Odyssey G3 vs SST Oryg

Related:
Create New Tag

6/17/2014 8:26 AM

I'm looking to get a standard gyro setup just to get a feel for it and learn to get them dialed before I throw a bunch on money into it. It sucks I have to run the lower plate since my frame is so old, but I think I'm gonna get an upper plate for my Redneck.
Does anyone have a preference between the two? They both cost about the same and I'm sure I could get either of them working well, just wondering if there are any advantages or disadvantages between them.

|

6/17/2014 8:33 AM

Both are about the same honestly. Any reason you want to run a gyro? Do you barspin a lot or whip a lot?

I only ask because you could look into a linear straight cable and be able to spin them a couple times without issue, and it is a lot cheaper, lighter and works well. Plus if you like to pull brakes at all, easier to do. ALSO no removal of your upper headset cup. (I hope you have a standard headset if you are looking to get a lower plate setup)

What frame are you running?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/17/2014 8:50 AM

To be honest, I just like throwing barspins off of shit in manuals and on flat ground. My skills are pretty basic. I just hate getting it all wound up when I do decide to give them a throw.

I have a Volume Dinosaur (I'm thinking 02 but I don't know for sure I might email Volume with the serial number). It needs a lot of updating.

|

6/17/2014 9:10 AM

Theyre the exact same if im not mistaken. I'd just go with Odyssey because its Odyssey

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

6/17/2014 9:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/17/2014 9:58 AM

just keep in mind that setting up a "proper" dual cable gyro setup is a bit different from setting up a "standard" Y-joint one so you'll have to deal with that if and when you decide to upgrade. tho it's not quite as complicated as people say it is to be honest. besides that, gyros are awesome! (i run one haha)

|

You're never too old to have fun.

Bike
Summer riding

6/17/2014 9:59 AM

Ok, the reason I asked was to make sure you have press in headset cups, which you do. You will have to pop the top one out. to install the lower cup. As stated above, they are pretty much the same. You MIGHT need spacers to make sure cable pull is decent, AND make sure your fork has enough clearance to handle a gyro.

Volume Dinosaurs we a solid frame. I wish they still made them. I have a Volume Mexican at my mom's place.

Alternately try learning opposite barspins to unwind while riding?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/17/2014 4:15 PM

tr1x wrote:

just keep in mind that setting up a "proper" dual cable gyro setup is a bit different from setting up a "standard" Y-joint one ...more

I'd like to get a dual cable setup, I just wanted to get started with them the cheapest way and see if I really benefit from it before I start spending a bunch of d

|

6/17/2014 4:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/17/2014 4:20 PM

tr1x wrote:

just keep in mind that setting up a "proper" dual cable gyro setup is a bit different from setting up a "standard" Y-joint one ...more

*double post :/

|

6/17/2014 4:17 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Ok, the reason I asked was to make sure you have press in headset cups, which you do. You will have to pop the top one out. to ...more

I was out doing a bunch of yard work earlier and got to thinking about it and that crossed my mind, too. It made me wonder how I ever even got started doing them. It seems so weird to try opposite.

|

6/17/2014 4:57 PM

Joey Cash wrote:

I was out doing a bunch of yard work earlier and got to thinking about it and that crossed my mind, too. It made me wonder how ...more

I thought the same, but for me it was pretty simple, I did all kinds of stuff weirdly.

Barspins started with me throwing right handed/clockwise, then I realized I would have to spin opposite OR learn em the other way for 180 bars/trucks. So I figured em out counterclockwise/left hand throw.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/17/2014 7:26 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I thought the same, but for me it was pretty simple, I did all kinds of stuff weirdly.

Barspins started with me throwing ...more

Haha I didn't know it made a difference. Is it easier one way or another? I spin left.

|