"xlt's"

Well there's your problem

|

10/24/2018 9:41 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Super-Pawl wrote:

"xlt's"

Yeah if that's what I'm thinking it is, it may just be people ordering Pitchfork XLTs and not realizing they purchased a race part. S&M doesn't make it very obvious unless you get the part and read the fine print on the sticker. They are full 4130 chromoly, but they're not designed for street/park/dirt use.

The widemouth XLTs, are, however, for street and thats what I have and love.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

10/24/2018 10:10 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Super-Pawl wrote:

"xlt's"

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Yeah if that's what I'm thinking it is, it may just be people ordering Pitchfork XLTs and not realizing they purchased a race part. S&M doesn't make it very obvious unless you get the part and read the fine print on the sticker. They are full 4130 chromoly, but they're not designed for street/park/dirt use.

The widemouth XLTs, are, however, for street and thats what I have and love.

I think the Race forks are now labeled "Race XLT" etc...; if I recall correctly on their website.

|

10/24/2018 10:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/24/2018 10:17 AM

Ok here goes;

There’s the Pitchfork, the Pitchfork Xlt, the Pitchfork Widemouth, and the Pitchfork Race Xlt. The descriptions of them are very lacking.

And interestingly the weights for the Pitchfork and the Pitchfork XLT are exactly the same.

Also I don’t even see a Widemouth XLT listed.

|

10/24/2018 10:17 AM

Just checked ebay and all the cheap octave forks are gone...sorry about the misinformation.

|

10/24/2018 10:20 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Just checked ebay and all the cheap octave forks are gone...sorry about the misinformation.

I looked. Didn’t find them either. Thank you though BulletPup.

|

10/24/2018 10:26 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

Ok here goes;

There’s the Pitchfork, the Pitchfork Xlt, the Pitchfork Widemouth, and the Pitchfork Race Xlt. The descriptions of them are very lacking.

And interestingly the weights for the Pitchfork and the Pitchfork XLT are exactly the same.

Interesting (the bit about the weight). & yeah, I'd agree, the descriptions are lacking. I like that they tell you how they are made & with what, but a marketing blurb about their intended use would help clear up a lot of misunderstandings & mistakes.

|

10/24/2018 11:13 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Super-Pawl wrote:

"xlt's"

Xlt's are the new standard pitchforks. The race forks are called race xlt. I had a pair and they were fine so I'm not talking through personal experience. I don't like how the legs tapered so much though.

These are widemouths, which definitely aren't race forks

Also, the title of the thread states "xlt"

|

10/24/2018 11:14 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

Ok here goes;

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Interesting (the bit about the weight). & yeah, I'd agree, the descriptions are lacking. I like that they tell you how they are made & with what, but a marketing blurb about their intended use would help clear up a lot of misunderstandings & mistakes.

I wonder if it’s a typo on the sandm site?

|

10/24/2018 11:37 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

I am ordering forks this week. I’m looking for some input. Both forks would surely be strong enough for me but the current forks I have are showing serious droupout issues. I do a lot of double peg stalls, and Smith grinds and the dropouts are bent way out and up. So much so the tire isn’t centered between the fork legs anymore. Weight is important to me but most important is which fork is designed better for peg use. I’m a beginner/intermediate level rider who does a lot of peg stuff and I don’t want to bend up a 140$ pair of forks dropouts if I can help it.

To summarize between the two forks listed is one built better for grinding than the other?

I sheered a set of Pitch Forks at the steerer, yes that’s years ago but since...Odyssey

|

10/24/2018 11:55 AM

Animal street forks. Street/grinding is all they know.

|

10/24/2018 12:47 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Xlt's are the new standard pitchforks. The race forks are called race xlt. I had a pair and they were fine so I'm not talking through personal experience. I don't like how the legs tapered so much though.

Look at the rust though. I gather someone cracked a weld, payed no attention to it or didn't realize it, started rusting, one side let go and ripped the other dropout off in the process.

I've run both odyssey and s&m forks. 1 pair of r25's, 1 pair of directors and then 2 pairs of widemouth pitchforks. I never had a problem with any of them.

I'm on Animal Street forks at the moment, I dig them, a little on the heavier side but they should be tough as fuck and hey, lifetime warranty.

|

10/24/2018 5:02 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

yep friend did the same thing. another cracked them all the way around on older pitchforks but luckily caught it before they split this bad. Get the Odysseys

|

10/24/2018 5:08 PM

Ordered the R32’s and a new headset to go with them! Thanks gentlemen.

|

10/24/2018 6:41 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

"xlt's"

grumpySteve wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

yep friend did the same thing. another cracked them all the way around on older pitchforks but luckily caught it before they split this bad. Get the Odysseys

Damn you got lucky!!

Mine sheered off as I hit the ground on a 4ft drop! At the steerer so no escape

|

10/26/2018 5:13 PM

YESSSS!!! Just got home.

|

10/26/2018 5:36 PM

Nice choice. I like my F25.

|

10/26/2018 6:37 PM

Thanks! I’m really excited to run them. They are wayyy lighter than what I took off. Interestingly when I installed them I placed the lower headset bearing directly on the fork race. Is this correct? The lower headset bearing seems to sit further up into the frame’s head tube. Everything is smooth and tight so I’m guessing it’s correct. I didn’t use an included lower bearing race.

|

10/26/2018 8:21 PM

Yes. That fork has an integrated bearing race.

|

10/26/2018 8:29 PM

JPC wrote:

Nice choice. I like my F25.

Noice choice

|