Odyssey Clutch V2

Related:
Create New Tag

2/25/2018 7:52 AM

So I'm looking at getting a coaster... and I really like the Clutch V2... I really like the external slack adjustment and how you can just grease the hub through that little hole as well... I'm looking at the Gsport Elite freecoaster wheel... so I'm sure the Odyssey Clutch V2 is an AMAZING hub... but I'd just like to hear some reviews as I haven't really seen much on it.... Thanks guys!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

2/25/2018 7:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/25/2018 8:00 AM

HardbmxTim runs one and he knows his stuff so it's probably good.
A freecoaster is something I want to try as well eventually but most likely not in the next 6 months.

|

Hmmm

2/25/2018 8:16 AM

Edman123 wrote:

A freecoaster is something I want to try as well eventually but most likely not in the next 6 months.

Yeah I thought of Tim when I thought about the Clutch as well lol... I'll just wait for him to reply lol

|

2/25/2018 8:20 AM

If either of you guys are LHD, I have an alienation Rush v2 that’s also externally adjustable for sale. It’s never been used and I can let it go for really cheap. I’m sure the Odyssey being newer is more attractive, but I have a brand new FC hub sitting around and the price of entry is low in case someone wants to try it and not be out the full price.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

2/25/2018 8:21 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

If either of you guys are LHD, I have an alienation Rush v2 that’s also externally adjustable for sale. It’s never been used and I can let it go for really cheap. I’m sure the Odyssey being newer is more attractive, but I have a brand new FC hub sitting around and the price of entry is low in case someone wants to try it and not be out the full price.

Yeah I remember your thread about the Alienation coaster... I'm looking for RHD... but thanks dude!

|

2/25/2018 10:31 AM

I run one . It’s good . I haven’t taken it apart since I’ve gotten it , and it’s rolling fine still . No wobble either , although someone I met had a V2 and said his had a slightly wobble . I think maybe he just didn’t know what he was doing , probably his cone nuts . Seemed kinda unsure on how to fix bikes , but figured I’d add that .

Only gripe I have is that when you land sideways or weird , that little silver band covering the hole always flies off the spot , and ends up in the middle of the hub or getting all crooked . You can probably bend it tighter , but it does get annoying . I’ve adjusted slack once and it didn’t seem to do much

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

2/25/2018 11:44 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I run one . It’s good . I haven’t taken it apart since I’ve gotten it , and it’s rolling fine still . No wobble either , although someone I met had a V2 and said his had a slightly wobble . I think maybe he just didn’t know what he was doing , probably his cone nuts . Seemed kinda unsure on how to fix bikes , but figured I’d add that .

Only gripe I have is that when you land sideways or weird , that little silver band covering the hole always flies off the spot , and ends up in the middle of the hub or getting all crooked . You can probably bend it tighter , but it does get annoying . I’ve adjusted slack once and it didn’t seem to do much

That would be a defect, you should contact Odyssey to see about a replacement band. Don't want any crap getting in there and damaging something

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/25/2018 11:49 AM

The slack is a pain to adjust anyway. . .but it's easier than opening the whole thing. The Clutch Engages/Coasts like a dream, I recommend it overall-I love going backwards but never really do any big drops/stairs, BUT the needle bearing has you covered. I think it's a great hub that has pedalled many miles forward to/from work and around L.A without skipping once so far.

|

2/25/2018 2:45 PM

Well... I may have just had my credit card out, and EmpireBMX open with a Gsport Elite freecoaster wheel in my cart, and I may have put my credit card info in, and possibly ordered a freecoaster wheel... ooops...

If you didn't sense my sarcasm, I just bought a Gsport Elite freecoaster wheel, Gsport Rollcage to Odyssey Clutch V2... so I got a freecoaster! Yay!

|

2/25/2018 3:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/25/2018 3:02 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Well... I may have just had my credit card out, and EmpireBMX open with a Gsport Elite freecoaster wheel in my cart, and I may have put my credit card info in, and possibly ordered a freecoaster wheel... ooops...

If you didn't sense my sarcasm, I just bought a Gsport Elite freecoaster wheel, Gsport Rollcage to Odyssey Clutch V2... so I got a freecoaster! Yay!

Congrats man you're one of us now. . .welcome to the world of high speed fakies! Oh and going Over the bars when you halfcab to fast? That's gone.

Let your Clutch break in for about a week or two, it'll start popping when you engage-you can throw some grease in the hub to help it break in faster, but it's better to run without greasing for at least a week. Mine came out-of-box with an exact 1/4th rotation of slack. I think you'll have tons of fun with a coaster!

|

2/25/2018 3:27 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Phunny93 wrote:

Congrats man you're one of us now. . .welcome to the world of high speed fakies! Oh and going Over the bars when you halfcab to fast? That's gone.

Let your Clutch break in for about a week or two, it'll start popping when you engage-you can throw some grease in the hub to help it break in faster, but it's better to run without greasing for at least a week. Mine came out-of-box with an exact 1/4th rotation of slack. I think you'll have tons of fun with a coaster!

Sweet dude I'm stoked! I still have trouble doing a halfcabs on a cassette, but that's mostly becasue I can't get my feet it the right spot when I roll out.... so I'm sure definitely in the first week I'll have halfcabs down...

|

2/25/2018 3:41 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Sweet dude I'm stoked! I still have trouble doing a halfcabs on a cassette, but that's mostly becasue I can't get my feet it the right spot when I roll out.... so I'm sure definitely in the first week I'll have halfcabs down...

If you can 180 well, you can half cab on a coaster. Just don't underestimate how different it'll be, there'll definitely be a bit of a learning curve. Welcome to the dark side man!

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/25/2018 3:53 PM

Phunny93 wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

If you can 180 well, you can half cab on a coaster. Just don't underestimate how different it'll be, there'll definitely be a bit of a learning curve. Welcome to the dark side man!

Oh so freecoasters are the dark side eh? I'm sure the halfcab won't be too hard.... I've been riding chainless and I can fakie longer and alot easier than on my cassette, really all I do is put my ass back and move my legs side to side to keep balance... just the first few times rolling out without pedal pressure feels weird, but its not that bad, it makes it more challenging, and it feels kinda fun too! I can't wait now!

|

2/25/2018 6:02 PM

Alright, well I was just thinking about it... I have Mobile One synthetic grease, and I was wondering, would this work for greasing the coaster? Or something else?

|

2/25/2018 10:21 PM

Cool deal Honda! Let us know how you progress with the coaster.

|

2/26/2018 7:08 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Alright, well I was just thinking about it... I have Mobile One synthetic grease, and I was wondering, would this work for greasing the coaster? Or something else?

If you can use it on bearings, it should be fine for the Hub- I used White Lightning Crystal Grease and I was scared it was too thick but once I let the hub spin I could see the grease Sliding past the adjustment Spacer and into the hub, and it's been rolling fine, no popping or ticking.

|

2/26/2018 7:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/26/2018 7:35 AM

Edman123 wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah I thought of Tim when I thought about the Clutch as well lol... I'll just wait for him to reply lol

I ran my first one for about a year of daily street riding. It is really nice & never failed me, but I do have a few complaints. I only went with it again for the 14mm female axle & because it goes with all the other Odyssey parts on my bike.

Pro's
14mm Female Axle, you simply can't find a stronger axle type
Engages smooth as butter
Perfectly crankflippable (learned doubles with mine)

Con's
I think the threads in the plastic slack adjuster stripped immediately in my first Clutch v2, as I was never able to unthread the grub screw to make for more slack (it just spun and did nothing.) I just got used to running less slack.

They say you can regrease it through that hole, but I personally prefer to clean out the old grease and grime before adding more to it, & this hub is NOT easy to disassemble/reassemble (there's c-clips holding the bearings in.)

& lastly, as Brayden said, the ring on the hubshell does NOT stay in place. It will spin off of the hole, or sometimes even pop out of its groove in the shell all together.

TLDR
This would, without a doubt, be the best coaster available if they got rid of the hole in the hubshell & made the slack mechanism out of aluminum or anything other than plastic. The thing is just way too over-built.

I still stand by it 100%, but it's certainly more of a hassle than most coasters.

If you're just looking for a simple coaster with a 14mm Female Axle, check out the Stranger Crux v2 Coaster.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/26/2018 7:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/26/2018 7:40 AM

Also, I plan on super-glueing the ring on my new one to the hubshell. I'm also going to remove the grub screw (max slack) and glue the slack mechanism together, as I've had a few friends who had issues with the teeth on the mechanism wearing out & causing issues.

Basically, I'm gonna simplify the hub a little bit with some super glue.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

2/26/2018 2:38 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I ran my first one for about a year of daily street riding. It is really nice & never failed me, but I do have a few complaints. I only went with it again for the 14mm female axle & because it goes with all the other Odyssey parts on my bike.

Pro's
Engages smooth as butter

Con's
I think the threads in the plastic slack adjuster stripped immediately in my first Clutch v2, as I was never able to unthread the grub screw to make for more slack (it just spun and did nothing.) I just got used to running less slack.

They say you can regrease it through that hole, but I personally prefer to clean out the old grease and grime before adding more to it, & this hub is NOT easy to disassemble/reassemble (there's c-clips holding the bearings in.)

& lastly, as Brayden said, the ring on the hubshell does NOT stay in place. It will spin off of the hole, or sometimes even pop out of its groove in the shell all together.

TLDR
This would, without a doubt, be the best coaster available if they got rid of the hole in the hubshell & made the slack mechanism out of aluminum or anything other than plastic. The thing is just way too over-built.

I still stand by it 100%, but it's certainly more of a hassle than most coasters.

If you're just looking for a simple coaster with a 14mm Female Axle, check out the Stranger Crux v2 Coaster.

Cool thanks Tim! Yeah that sucks about that ring thing that keeps moving... maybe I'll have to take it off and bend it in a little more... and with the hub being hard to take apart, I think I'll be fine I have this c clips in my old hub and I have the tool to remove the clip and everything, I'm not new to working on bikes, I'm locally known as the mechanic lmao But thanks again dude! I'm super stoked for it!

|

2/26/2018 2:54 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Pro's
Engages smooth as butter

Con's

TLDR

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Cool thanks Tim! Yeah that sucks about that ring thing that keeps moving... maybe I'll have to take it off and bend it in a little more... and with the hub being hard to take apart, I think I'll be fine I have this c clips in my old hub and I have the tool to remove the clip and everything, I'm not new to working on bikes, I'm locally known as the mechanic lmao But thanks again dude! I'm super stoked for it!

It's not really hard to disassemble, only in comparison to just about every other coaster haha I guess I could have clarified that

|

2/26/2018 3:06 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

It's not really hard to disassemble, only in comparison to just about every other coaster haha I guess I could have clarified that

With the right tools and the knowledge to use them, anything is an easy assembly/disassembly.

I would say to be extremely careful with that c-clip though, it's quite a bit stronger than most c-clips you'll find on bikes and it will take your eye out or fuck right off(it can go quite a distance) if you give it the chance.

Other than that, it's quite an easy hub to maintain.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

2/27/2018 12:52 PM

Edman123 wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Pro's
Engages smooth as butter

Con's

TLDR

I bought a max slack plastic piece for my clutch because the adjustable one snapped so I said screw it. I run max slack anyways so it worked out. It's laced to a 7ka rim so it's solid. I'm thinking of selling it though because it's rhd and I like my shadow coaster even though the raptor coaster has a small defect in the ones I've seen it's an easy fix and has worked great for 2 years with replacing the driver bearing twice a year

|

2/27/2018 1:06 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Pro's
Engages smooth as butter

Con's

TLDR

NateBrown62 wrote:

I bought a max slack plastic piece for my clutch because the adjustable one snapped so I said screw it. I run max slack anyways so it worked out. It's laced to a 7ka rim so it's solid. I'm thinking of selling it though because it's rhd and I like my shadow coaster even though the raptor coaster has a small defect in the ones I've seen it's an easy fix and has worked great for 2 years with replacing the driver bearing twice a year

They make those? Where can I get one? This is new info to me haha & sounds easier than super gluing.

& what defect are you referring to with the Raptor? I rode one for a little over a year and went through 2 driver bearings in it. Was a pretty good hub other than that though.

|

2/27/2018 2:00 PM

I ran a V2 all last summer with zero maintenance. The only problem I had, is I overtightend the alllen screw and it fell completely inside, and had to fish it out. It was my first free coaster so I wouldn’t know what to compare it to, but I love it

|

2/27/2018 2:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/27/2018 2:53 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Pro's
Engages smooth as butter

Con's

TLDR

NateBrown62 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

They make those? Where can I get one? This is new info to me haha & sounds easier than super gluing.

& what defect are you referring to with the Raptor? I rode one for a little over a year and went through 2 driver bearings in it. Was a pretty good hub other than that though.

Mine and my friends both had a problem with bearings getting smashed so it seemed the axles spacing was smaller than the hub spacing

Also full factory I think sells them. Just Google it and it should pop up

|

8/16/2019 8:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/16/2019 8:38 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Pro's
Engages smooth as butter

Con's

TLDR

NateBrown62 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I found it

About to get me one of these after reading about all the issues with the slack adjustment mechanism since i was planning on adding some slack to mine
|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

8/16/2019 8:39 AM

NateBrown62 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

OneGuyIlluminatiEye wrote: I found it

About to get me one of these after reading about all the issues with the slack adjustment mechanism since i was planning on adding some slack to mine

That would have been great to know a year and a half ago before Odyssey sent me some for free.🤦‍♂️🤣

|

8/17/2019 11:42 AM

I have one and really like it but it still pops when disengaging, even after 4 months of owning it. I've added extra grease through the adjustment hole but it didn't help.

I'm guessing I'll have to take it apart, clean it and regrease it. Just kind of annoying to have to do on a new hub

|

8/17/2019 11:47 AM

Da Biker Boy wrote:

I have one and really like it but it still pops when disengaging, even after 4 months of owning it. I've added extra grease through the adjustment hole but it didn't help.

I'm guessing I'll have to take it apart, clean it and regrease it. Just kind of annoying to have to do on a new hub

I actually really liked that pop with mine. You knew it was definitely disengaged, which was great for someone new to freecoasters and constantly worried about accidental engagements

|

8/17/2019 11:54 AM

.pegless. wrote:

I actually really liked that pop with mine. You knew it was definitely disengaged, which was great for someone new to freecoasters and constantly worried about accidental engagements

I could see that but To me the frequent popping makes my bike sound like there's something wrong with it. As if it were a broken down piece of shit and not the dialed & well-maintained machine that it is

i like my freecoaster bikes to float along silently

|