Odyssey Antigram v2 driver issues

Related:
Create New Tag

12/23/2018 5:30 PM

Posting this to get to the bottom of a problem my friend is having...

his BRAND NEW, ridden 2 times, Antigram driver is acting up already. First off... The spiral retaining ring (see this photo if you're unfamiliar) popped out twice today, is this normal? I assume you can ride without that, as all it seems to do is prevent the core from sliding out when the driver is uninstalled, can anyone confirm or am I wrong? cause he could just take that out and "fix" that issue, assuming the second issue can be fixed too.

the second and bigger issue is the driver kept getting tight spots. Like at some points it would ghost pedal and the sound of the driver would be much quieter at certain points when back pedaling it. All the springs seemed fine when we had it apart looking at it but I'm not very familiar with them so I don't know what could be causing his issues. He's gonna email Odyssey obviously and see what they can do but does anyone have any insight?

|

12/23/2018 11:44 PM

My retaining spring popped off mine too. But it's been fine since I put it all back together. Did it definitely go back together with everything in the right order? It could be one of the delrin spacers has shit itself. It's an over complicated design! Photo
Going from right to left, the retaining spring and first delrin washer hold the core in place, the second delrin washer goes between the lip of the core and the bearings. The third delrin washer goes the other side of the bearings.
Out of curiosity, is it set up lhd or rhd?

|

12/24/2018 12:05 AM

yeah the one delrin washer has a slit in it like it broke, but would that be enough to cause his issue? He has it set up rhd, he didn’t touch it at all. he had them built up and rode twice, never apart aside from earlier today… that’s why it’s so odd. It definitely went back together properly though cause we followed that same guide

|

12/24/2018 12:21 AM

Weird. I think that washer is supposed to have a slit, so you can get it onto the core? Mine has the slit too. The retaining spring was pretty fiddly to get in place properly. Have you tried just taking it apart entirely, cleaning it all out, then putting it back together? It could be the delrin washer that's furthest in that's damaged?
A friend of mine had an antigram and destroyed a delrin washer every time he rode (4 times, then gave up with it). But he had his chain far too tight.
If mine falls apart again I'm going to try to replace the whole core with a polymer bushing

|

12/24/2018 12:44 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Weird. I think that washer is supposed to have a slit, so you can get it onto the core? Mine has the slit too. The retaining spring was pretty fiddly to get in place properly. Have you tried just taking it apart entirely, cleaning it all out, then putting it back together? It could be the delrin washer that's furthest in that's damaged?
A friend of mine had an antigram and destroyed a delrin washer every time he rode (4 times, then gave up with it). But he had his chain far too tight.
If mine falls apart again I'm going to try to replace the whole core with a polymer bushing

nah we didn’t have anything to clean & relube it. we put it back together, continued riding then he saw the retaining ring popped out again after his pedals kept moving around and stuff. It could be one of the other delrin washers though, I only really looked at the one so maybe. I’ll see what he says when he hears back from Odyssey.

seems so damn complicated, so many parts that could fail. I just feel bad cause like I said it’s brand new and never been messed with haha

|

12/24/2018 1:04 AM

It's too complicated for what it is. George French loves a roller bearing though! I'm sure they could've designed it without the delrin washers or retaining spring. Just tightening your wheel up properly could hold everything in place, like every other female hub on the market!

Hope he gets it sorted, as I said I haven't had any problems with mine since the first time the retaining spring popped off

|

12/24/2018 10:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2018 10:15 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

It's too complicated for what it is. George French loves a roller bearing though! I'm sure they could've designed it without the delrin washers or retaining spring. Just tightening your wheel up properly could hold everything in place, like every other female hub on the market!

Hope he gets it sorted, as I said I haven't had any problems with mine since the first time the retaining spring popped off

Yep, Odyssey/G-Sport's rear hubs tend to be quite overengineered. When everything is working correctly, they're probably the most solid hubs on the market, but if one of the many components has an issue, you end up with a shit ton of struggles like this or Tim's Clutch. That's one of the reasons why I chose the Tree cassette over a Ratchet or Antigram when building up my bike. It doesn't perform quite as nicely as a good Odyssey hub but is much simpler.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

12/24/2018 12:45 PM

mine keeps running like shit, i open it up and theres metal shavings everywhere. i clean out the metal shavings and it runs fine for another month or two and then goes back to running like shit till i clean out the metal shavings. its been like this for a year. im expecting catastrophic failure soon

|

wallride a bus everyday

12/24/2018 1:06 PM

buttmeate wrote:

mine keeps running like shit, i open it up and theres metal shavings everywhere. i clean out the metal shavings and it runs fine for another month or two and then goes back to running like shit till i clean out the metal shavings. its been like this for a year. im expecting catastrophic failure soon

That sounds like there's a bigger issue that you're not addressing, so you can't really blame the hub if it shits itself

|

12/24/2018 6:40 PM

so then who do i blame? hub trolls?

|

wallride a bus everyday

12/24/2018 11:38 PM

buttmeate wrote:

so then who do i blame? hub trolls?

You blame yourself for not fixing it properly, or getting it fixed. Ignoring it won't make it go away

|

12/25/2018 12:43 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

You blame yourself for not fixing it properly, or getting it fixed. Ignoring it won't make it go away

This sums it up pretty well. The metal shavings don't magically appear in there

|

12/25/2018 12:03 PM

grumpySteve... hmmmmm.. so it starts running like shit from stock and that is my fault? do all hubs arrive broken and it is up to the end user to 'fix it properly'?

|

wallride a bus everyday

12/25/2018 12:28 PM

buttmeate wrote:

grumpySteve... hmmmmm.. so it starts running like shit from stock and that is my fault? do all hubs arrive broken and it is up to the end user to 'fix it properly'?

Not Steve but I'll still chime in. No, hubs are not supposed to be broken out of the box and that is not your fault. What is your fault is that your hub is eating itself alive and you don't do anything about it. Having a broken hub is on the company, but keeping on riding the broken hub after you know it's broken is on you.

|

12/25/2018 1:11 PM

buttmeate wrote:

Rabbe wrote:

Not Steve but I'll still chime in. No, hubs are not supposed to be broken out of the box and that is not your fault. What is your fault is that your hub is eating itself alive and you don't do anything about it. Having a broken hub is on the company, but keeping on riding the broken hub after you know it's broken is on you.

Exactly this. Your hub should work properly, but you chose to keep using it even though it doesn't. That's on you.

|

12/25/2018 3:41 PM

buttmeate wrote:

Why are you disliking everyone's comments for simply telling you the reasoning? You ride the hub and metal shavings appear in there, there's clearly something wrong. You don't keep riding it, you don't clean it out and ignore it until it's time to clean it out again. You address the issue, you examine what's causing it if you're mechanically inclined enough or email/call Odyssey. Even if it started doing that from new, then there was obviously something wrong from the get go that you let go or never noticed, which just got worse overtime.

Go ahead and dislike this comment too, it's not gonna change the fact that you continue riding a hub that collects metal shavings in the driver and needs cleaned out from time to time and wonder who to blame for it riding like shit.

|

1/5/2019 10:37 PM

i thumbs downed all of you

|

wallride a bus everyday

1/5/2019 10:47 PM

buttmeate wrote:

oh I’m so offended I might just not masturbate now

also update: he got a new driver from Odyssey, he talked with them quite a bit and they determined something was up with the pawls cause they had too much wiggle room… doesn’t really explain the spiral ring popping off like that though but I guess maybe it could wiggle itself off? not sure. But I rode with him last night and it was fine and he said it even felt much better.

see what happens when you address issues, buttmeate? they get solved

|

1/6/2019 12:28 AM

buttmeate wrote:

Ultimate badass. Wish I was as cool as you......

|

1/7/2019 5:28 AM

I had the same problem with mine..it would stay it most of the time though..chain line is pretty important with those also

|

1/7/2019 7:34 AM

buttmeate wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Why are you disliking everyone's comments for simply telling you the reasoning? You ride the hub and metal shavings appear in there, there's clearly something wrong. You don't keep riding it, you don't clean it out and ignore it until it's time to clean it out again. You address the issue, you examine what's causing it if you're mechanically inclined enough or email/call Odyssey. Even if it started doing that from new, then there was obviously something wrong from the get go that you let go or never noticed, which just got worse overtime.

Go ahead and dislike this comment too, it's not gonna change the fact that you continue riding a hub that collects metal shavings in the driver and needs cleaned out from time to time and wonder who to blame for it riding like shit.

I'd have to correct you. The hub isn't "collecting" metal shavings. That would be a problem but not as serious. IT is PRODUCING metal shavings. THAT is a much larger problem (& should be able to be tracked down relatively easy by examining the hub for witness marks.

There.... now I can get a thumbs down as well.

P.S. I think we should take away the anonymous feature to the "dislike" or take them away all together forcing someone who disagrees to man up & post.

|

1/7/2019 12:24 PM

buttmeate wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I'd have to correct you. The hub isn't "collecting" metal shavings. That would be a problem but not as serious. IT is PRODUCING metal shavings. THAT is a much larger problem (& should be able to be tracked down relatively easy by examining the hub for witness marks.

P.S. I think we should take away the anonymous feature to the "dislike" or take them away all together forcing someone who disagrees to man up & post.

I think they finally got rid of it for anonymous users! Way less downvotes.

|

1/7/2019 1:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/7/2019 2:11 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

I think they finally got rid of it for anonymous users! Way less downvotes.

Signed in users are still anonymous. What they are doing, is preventing voting by people who aren't signed in(to prevent people from going incognito and voting).

Edit:
They have not yet changed the voting system. Anonymous users can still vote.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/7/2019 1:54 PM

buttmeate wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Something inside the hub is causing metal shavings, which are then collected within the driver area smile

|