Odyssey Clutch V2 - sort of a review

Related:
Create New Tag

4/5/2017 8:48 PM

I have been riding the Clutch V1 since the fall it came out, and just got the V2 today. I haven't seen really any hype or promotion for the V2, but on a tip from another user I found out that a few mail orders had them, and as soon as they dropped at my favored one (Empire) I snagged one and had them lace it up for me.

First impressions:
-Still has the convenient external adjustment access like its predecessor.
-Nice full size 14mm bolts on BOTH sides unlike the staggered axle bolts of the V1 (one 14 the other 3/8 with a collar).
-No need to adjust slack out of the box like the V1.
-I definitely notice a distinct disengagement feeling and dull sound as compared to the V1.
-My biggest suprise came when I read these were "crank-flip ready". I can't crank flip yet, but giving them a flick with my hands with the bike on the ground for testing, those suckers fly! Leaps and bounds over the V1 Clutch!

I'll keep you all up to speed as I get to ride it more and learn the hub. But if you were at all turned off by the V1, then you should for sure grab the V2!

|

references: teachbmxcharlie (vital), you (globalflat), bhaverchuck (globalflat), diggerbrown (globalflat), johnu773 (globalflat), richiequamen (globalflat), DiabloM3 (globalflat), christianhethemurray (globalflat), ground2air (globalflat), hboost (globalflat), jsoh (globalflat)

4/5/2017 10:04 PM

I would like a v2 so I can learn how to crank flip but mine doesnt spin cuz I rawed the hub inside and out so it wobbles on the axle so in turn it does not crank flip well. I'd love a v2 just need to sell my current wheels and save some more money. Sucks when both of your hobbies are bmx and mtb cuz everything is so expensive lol

|

4/5/2017 10:22 PM

It would be super awesome to get one of these but i already got 4 hub at home and i use 2 of them... i cant sell them cause everybody is so cheap here and dont buy anything. I got the v1 what i really like expect the 3/8 bolt and its good for crankflips right away so if the v2 is better im so sold on that

|

4/5/2017 10:43 PM

My primo Freemix is rusted shut, so I can't get inside to grease the internals. When that one shits the bed I'll probably buy the Clutch V2. How much slack does it have out of the box? I like mine to have around a quarter crank of slack, maybe slightly less.

What are the minimum and maximum slack settings? If you've played around with yours, that is.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

4/5/2017 10:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2017 10:50 PM

I actually want one . The full female setup seems pretty solid , and to be honest V1 products throw me off after my shit experience with my Demo Rotator .

Only thing stopping me is the hub itself is 300$ alone here before shipping and taxes , where I can get a BSD Westcoaster wheel , with 2 plastic guards included for 335$ or something before taxes . It's a lot of money for a hub itself :/

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/6/2017 1:00 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I actually want one . The full female setup seems pretty solid , and to be honest V1 products throw me off after my shit experience with my Demo Rotator .

Only thing stopping me is the hub itself is 300$ alone here before shipping and taxes , where I can get a BSD Westcoaster wheel , with 2 plastic guards included for 335$ or something before taxes . It's a lot of money for a hub itself :/

Ye the price is definitely fucked...

|

4/6/2017 10:30 AM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

My primo Freemix is rusted shut, so I can't get inside to grease the internals. When that one shits the bed I'll probably buy the Clutch V2. How much slack does it have out of the box? I like mine to have around a quarter crank of slack, maybe slightly less.

What are the minimum and maximum slack settings? If you've played around with yours, that is.

Compared to the V1, I'd say it has less slack out of the box. I usually run my coasters with the least amount of slack possible (I ran all the washers I could in my KHE style coasters, and got the smallest slack ring possible on my Profile Z-Coaster), and this one so far meets my needs.

That being said, I haven't figured out the extremes of adjustment in it's capabilities yet.

|

references: teachbmxcharlie (vital), you (globalflat), bhaverchuck (globalflat), diggerbrown (globalflat), johnu773 (globalflat), richiequamen (globalflat), DiabloM3 (globalflat), christianhethemurray (globalflat), ground2air (globalflat), hboost (globalflat), jsoh (globalflat)

4/6/2017 4:52 PM

So when you disengaged , how noticeable was it ? That's something I think is off , like it should be smooth . I don't want to feel my hub pop everytime I pedal

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/6/2017 5:18 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

So when you disengaged , how noticeable was it ? That's something I think is off , like it should be smooth . I don't want to feel my hub pop everytime I pedal

It's normal wear-in, happens for a week or so with just about any new coaster. If you want rid of it quicker, regrease with a thick-ish grease.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/7/2017 9:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/8/2017 5:10 AM

A little bit off topic but i just got the idea to buy the v2 axle, driver, driver side bearings and a 14 bolt like that you can "mod" your v1 into a relative cheaper v2? Do you guys think it can be done? Would be cool its really a pain in the ass to sell secondhand hubs

|

4/7/2017 4:18 PM

coldmajki wrote:

A little bit off topic but i just got the idea to buy the v2 axle, driver, driver side bearings and a 14 bolt like that you can "mod" your v1 into a relative cheaper v2? Do you guys think it can be done? Would be cool its really a pain in the ass to sell secondhand hubs

I'm pretty sure the flanges are the same sizes but I asked OTX design and they said it's not do-able. I might get it eventually and try it though.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/8/2017 5:09 AM

coldmajki wrote:

A little bit off topic but i just got the idea to buy the v2 axle, driver, driver side bearings and a 14 bolt like that you can "mod" your v1 into a relative cheaper v2? Do you guys think it can be done? Would be cool its really a pain in the ass to sell secondhand hubs

p1p1092 wrote:

I'm pretty sure the flanges are the same sizes but I asked OTX design and they said it's not do-able. I might get it eventually and try it though.

Let me know how it worked out!

|

6/15/2017 8:35 AM

Thanks for reviewing the hub my friend just ordered this today

|

1/27/2020 2:50 AM

coldmajki wrote:

A little bit off topic but i just got the idea to buy the v2 axle, driver, driver side bearings and a 14 bolt like that you can "mod" your v1 into a relative cheaper v2? Do you guys think it can be done? Would be cool its really a pain in the ass to sell secondhand hubs

p1p1092 wrote:

I'm pretty sure the flanges are the same sizes but I asked OTX design and they said it's not do-able. I might get it eventually and try it though.

Yeah after taking my v2 apart and seeing how practically everything is the same as a v1 I don’t see how its not possible to convert a v1 into a v2

|

Testimony and apologies





I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.






instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit