Odyssey Lincoln Stem or crappy bars? (slipping)

Related:
Create New Tag

12/3/2014 6:36 PM

So I recently ordered a Fit Dugan 3 complete to just get back into the sport and have something to ride asap with plans on upgrading parts over time.

My bars started to slip a bit.. I figured it was because I am pretty big and I am using a lot of force (6'2'' 195lbs..). Like a dumbass, I stripped the stem bolts over tightening and most likely using the wrong size allen key (I now have a metric park tool lol) so I figured it was a good time to order a new stem and I went with the Odyssey Lincoln stem after seeing a bunch of reviews.

I really liked the idea of the simple wedge system and the clamp over the bars, but now my bars are still slipping, but now I am thinking (hoping) it's just the shitty stock handle bars? I got some sandpaper and roughed up my bars, got all the paint off the knurled area and they're still slipping a bit...

Then I started to think maybe the clamping system on the Lincoln stem isn't as good as the traditional 4 bolts? Or is it just the shitty stock handle bars?

I have Odyssey Lumberjack XL bars on the way so I'll know soon enough if it's just the stock bars..

I know the topic on bars slipping has been brought up a bunch of times, but hopefully bringing the Lincoln stem into the mix will create some good discussion...

|

12/3/2014 6:39 PM

stock bars suck and crush way too easily so it's 99% the stock bars
the stock stem will clamp it better because its easier for it to ovalize than the lincoln
but the lincoln will clamp better without crushing them

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

12/3/2014 6:42 PM

Make sure the stem and bars are clean, and tighten down that bitch in a cross pattern

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

12/3/2014 6:54 PM

Probably crushed the bars. The Lincoln tends to do that.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

12/3/2014 6:55 PM

MidWestBMX wrote:

Make sure the stem and bars are clean, and tighten down that bitch in a cross pattern

Well the Lincoln stem doesn't allow for the traditional cross pattern.. that's why I was kind of concerned, maybe it's the stem too?

Photo

And yes.. I made sure everything was clean.. I took sand paper to the bars, knurled area like I said... but I didn't want to rough up my stem just yet.. new bars arrive tomorrow.

|

12/3/2014 6:57 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

They seemed to be slipping before I got the Lincoln stem, which caused me to stupidly stripped the bolts on the stock stem and just ordered the Lincoln stem.. just because.. haha.

How do you tell if the bars are "crushed"?

|

12/3/2014 6:58 PM

12055 wrote:

They seemed to be slipping before I got the Lincoln stem, which caused me to stupidly stripped the bolts on the stock stem and ...more

Loosen the stem a bit and rotate the bars around. You'll know if they're crushed.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

12/3/2014 6:58 PM

MidWestBMX wrote:

Oh, forgot about that, definitely the bars then

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

12/3/2014 6:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/3/2014 7:00 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

12055 wrote:

They seemed to be slipping before I got the Lincoln stem, which caused me to stupidly stripped the bolts on the stock stem and ...more

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Loosen the stem a bit and rotate the bars around. You'll know if they're crushed.

I had the bars in my hands last night while taking sand paper to the knurled area.. it seemed very well rounded to me.. I don't think they're crushed.

|

12/3/2014 7:07 PM

all i know is that stock bars, especially fit ones tend to get crushed even with the oem stem a lot easier than other stock bars, but aftermarket bars will be a lot more resistant to that sort of thing

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

12/3/2014 7:10 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

all i know is that stock bars, especially fit ones tend to get crushed even with the oem stem a lot easier than other stock ...more

I hate to sound like such a newb but what determines if the bars are "crushed" is the knurled area like dented? Besides loosening the stem and moving them around, what are the other signs? I'd imagine them to dented in the knurled area if they were "crushed"??

|

12/3/2014 7:54 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

all i know is that stock bars, especially fit ones tend to get crushed even with the oem stem a lot easier than other stock ...more

12055 wrote:

I hate to sound like such a newb but what determines if the bars are "crushed" is the knurled area like dented? Besides ...more

if the knurling itself is crushed, and sometimes sanding it makes it worse
also it might be a bit dented or ovalized

|

12/3/2014 8:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/3/2014 9:05 PM

Take a dremel and slice a couple slots down your bars and stem. I always did that when I had stock bars or clamps to prevent slipping. 60% of the time it works everytime

|

Smoke Drink Die

12/3/2014 8:38 PM

Colonydirt94 wrote:

Take a dremel and slice a couple slots down your bars and stem. I always did that when I had stock bars or clamps to prevent ...more

no need to do that lol hes got lumberjacks on the way

|

12/4/2014 2:10 AM

All I know is I had the Tomahawk and it was fine except you had to tighten the faceplate just like the Eclat Nathan Williams stem, where one of the sides (top or bottom) has to be completely flush with the stem or the bars will slip if the faceplate is tightened like on a regular stem. My faceplant kept on getting loose because I didn't know and they'd move like half a mm every time I landed too hard. Ending up selling that thing and a near new Elementary V3 cause I just hate weird clamp design stems.. Traditional 6-bolt is the way to go. Also, try to go for solid bolts.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

12/4/2014 5:26 AM

If you really want you bars not to slip like ever you can take the stem and sand or power sand where you put your handlebars on the stem really well. You'll know your done where the part you've sanded is a sparkling silver. You can do that with your bars too, just sand down the part of your bars you put in your stem all the way around on till you see that sparkling silver. After that you should be set man.

|

Its a skatepark not a playground.

12/4/2014 9:58 AM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

All I know is I had the Tomahawk and it was fine except you had to tighten the faceplate just like the Eclat Nathan Williams ...more

I despise the elementary.

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

12/5/2014 11:48 AM

I ordered the Dugan 3 a couple of months ago. I had the same problem. I switched the stem to my old fit topload and it was fine. I would borrow a friends bars and see if they work

|

12/7/2014 9:51 PM

Seems like the new bars are working great so far!

|

12/7/2014 11:41 PM

I have the 2015 dugan sig complete and the same thing happened to me. My bars kept slipping so i sanded them a bit then they were still slipping so i would tighten it up a little bit more and then they would slip again. They were crushed a bit. Fit replaced them for me.

|