Odyssey Keychain Broken Again

Related:
Create New Tag

8/18/2015 12:59 PM

I broke this chain twice now in the exact same way. On the master link, the stupid little pin shears! I'm sort of mad, the first time i thought 'okay maybe i smacked it hard' but i broke it at the skatepark and i haven't really put it under abnormal stress. Barely even pedaling since it's a big concrete bowl!

So i'm sort of upset with it and now I'm running a 6$ walmart chain since i'm all out of my master links. I don't want this to continue.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

8/18/2015 1:25 PM

Are tightening the pin too much?

|

8/18/2015 1:26 PM

I've snapped the master link a few months ago also... so did a few local people i know.. it seems to shear off the same way you described yours happening

|

Refs: ecuadevil, superstarDK ,Brian_Griffin ,howlerfbm,ScramHype,Ricked_Em,BMXPOSER

text me for a faster response 2016681770

8/18/2015 1:32 PM

I haven't even bought a newer name brand chain yet for exactly this reason, just run WalMart KMC full link chains still. I snap them so often that it's easier and cheaper to just carry an extra one and a chain breaker. Of course my dumbass didn't take an extra last week when I went to Cali and I ended up breaking my chain on the first run thru the local trails on the first day. I went to Vans skatepark in Orange the day after and had to ride the whole session chainless. I was the only person without one and felt like a scrub scootering it in front of all the people that were better than me, but I made that shit happen still and enjoyed it. I used to ride there almost every bmx night but haven't ridden there in years, so I wasn't about to let something as minor as a missing chain stop me! Lol. When I was leaving, one of the dudes that works there was like "damn that's badass, no one ever does that! Gimme some!" Shit was pretty funny

|

8/18/2015 1:38 PM

Damn dude my 1r8 has been on top of its game for like 5 years in a row.

I was thinking if getting a keychain too

|

8/18/2015 1:45 PM

-Havok- wrote:

I haven't even bought a newer name brand chain yet for exactly this reason, just run WalMart KMC full link chains still. I snap them so often that it's easier and cheaper to just carry an extra one and a chain breaker. Of course my dumbass didn't take an extra last week when I went to Cali and I ended up breaking my chain on the first run thru the local trails on the first day. I went to Vans skatepark in Orange the day after and had to ride the whole session chainless. I was the only person without one and felt like a scrub scootering it in front of all the people that were better than me, but I made that shit happen still and enjoyed it. I used to ride there almost every bmx night but haven't ridden there in years, so I wasn't about to let something as minor as a missing chain stop me! Lol. When I was leaving, one of the dudes that works there was like "damn that's badass, no one ever does that! Gimme some!" Shit was pretty funny

That's when you take off your sprocket and do some killer sideways BB grinds.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/18/2015 2:06 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

That's when you take off your sprocket and do some killer sideways BB grinds.

Was that sarcasm? Haha. I actually was thinking about taking it off for now until my broke ass replaces the chain, but I can't find the short spacer that came with my bb to make up the difference on the spindle. Lol. The scootering got me so tired tho. It literally took like 5x as much energy to do anything, especially stalling on quarters. And there was a guy there that was actually doing complete 90 sprocket grinds down ledges, but he was standing with on foot on the back wheel and the other on the back side pedal. Kinda like a one handed nac nac sprocket grind I guess is the best way to describe it. It was pretty bad ass tbh

|

8/18/2015 2:11 PM

Still haven't had a single problem in the 15 months I've had mine, with the exception of the master pins coming a bit loose every couple of weeks.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

8/18/2015 2:38 PM

Kmc 410h chain, I've broken lots of chains but never this one.

|

DIG!

8/18/2015 5:15 PM

I broke a master link pin. I replaced it with the spare and have been good so far.

I bought the spare masterlinks and keep them on my key chain with my spoke wrench.

|

8/18/2015 6:31 PM

Bobby397 wrote:

Kmc 410h chain, I've broken lots of chains but never this one.

This. Ten dollars too.

|

8/18/2015 6:59 PM

I have a mechanic hollow half link and I've never broken that and a lot of you guys wouldn't even wipe your ass with it, either I don't ride enough/ hard enough or 125 pounds of weight really ain't shit

|

8/18/2015 8:35 PM

My Fly tractor has been going strong for a whole year, never broken once.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

8/18/2015 8:57 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Thats how it was with my Kool Chain.

I'm probably gonna have to go back to a drop buster because i can't be fucking around with a chain that breaks so much. It was literally like a few weeks since the last one. I can't do that shit, i need my bike as reliable as possible.

I think this 410 from walmart should hold for a while, they usually don't blow until they are all stretched anyways.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

8/18/2015 11:44 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Fuck , I had one and that thing bent my pin in the chain breaker it was that strong . Too bad my bike got jacked.

Honestly never super hyped on the Keychain , always thought Shadow had the awesome expensive chain

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/18/2015 11:52 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Fuck , I had one and that thing bent my pin in the chain breaker it was that strong . Too bad my bike got jacked.

Honestly never super hyped on the Keychain , always thought Shadow had the awesome expensive chain

That's because you're a fucking idiot.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

8/19/2015 12:14 AM

http://www.connexchain.com/en/bike-chain.html

^ever try one of those ones?? Anyone?

|

8/19/2015 1:39 AM

Fuck weight, I'm going back to running a 3/16" chain laughing

|

8/19/2015 8:07 AM

-Havok- wrote:

I was honestly think about doingthe same thing!

A KMC 910 is the last chain you'll ever need to buy. i just dunno if it'll work on a 9 tooth driver.

|

8/19/2015 8:36 AM

-Havok- wrote:

why? they pretty much weigh the same as a 1/8" chain. does 1/16" less make the chain that much stronger?

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

8/19/2015 9:04 AM

Wish I Could Help You, M8. I Don't Know Much About Chains Since I Have Never Ran One.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

8/19/2015 10:09 AM

Stocksy wrote:

Wish I Could Help You, M8. I Don't Know Much About Chains Since I Have Never Ran One.

If You Want A Proper Chain M8 You Should Try A Shadow One!!!!!

|

8/19/2015 11:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/19/2015 11:24 AM

-Havok- wrote:

ticaleb wrote:

why? they pretty much weigh the same as a 1/8" chain. does 1/16" less make the chain that much stronger?

Haha. You do realize 3/16" chains are 415H dirtbike chains right? Alot of people used to run them in the early 00's when weight wasn't everyone's concern and we all just wanted the strongest stuff available. But then the weight weenies started crying about it a few years later and the trend quickly died out. I wish Profile would release a 25t or 27t BlackJack sprocket so I could run one again too. Shit would be sweeeeet! laughing

|

8/19/2015 11:29 AM

-Havok- wrote:

Haha. You do realize 3/16" chains are 415H dirtbike chains right? Alot of people used to run them in the early 00's when weight wasn't everyone's concern and we all just wanted the strongest stuff available. But then the weight weenies started crying about it a few years later and the trend quickly died out. I wish Profile would release a 25t or 27t BlackJack sprocket so I could run one again too. Shit would be sweeeeet! laughing

I knew none of the above. I realize now I totally misunderstood. I was thinking of 3/32" race chains instead of 3/16". that's why I was confused lol. never heard of 3/16" chains. now your post makes sense to me ha.

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

8/19/2015 11:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/19/2015 11:58 AM

ticaleb wrote:

I knew none of the above. I realize now I totally misunderstood. I was thinking of 3/32" race chains instead of 3/16". that's why I was confused lol. never heard of 3/16" chains. now your post makes sense to me ha.

Haha it's all good. They also made sprockets and freewheels in 3/16" as well, and still do as far as I know, even tho no one runs them except maybe old/mid school guys. That was what was considered "street" at the time because they were basically impossible to break, even slamming ledges/rails on 35+ pound bikes before grind guards were around. Damn I miss those days!

|

8/19/2015 12:47 PM

Photo

Thats a kmc 910 3/16 chain, an ACS fatboy 3/16 freewheel in back and a Hi-ten steel 44t chain wheel off of a stock redline smack. That chain wheel weighed A TON.

Total bike wieght 25.4 lbs
|

8/19/2015 1:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/19/2015 1:56 PM

-Havok- wrote:

Nwewinit wrote:

I was honestly think about doingthe same thing!

A KMC 910 is the last chain you'll ever need to buy. i just dunno if it'll work on a 9 tooth driver.

From what I've read, it should work because the actual link length is the same(1/2") as an 1/8" chain. There will be 1/16" of side to side play, that shouldn't make a difference on such a small contact area tbh, as long as you kept your chain tight. It wouldn't be that big of a problem on a hub where the driver is flat and wide, but newer sprockets may have a problem since the teeth are the widest part(usually). And especially if it has a guard built in at a tight tolerance like an Odyssey MDS for example, which is why I can't validate this completely. My 1/8" chain's master link already drags on the guard if I install it with the pin facing towards it, so I'm sure a chain with side plates twice as thick would have no chance. Lol. But I probably wouldn't try running one even on an 1/8" sprocket w/o a guard because that small difference may chew it up quickly once it starts running sideways even a little. And as far as I know, the smallest 3/16" sprocket made back then was 36t since almost everyone still had cs mounted brakes at the time and the actual brakeless trend didn't start until a few years later.

Well, my first post was kind of a joke, but after thinking about this and how much time I waste fixing shitty chains, I may actually consider this if I can find a smaller sprocket. Maybe Profile or someone will be willing to make me one if I give them a call and my credit card number? Lol. Another good thing is they don't stretch since they're made for the torque of a dirtbike motor, and the weight difference compared to running a regular chain with an aluminum drive side guard will be about the same as well, and I never thought of it like that til now. Guess we shall see! I think I may start building a dirt specific bike to try this on first tho

|

8/19/2015 3:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/19/2015 3:32 PM

Here's a good thread with comparison pics(page 4 specifically) for anyone that may not remember that era of bmx. Lol. Apparently I'm not the only one interested in this at the moment

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=5300186

|

8/19/2015 5:26 PM

-Havok- wrote:

Here's a good thread with comparison pics(page 4 specifically) for anyone that may not remember that era of bmx. Lol. Apparently I'm not the only one interested in this at the moment

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=5300186

That was pretty nostalgic. And I was thinking to myself "ahh the good ole dayz" UNTIL i gotto the part with the photos of the product catalogs... Then I had bad bikeshop flashback of trying to convince the shop dude to take my damn money and order me what I wanted.

90's bike shop's were the only place you can try and give a buisness money upfront, even more then the asking price, tell them you don't care if it take from today until eternity for the part to show up as long as I get it. And they'd still refuse to take yoy money and order parts.

I love the internet

Also,

I read somewhere on tge tree Tree bicycle website that they take custom part orders via E-mail "occasionally"

I wouldn't run 3/16" front and back just 3/16 in the back. Having 1/8" upfront helps with chain alignment. But I wouldn't run a 3/16 chain on 1/8 gears only. That chain would be dancing all over the place.

Trees 4130 sprocket is 3/32" to help aid chain alignment (I think they offset the teeth as well) 1/8" in back 1/8" chain 3/32" sprocket.

I was going to buy the tree instead of the kink astro but the 3/32" tooth width kind freaked me out a little bit. ( i wish I had bought it now) 1/8" front and back with a chromoly sprocket annihilated my 1/8" shadow interlock v2 chain, the bushings are junk, and the pins are bent.

|