Odyssey Summit Stem - 45mm Rise

Related:
Create New Tag

4/17/2018 7:37 AM

Photo

What do you guys think of this? Who would ride it?

While I can't help but imagine how horrid this may look on a bike, it is more logical to use a taller stem as opposed to taller bars.

Not only does it save weight, but having shorter bars means less leverage, means they're less likely to slip.
|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

4/17/2018 7:40 AM

Holy fuck is that thing ugly! looks like odyssey is gonna start making 25.4 bars and stems.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

4/17/2018 7:41 AM

I see you follow Dustin Reece too lol

Photo

|

4/17/2018 7:42 AM

Why Would Anybody need this? what kind of tall short armed mother fucker needs something like this? it has to be a joke.

|

4/17/2018 7:44 AM

Phunny93 wrote:

Why Would Anybody need this? what kind of tall short armed mother fucker needs something like this? it has to be a joke.

If you read my OP, you'll see that this is a more logical alternative to massive bars, which are also ugly as can be.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

4/17/2018 7:46 AM

I think it's fucked. Do people really want to fuck up their style this badly that they think a 45mm stem is at all necessary? Perhaps it's to run a slammed stem with high rise but people WILL run spacers under this. Probably with 11" bars. What the hell.

|

4/17/2018 7:49 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote: Photo

What do you guys think of this? Who would ride it?

While I can't help but imagine how horrid this may look on a bike, it is ...more

I've pretty much always ran bars 8" to 9", and I've never had a slip, hell, my intrikats STILL had the paint on the bars when I installed it, and they have yet to have even moved. If you properly install them they shouldn't slip.
On the flip side, that stem is just weird, it actually makes me rethink my opinion on toploads.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/17/2018 7:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/17/2018 7:52 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

I think it's fucked. Do people really want to fuck up their style this badly that they think a 45mm stem is at all necessary? ...more

I'm sure plenty of people will use it with spacers & 10"+ bars, but that's on them. The same people probably already ride 11" bars and only care for fashion over function as it is anyways.

I'm personally considering this for my next stem, since I would be able to buy smaller bars with it, thus providing a better look (to me, I hate the look of ape hanger bars) as well as being less likely to slip.

That being said, I want to see it on a bike first to verify that it doesn't look worse than my 9.5" handlebars.

|

4/17/2018 7:55 AM

Someone should run it upside down. But jeez I dislike this thing so much, I can hardly watch even pros ride with their arms stretched out over these huge rises but I guess it just wan't enough.

|

4/17/2018 8:28 AM

I'd consider running it with my 8.5"s instead of switching to the 10" ones i have but alias I've already got two top loads and these 10" bars I'm 5,9 so I think I'll be good with the 10s a top load and no spacers laughing I think it would look weird but good depending on the color way

|

Ride your bike.

Eat your vegetables.

Stay off Twitter.

- TheDarkEnergist

The Whip

4/17/2018 8:40 AM

I guess this for all the t-rex's that have recently started riding?

|

4/17/2018 8:45 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I guess this for all the t-rex's that have recently started riding?

I was waiting for grumpySteve to show up! lol

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

4/17/2018 8:49 AM

God, it looks worst from behind!Photo

|

-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

4/17/2018 9:04 AM

It clearly is filling a gap in the stem area-otherwise they would not have made it.

I'll pass.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/17/2018 9:50 AM

Looks like a bent dick

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

4/17/2018 10:14 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Looks like a bent dick

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

|

-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

4/17/2018 10:16 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

I think it's fucked. Do people really want to fuck up their style this badly that they think a 45mm stem is at all necessary? ...more

It is definitely fucked. Any (topload) stem over 25 mm rise is goofy as hell and pointless in my opinion... Not only is it ugly, but I can imagine the steering on that would feel wonky as hell! Since it's a taller stem, it'll move your bar position (probably back) because it's so tall when it's paired with any headtube that has an average angle, it will lean back and give you less to work with when angling your bars.

Does anyone else get what I'm saying?

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom

4/17/2018 10:22 AM

Essentially what I'm trying to say, the taller the stem the taller the clamping area, so the point at which you can line up your bars with your forks has been raised so the clamping area will be closer to your knees.

But then again, you could just make the reach a bit father and forget all about what I just said.

Just my 2 cents.

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom

4/17/2018 10:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/17/2018 10:35 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Looks like a bent dick

Holy shit I read this and legit laughed my ass off!laughinglaughing

But seriously, in a way I like it, but 45mm is alot... it's looks pretty funky as well... I'd like to try it just cuz, but still, it's pretty damn ugly, especually from the back....

I'll stick with my Fit Hi-Top V2...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

4/17/2018 11:02 AM

Its funny that a few years ago this was the in thing

Photo

|

4/17/2018 11:39 AM

Friggin' Odyssey, always unpredictable and putting smiles on faces. I think they just did this cause they could, and the company has that respect where it is safe to say they have been around so long they are a setting stone. Surely other companies see this and are brain storming a way to copy it as soon as it flys off the shelves... Sorta like S&M bikes with there Elevenz handlebars, 11"rise is off the charts but they did it because they could but even 6'5 riders stick with 10" bars or even less it seems. So like anything in bmx, personal preference kicks in but I mean this stem just makes me laugh. I would try it out for fun but I wouldn't buy one, although I have been considering a top load stem for a while but something 25 rise or less should be plenty lol.

|

4/17/2018 11:42 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Photo

Have you rode this Fit DL stem? I remember they had 2 versions like this one and the down low regular that was just a normal front load stem without the drop.. anyone ever try running it upside down? It seems if you did your handlebars would look Chicago as all get out no matter what angle the bars are lol.

|

4/17/2018 11:43 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Photo

grin grin grin grin I had that stem years ago with a shit ton of spacers and ten inch bars I thought and still do think it looks dope in black I didn't like that downward angle tho laughing my buddy is trying to sell it back to me too
|

Ride your bike.

Eat your vegetables.

Stay off Twitter.

- TheDarkEnergist

The Whip

4/17/2018 11:47 AM

Shredkink9 wrote:

Have you rode this Fit DL stem? I remember they had 2 versions like this one and the down low regular that was just a normal ...more

I tried when I had it lol only cause I at first I wasn't sure if it was on right or not grin

|

Ride your bike.

Eat your vegetables.

Stay off Twitter.

- TheDarkEnergist

The Whip

4/17/2018 12:53 PM

I can see this becoming used in flatland, but not much elsewhere.

I don’t hate it at all, seems pretty cool, but I’d never run it.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

4/17/2018 1:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/17/2018 1:59 PM

Why not increase the stack height instead, so we can have less spacers?

My Enduro stem has a stack height of 31.5mm and I use a 10mm spacer. I'd rather have a stem that has a 41.5mm stack height, so I don't have to use spacers vs. one with a 45mm rise...

|

4/17/2018 4:04 PM

Shredkink9 wrote:

Have you rode this Fit DL stem? I remember they had 2 versions like this one and the down low regular that was just a normal ...more

I had a friend who flipped his cause he wanted more rise. that was a long time ago so I don't remember much besides it looking a little funny

jesus fuck that thing is ugly though. I misread the title as 45mm reach and was like oh guess they're making a shorter stem... nope.

|

4/17/2018 6:34 PM

I was going to say I don’t like it , but to be fair it isn’t horrible . I wouldn’t buy it personally . People should stick to buying bigger bars , and worry less about stems . They start to get tricky and change a bunch up . I think a bike with a frontload and big bars will always look the best .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/17/2018 7:27 PM

What the fuck is going on here?

|

4/17/2018 11:40 PM

Photo

|