Odyssey Clutch noises

Related:
Create New Tag

5/22/2017 4:27 PM

Ok so I'm not new to coasters at all. I've had 3 now and just got a clutch at the beginning of the year. It made the signature clunk for the first couple weeks than went away. Now almost 5 months later it's ma king this noise again. Not only that, but it engages and won't disengage. I've had it all apart and am comfor table with the workings of it and nothing appears to be wrong. I've greased it and that doesn't help at all. I have no idea what is up with this. Thanks in advance for the help.

|

5/22/2017 7:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/22/2017 9:04 PM

I've had the V1 and V2. They both made the same noise when I first started riding it. Almost like it kinda sticks when you stop pedaling and makes a click noise. After the first day I didn't remember hearing it any more. Rode my V1 for over a year with no problems. Now I have the V2 because I wanted a black rim instead. No problems. Also has way more slack. I havnt had any noises though. Maybe try playing around with the slack a little. Otherwise I don't know.

|

5/22/2017 7:47 PM

I would shoot Odyssey a message or find a contact for George French (sometimes he posts on here). He would be best suited to answer your question.

Make sure there is a decent amount of decent grease in it too.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/22/2017 9:23 PM

This is why I would probably never get a clutch even if it's supposed to be "the best coaster on the market broo".... I have no idea how to fix it.
If anything goes wrong with my regular khe style coaster, I know exactly what to do, and got many spare parts (from my first coaster) to fix it.

Sorry for not helping you there, just my two cents. And contact odyssey is probably the best thing to do.

|

5/23/2017 10:12 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I would shoot Odyssey a message or find a contact for George French (sometimes he posts on here). He would be best suited to ...more

I think I will have to do that. I just use auto wheel bearing grease because it seemed like a similar thickness to what was in it from the factory. The noise itself does not bother me, but when it locks up and wont disengage is kinda sketchy. I'm just lucky it hasn't done that going backwards yet. When I grease it, the noise goes away for about one to two sessions (I only ride for like a max of 2 hours a day because I'm too busy) but than it's back again.

|

5/23/2017 10:15 AM

Francky wrote:

This is why I would probably never get a clutch even if it's supposed to be "the best coaster on the market broo".... I have ...more

If you watch the videos George put out on it, it actually is very simple and no harder than a khe style hub. I hated the khe style because they broke so often. The length of time i have had this coaster (6 months) is longer than I have ever had a coaster before. My shadow raptor was constantly blowing every bearing imaginable and my final drive stripped out the clutch somehow. I never even had the final drive apart, it blew before I even got a chance to re grease it. (I grease most hubs about once a month) I'm going to see what odyssey has to say about it, Thanks.

|

5/23/2017 3:00 PM

How is the OG clutch ? Might grab a used one off a local here

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/23/2017 4:23 PM

Try thinning the grease just a little.

With my cassettes I have used a little wet chain lube mixed with park tool poly lube.

Sometimes I would use ceramic chain lube.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/24/2017 10:17 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

How is the OG clutch ? Might grab a used one off a local here

Apart from this little issue it has been great. Way smoother than any khe style coaster I have ever rode.

|