Odyssey Thunderbolt cranks issue. My (temporary) sprocket is to thin for the built-in sprocket adapter on the crank

Related:
Create New Tag

6/29/2019 4:36 AM

My (temporary) sprocket is to thin for the built-in sprocket adapter on the crank. When I tighten the sprocket bolt down the other side of the sprocket wiggles, chain becomes loose because of this. I was wondering if the 'Subrosa Petal sprocket' would be thick enough for the adapter.

Ps. Sprocket fits diameter wise. It's doesn't fit thickness/width wise

Is this a common problem for beginner bike builders?

View Results

|

6/29/2019 4:45 AM

It's 'cause that sprocket is wank.

|

6/29/2019 4:59 AM

6mm is standard for an alloy sprocket. Your sprocket looks like it’s a cheap steel one from a cheap complete. Any alloy sprocket should fit fine with no problems

|

6/29/2019 8:47 AM

.pegless. wrote:

6mm is standard for an alloy sprocket. Your sprocket looks like it’s a cheap steel one from a cheap complete. Any alloy sprocket should fit fine with no problems

Thank you. You're spot on, it is a cheap sprocket because of bending my previous one. So I don't really have to worry about the thickness as long as it's a alloy sprocket?

|

6/29/2019 8:53 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Unicats wrote:

Thank you. You're spot on, it is a cheap sprocket because of bending my previous one. So I don't really have to worry about the thickness as long as it's a alloy sprocket?

Yeah most are 6mm or more. I think the one you mentioned is 5mm but should still be okay.

|

6/29/2019 5:18 PM

It fits a 15/16 or 24mm sprocket. You have to tap it in.

|

6/30/2019 5:19 AM

I have no first hand experience with the odd way the odyssey thunderbolts wedge works, but it looks to me you could simply just use bottom bracket washers between the arm and the sprocket and you would be good to go. No?

|

6/30/2019 5:29 AM

I seem to remember my Thunderbolts coming with a washer big enough to sit onto that shoulder, for this reason. Check the box, if you have it.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

6/30/2019 5:41 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

I have no first hand experience with the odd way the odyssey thunderbolts wedge works, but it looks to me you could simply just use bottom bracket washers between the arm and the sprocket and you would be good to go. No?

The washers are 22mm and won't push against the sprocket.

|

6/30/2019 6:42 AM

snippersnapperz wrote:

It fits a 15/16 or 24mm sprocket. You have to tap it in.

This.

When I put my sprocket on my Thunderbolts I took a board and drilled a hole for the spindle, then used a rubber mallet to tap the spindle/crank arm through the sprocket to mount it flush. Only really had to do that set up once. Once the paint wears on the crank and sprocket it comes on and off easy.

|

7/1/2019 12:06 AM

The bore of the sprocket fit the shoulder of the crank (24mm) the sprocket was not thick enough to fit on the entirety of the shoulder and because of the shoulder I couldn't use a normal BB washer. Im assuming the spindle in 19mm but the shoulder is 24mm but that is a wild guess. I ended up buying the subrosa petal sprocket which is 5.2mm thick and hoping it will fit.

|

7/1/2019 12:08 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

I seem to remember my Thunderbolts coming with a washer big enough to sit onto that shoulder, for this reason. Check the box, if you have it.

It did! Except there was still enough play for the sprocket to move and the chain to become loose. If the sprocket was slightly bigger this would've worked.

|

7/1/2019 12:11 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

I did end up finding a washer that would've fit if sprocket was slightly bigger but still had play. And because I needed so many washers for my sprocket, it wasnt aligned with wheel.

|